G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to remove 76 Grand Prix stock radio ?

+2
Limey SE
Bruisr
6 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Audio

Go down

How to remove 76 Grand Prix stock radio ?  Empty How to remove 76 Grand Prix stock radio ?

Post by 76GP50thGA Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:44 pm

I can't believe I've found a radio I can't remove Very Happy I have the main gauge bezel removed as well as the bezel over the HVAC controls. Now is where I am stuck, what's next ? Does the radio bezel and radio come out all as one ? Or, the radio then the bezel ? I don't see any nuts holding the radio in ..... help !
76GP50thGA
76GP50thGA
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

How to remove 76 Grand Prix stock radio ?  Empty Re: How to remove 76 Grand Prix stock radio ?

Post by Bruisr Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:46 pm

any pics, not familiar with your car.
Bruisr
Bruisr
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

How to remove 76 Grand Prix stock radio ?  Empty Re: How to remove 76 Grand Prix stock radio ?

Post by Limey SE Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:53 pm

76GP50thGA wrote:I can't believe I've found a radio I can't remove Very Happy I have the main gauge bezel removed as well as the bezel over the HVAC controls. Now is where I am stuck, what's next ? Does the radio bezel and radio come out all as one ? Or, the radio then the bezel ? I don't see any nuts holding the radio in ..... help !

back of radio should will have a like a muffler strap (example) piece if metal with a nut on back of radio get that off should slide out
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

How to remove 76 Grand Prix stock radio ?  Empty Re: How to Remove 76 Grand Prix Stock Radio

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:08 pm

No...here's what you've got on the backside of your radio. This is off a '77 G.P. (AM/FM/8-Track). Notice the metal bracket attached to the back of the radio and it's also secured to the back of the ashtray bracket (must remove ashtray to access it). Pull out off one or the other nuts/bolts and you're home free!

How to remove 76 Grand Prix stock radio ?  77gpra10

How to remove 76 Grand Prix stock radio ?  77gpra12
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:23 pm

Wow that sure is different than a Chevy **COUGH** (CHEAP A$$ unit).

Lookie at all them fancy schmancy connectors.

Great pics! What the heck is the little aluminum unit to the right of the radio?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:08 pm

That external finned thing is called a convector (often mistakenly referred to as an amplifier). It has two resistors on it for FM stereo and acts as a heat sink. I usually only find them on cars with the AM/FM/8-track stereo radios. That's about as technical as I can get as to what it does.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:26 pm

wow I guess so wheewww never knew they had such good set up compared chevy and tell me why GM got rid of Pontiac again LMAO
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:35 pm

I bet those Ponchos had them power antenna's that weren't in the windshields too. FAN-C.

Mcarlo- Your "Good-eye" for pulling these great G3 parts is enviable. Razz

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:33 am

Hold on there, Amigos...I've pulled a couple of these radios w/convectors out of Chevys, too. Last one was a '76 Laguna a couple yrs ago. Wouldn't be surprised to see one in my Monte (also has AM/FM/8-track stereo)...but, haven't had the need to get behind the dash to find out.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:20 am

My Malibu has one. It is installed behind the dash and not directly attached to the radio. If you only pulled the radio you wouldn't see it, I only saw it when I took my dash out.
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:07 pm

Yep...usually off towards the passenger side and behind/above the glove box area.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76GP50thGA Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:36 pm

thanks guys. great info. My problem was the radio was loose behind the bezel because the right side bezel nut was missing and the right side shaft sat WAY back making it impossible to use. After you guys helped me figure it how to remove it I see the problem. Someone repaired the radio with a new shaft but its shorter! Now I need a new am/fm 8-track. Anyone (MCarlo77) have a nice looking one to sell Very Happy
76GP50thGA
76GP50thGA
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down