G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new stereo install ?

+7
dragons_lair59
ant7377
pila
1973 454 MONTE
Limey SE
77mali
dynchel
11 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Audio

Go down

new stereo install ? Empty new stereo install ?

Post by driveit Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:13 pm

Anyone install an aftermarket steroids and had to cut the dash? Picks tips anything would help.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

new stereo install ? Empty Re: new stereo install ?

Post by dynchel Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Here's what I have.  A kenwood 2006 that my brother installed back in the '90's.  It fit without any cutting or hacking.  I'm pretty sure you're not gonna find one new nowadays though.  Below it is my Roberts CB radio I just scored for a three dollar winning bid on wwwshopgoodwill.com.
new stereo install ? <a href=new stereo install ? Img_2020" />
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:43 pm

Don't cut you dash up...please. There are plenty of 70's/80's stuff that were made to fit & they're all over flea-bay.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:37 pm

I have a Craig one Digital like that dual knob, has an Inline amp I think 60W I got from Sal Army for $1

Unknown if it works LOL
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:12 am

i cut my dash 10 years ago and wish i would of measured five times,cut once. it looks ok,but there are gaps.
new stereo install ? Rad710
you will loose the screw at the bottom right,and will have to make a hole at the upper right.
new stereo install ? Rad410
new stereo install ? Rad610
im using another dash for my car this time. there was a hole cut in it already,it looks a little better than the other one.
new stereo install ? Rad110
new stereo install ? Rad210
i have to do some work to the right side. might play with some epoxy or just paint the hole black.
new stereo install ? Rad310
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:51 am

Ok I may be being to opinionated here but if it were up to me with the skills you have I would take the radio out make a delete plate or just leave it alone and make a console and install it there. I know a lot of you like your rides to be as much stock as you can and the consoles are just that not much in the way of modern conveniences. If I had a stock dash I would not cut that whole out.

Here is what I did as for my 73 Malibu that I built for me. I wanted a arm rest and that meant no swivel buckets as they will hit when you swivel the seats in less its a real low profile console. This can be made easily if you want to retain the swivels but you will loose the arm rest.  

new stereo install ? <a href=new stereo install ? Consol10" />

I wanted cup holders as this car was built for me to cruse where ever I wanted to go. I wanted tunes and a place for my GPS that was out of the way but yet readable. so i have a stick on round pad that comes with most GPS's so I can take it out i when in town. Plus if I were to have built it in I could not update it later as they change sizes and shapes all the time.
new stereo install ? <a href=new stereo install ? Consol11" />

It also gave me room to put in the controls for the lumbar seats and side air bolsters in the seats. It also has seat heaters, as we drive this car late into the fall and spring. As I said its built for my wife and myself for comfort and function. It also let me install switches for things in a nice spot. so now we set up the iPhone for tunes on a frogger pad so it wont slide around and away we go. The kenwood has Bluetooth so we can just answer a call even by just speaking.

new stereo install ? <a href=new stereo install ? Consol12" />

I felt if it is done right it will add to the car not take away from it. I know some may not agree with me on this but others will. That's the best thing is we ALL LOVE these cars and we want to take the time, money and energy to keep them out of the crusher and that is all that matters to me. Just build it and most important drive it!!!
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:18 am

I agree with Wally...if it's done in a clean effective manner and not hacked.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:40 am

Thanks guys. Wally, you up for building a replica without the buttons at the bottom? Or did you have any plans you went by?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:53 pm

Its just wood and imagination

new stereo install ? <a href=new stereo install ? Img_3810" />

I use chip board or cardboard to make my templates then cut them out of cabinet grade 1/4" plywood then build and wrap it. Its abs plastic for the tops painted to match the car. Really simple

Sorry no plans all in my head.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:49 pm

I use a Retro sound radio ,looks great works great and no cutting!
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:29 pm

Wallyuph wrote:I wanted a arm rest and that meant no swivel buckets as they will hit when you swivel the seats in less its a real low profile console. This can be made easily if you want to retain the swivels  but you will loose the arm rest.
Actually, I have to beg to differ on this one:

new stereo install ? Center10

new stereo install ? Center11

new stereo install ? Center12

new stereo install ? Center13

You actually have more room when the seat is turned than when it's facing forward.  I could easily have gone higher, I just didn't 'cuz this felt about right when I was mocking it up.  Maybe for version 2.

Mine is of similar construction -- mocked up with cardboard, then formed from 1/4" hardboard reinforced with metal brackets, then padded and covered in vinyl. Top and faces are ABS.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by dragons_lair59 Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:53 am

http://www.casmfg.com/radios.htm
dragons_lair59
dragons_lair59
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:58 am

That's awesome that you were able to get yours to work with the swivel seats. I was wrong on that one,I did not have swivels and used different buckets so I made mine wider for the console. But looks nice.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:31 am

Thanks. I've actually been mulling over swapping out the swivels, though -- the biggest issue is that the latch mechanism is not super-tight, so in turns the seat turns left/right a fraction of an inch. Not a huge problem, just doesn't feel solid. So I was actually thinking of a straight-forward bucket like yours with a lot of side bolstering. Are those power? What are they from?
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:22 am

They are 7 way power seats as they power recline. I made one seat out of two and re foamed them for the style I wanted. They are 88-92 Olds tornado trofeeo seats for the backs with same year riviera seat bottoms. They were a lot of work. The Rivera seats were easier to do but they only put power seats on Drivers side. Plus I wanted the power recline. Find a you pull parts place and walk through to see what it out there. Had to just weld two tabs on seats for mounting other wise they even bolted in. They are wider seats than the swivels. Bring a power battery box with to test.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 am

Anyone else have any custom consoles?
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:07 am

Are the stand up seat belts stock or aftermarket on thatfnthings car? They look different than mine and i like them.Smile Smile 
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:57 am

Pontichev327 wrote:Are the stand up seat belts stock or aftermarket on thatfnthings car? They look different than mine and i like them.Smile Smile 
Thanks.  The whole front rig is the 68-73 Chevelle 3-point setup from Morris Classic Concepts.  I don't know if the buckle supports can be purchased separately -- you'd probably have to call them.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down