G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boat trailer refurb

4 posters

Go down

Boat trailer refurb Empty Boat trailer refurb

Post by Joe73 Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:01 am

I like things galvanized due to the fact they are basically no maintenance. So instead of always touching up my black paint on my bass boat trailer, I decided to galvanize it. Just like the frame in my SS that I did back in the 80's. Here's some details and pics.

Thought I'd post up my trailer refurb. This is my 2000 Trition trailer that carries my 2000 TR186. Its the tubular trailer that some people have rust problems with. I did not have any rust issues with mine, inside or out. Inside the tubes itself was some very slight surface rust but still in excellent condition. Outside did not have any rust issues either with the exception of a small scratch in the paint from over the years. I'm not a fan of having to touch up my paint every so often from rock chips and such so I was looking for something real durable. I've had numerous things galvanized over the years and it holds up really great. I even had my SS chevelle chassis galvanized back in the late 80's and I still have it. I was planning on putting on some new wheels and tires with my refurb. My tires were still the original goodyear marathons from 2000. Still in good shape but I think its time.

I'm posting this so maybe someone could use the info and have a ballpark idea of costs. If anyone has any questions, just post up or PM me and I'll be glad to help out.

Cost of blasting/cleaning the frame was $300. I took all the parts off the frame myself. Axle was removed by taking out the 4 leaf spring bolts and rolling it out as a unit. My trailer does not have brakes. I had a local guy come by with his trailerable DUSTLESS blasting unit. He sprays recycled GLASS with a small amount of water to keep the dust down. He only needed a sheet of plastic put down on the ground under the trailer. I had a spare tarp so I used that. All told, just under 3 hours to blast it clean. Then he sprayed a chemical on the bare metal which wont allow it to flash rust for 72 hours. It really came out excellent with every nook and cranny spotless.

Next I slid the axle underneath and installed the coupler. Put some magnetic trailer lights on it and my license plate. Towed it to Glastonbury, Ct. which is about 1:20 away. There Connecticut Galvanizing gave the trailer an acid bath and dipped it in the molten Zinc (galvanize). The trailer itself is a little wider than the zinc tank so both sides had to be dipped. After galvanizing, I just reinstalled the axle, lights, and towed it home. Cost of Galvanized was $301.

Got it home and installed some new 9/16" leaf spring bolts. They have a spline on them where they enter the frame in the front and press into the shakle on the rear. Just didnt want to reuse mine since they've been in and out a few times. I also put in two new 9/16" plastic sleeves for the shackle end of the springs. Lubed everything up nicely and good to go. Cost of the bolts and sleeves $20.

New 2x6 pressure treated lumber from home depot. (2) ten footers and a third cut in half for the other (2) five footers. Cost $25.

Bunk material from home depot. I looked all over to see what was available locally. This outdoor carpet has a rubber backing and looks and feels like an exact match to what UFP originally installed on my trailer. This is home depots link to it. http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100656078?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051&N=5yc1vZboil&R=100656078#.UWbiV1d4_Qg All my factory bunk bolts were stainless. I was surprised and glad. $50 for the carpeting. It comes on a 6 foot wide roll and I bought 11 1/2 feet of it.

As for wiring, I used some oil and water resistant wire I have been saving. Its 14 gauge. I snaked front to back. Soldered the connections to the main tail lights and used the quick connects for all the marker lights. Then soldered on the flat 4 plug up front. All the original lights were reused. My tails were LED already.

Tires are Towmax STR from Tirerack.com. 14" The older model was the ST. These newer ones are the STR. I believe I paid $170 delivered.

Rims are the ION 136 from trailerandtruckparts.com. $84 each with FREE shipping. So $168 there.

I installed all the original aluminum diamond plate. The ones on the wheel wells are pop riveted on like original and the step ones use double sided tape.

I ordered the original "TRITON BOATS BY Earl Bentz' stickers from Bunch Marine (thanks Mary Lou). With shipping $40.

(2) rolls of black 5/16" double line pinstripe tape from Auto Zone. $14 total. Original stripes were actually painted on.

Bolted it all together and I'm really happy with it. Inside the tubes looks excellent as well. No more issues with touching up anything.

So basically, for $600 the trailer was blasted to bare metal and dipped in galvanize. I needed to get new tires anyway so the rims were just something to dress it up a little. I didnt need new bunk boards but my carpeting was showing some wear so I just changed everything while I was waiting for the trailer to be dipped.

If I forgot to mention anything, I'll update the post. Enjoy the pics guys!!!

Boat trailer refurb 21euqkj

Boat trailer refurb 28a465e

Boat trailer refurb Dvk0nk

Boat trailer refurb 16ksx6x

Boat trailer refurb 2s6acgo

Boat trailer refurb Otez3a

Boat trailer refurb 35b5t01

Boat trailer refurb 9jzsjm

Boat trailer refurb Qzf1o6

Boat trailer refurb 2ze05xi

Boat trailer refurb 34no8j9

Boat trailer refurb Ndrnk4

Boat trailer refurb 2hewsc4

Boat trailer refurb 2h5tzt0
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Boat trailer refurb Empty Re: Boat trailer refurb

Post by Limey SE Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:09 am

wait for it

wait for it

wait for it
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:10 am

Where's the Boat
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:23 am

LOL!! 11th pic down, up on blocks with a cover on it(like my chevelle right now).

Looks like this uncovered. Minus the black trailer of course.

Boat trailer refurb 27d6s
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:30 am

Well I know where I am coming to go Fishing LOL Cant gun hunt there anymore but can fish there FOR NOW anyways LOL Obama may try to take that right away as well
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:52 pm

That galvanizing looks great, but is not a common practice around here. Didn't you have a Chevelle frame with the process?

What is the connection?
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:21 pm

Yes, my ss has a galvanized trailer in it as we speak. Although the body is off of it right now. When I lived in the city there was a local company that did galvanizing. So I had the chassis and front upper and lower arms done just so I wouldnt have to paint them. I've had some driveway gates and posts done as well. Really had painted gates every couple of years.

I've always had a saltwater boat and they come with galvanized trailers. So now I have a fresh water boat and I'm really not into touching up any chips and scratches. So galvanize it is.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:03 pm

Love the new rims on the trailer. Top work & nice job protecting the concrete slab too.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down