G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shocks, gas vs oil filled?

3 posters

Go down

Shocks, gas vs oil filled? Empty Shocks, gas vs oil filled?

Post by dynchel Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:21 pm

I just won a eBay auction for two NOS "Gulf" brand shocks. I got both delivered for $20.00, I consider that a pretty good score. The thing I found when I opened them is that they are Old school oil filled shocks instead of the more common gas filled. I guess my question basicallly is will these work well for me? My main objective is strong in a straight line (drag racing) even though I don't technically race it. These are hard to pull apart, but compress easily, so this should make the car squat on take off? That is (I think) what I want it to do. Any thoughts? Thank you John m.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Shocks, gas vs oil filled? Empty Re: Shocks, gas vs oil filled?

Post by bracketchev1221 Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:22 pm

A squat is not necessarily a good thing launching a car. A squat, in physics terms, is the rear being pulled up off the ground. What you want the car to do is for the body and suspension to separate forcing the tires into the ground. You then control the separation by controlling the separation rate. Sometimes the car hits harder than the tire can handle, so that is when a squat to some extent is helpful, because it softens the hit on the tire.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:38 pm

Thanks for the response. My setup is not very wild (305 headed 350 with basic bolt on's). Built trans and 373 gears with a powertrax locker. The rearend also has aftermarket control arms with a one inch sway bar. I am trying to fix a wheel hop problem, but have very limited funds to do so. I was advised by a coworker (ase master tech) to install the oil shocks and lower the a/p in the rear tires to 25 psi and give it a try. At this point I have nothing to lose so that's what I'm going to do.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:58 pm

Sounds like front shock that were used to keep the front end from rising during a launch at the drag strip...like the 90/10 variety

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:12 pm

The 90/10 shock does the opposite. It allows the front end to rise. It is 10% force to extend but 90% to compress. They are good for weight transfer but tend to hold the nose up in the wind going down track.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:30 pm

OK, Ray, I had it backwards !!Very Happy

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:18 am

bracketchev1221 wrote:A squat is not necessarily a good thing launching a car.  A squat, in physics terms, is the rear being pulled up off the ground.  What you want the car to do is for the body and suspension to separate forcing the tires into the ground.  You then control the separation by controlling the separation rate.  Sometimes the car hits harder than the tire can handle, so that is when a squat to some extent is helpful, because it softens the hit on the tire.  
http://pmtfabrication.com/product/chevelle-gto-cutlass-camaro-trailing-arms-relocation-brackets-2
I just placed my order for these, This seems to the most common fix for wheel hop plus they aren't real expensive.  My next purchase will be the control arm supports, they just seem a bit expensive for what they are. Mad these are from the same company that I bought my rear control arm set from, and was very happy with the quality of the product.

Last edited by dynchel on Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added details)
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:07 pm

I guess I don't know what those are for. The Camaro has leaf springs in the rear, while A bodies have upper & lower control arms......(??)

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:20 pm

They lower the mounting point of the lower control arm changing the geometry of the rear suspension to load the tires on hard acceleration.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:13 pm

Right, camaro should not be included in the listing. But basically if you look at the upper and lower control arms on the rear and plot imaginary lines from them forward they would intersect somewhere in the car. Or in some cases way out in front of the car. This doesn't help to plant the tire on launch. So if you change the angle of the upper or lower bar, it brings the imaginary intersection point back farther in the car to apply more leverage and plant the tire harder.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:29 pm

Good explanation Ray. Now it makes sense.....I think the Camaro inclusion had me guessing what they could be for.

Bill

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down