G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on 67 Caprice

+3
BlackChevelleSS
nittanylion64
Mcarlo77
7 posters

Go down

Advice on 67 Caprice Empty Advice on 67 Caprice

Post by nittanylion64 Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:48 pm

Been a lurker for a while. My brother has been a member for a while(Hawk03) and I need some advice. My wife inherited a 67 Caprice. It's been sitting for around 20 yrs. She wants to sell it. It has the 327 and hideaway headlights. Her dad, who owned it, was a body man and redid the body before it got parked. Does anyone have any idea what price we should ask? Or should we keep it for a project for my son and I? Thanks in advance!

nittanylion64
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Advice on 67 Caprice Empty Re: Advice on 67 Caprice

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:07 pm

You don't really give many details as to the overall condition of the car to provide much basis for a valuation.  There are lots of variables that need to be taken into consideration to determine an approx. value.  First in my mind would be how it was stored?  Indoors?  Outdoors?  In a field?  How has the body and paint held up after having been reworked 20 yrs ago?  Condition of interior?  What other options does it have?  Does it have the original drive train?  Automatic or manual?  Mileage?  Can you get it running?  Is it a 2-dr or 4-dr?  Etc. Even color of paint can affect value.

I do know the hide-away headlights are somewhat rare on this era of Caprices and very desirable to some enthusiasts.  However, I also believe they weren't available from the factory until 1968.  Most likely, your father-in-law swapped a front end from a '68 when he did the body work.  Might want to research that further.

I vote for keeping it as a father-son project and keeping it in the family.  Just make sure your son is really into it and it doesn't become just a father project...although, there's nothing wrong with you restoring it for you, either.  LOL!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by nittanylion64 Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:13 am

Sorry, all of that information would be good to know, wouldn't it? As far as I know everything is stock. The drivetrain is all original. I do not believe the headlights were added. The issue with the headlights has become a fuzzy one. The little bit of research I have done, I found a couple 67 with the hideaway lights. The interior is pretty chewed up. It's been semi indoors-Large chicken coop, but that coop hasn't been used in 40 or so years. It ran just fine when parked. I do not know about any specific options. It is a 2 door coupe. It's silver in color, I doubt that is the original color. It's an automatic. I have found basic shells of this car for sale for around 5500. I do believe this car is better than those. They had weeds coming out of the car.
I personally would like to keep it. After seeing what my brother (Hawk03) has been doing to his Malibu and how "easy" these older cars are to work on, I think we could make this car pretty darn cool.

nittanylion64
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:17 am

Ever watch the show "supernatural" ? If you did you wouldnt want to sell it

Advice on 67 Caprice SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:22 am

Chevy put their best quality stuff on the big bodies. I used to have one and they are great cars. Trouble is I have not heard of ANY demand for the big body cars. Demand equals big bucks and low demand equals very low value. Maybe where you are located there is a demand for them, if you can get big bucks for it, take it. Personally I would want to keep a nice car like that. It will need a complete fuel system cleanup, maybe even new lines and tank and the carb will definately need a rebuild. Engine gaskets will probably need replacing and all rubber hoses and belts will probably need replacing. The brake system will need flushing and new wheel cylinders installed with the fresh fluid. I say fix it up and drive it! JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:02 am

Idk, around here big b body's (esp chevys) are very desirable and they tend to sell for more than you would expect, not tens of thousands of dollars but several thousand at least.  '67 is one of my favorite years.Thumbs up
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:02 am

Keep it (the wife will eventually come around). Wink 
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:47 pm

BlackChevelleSS wrote:Ever watch the show "supernatural" ? If you did you wouldnt want to sell it
Then you'll want to add the pillar search lights.

And the demon-killing knife and the Colt wouldn't hurt, either. They go in the trunk next to the holy water and the salt. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down