G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rodent chewed wires , check under your hoods

+5
77mali
thatfnthing
JiMi_DRiX
Mcarlo77
ant7377
9 posters

Go down

Rodent chewed wires , check under your hoods Empty Rodent chewed wires , check under your hoods

Post by magic marouke Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:53 pm

I went to check the oil in my truck and found a nest sitting right there on top of the
Engine . After digging it out I noticed my intruder had chewed a wire in the wiring harness . Managed to repair it with some difficulty as it was close to the plug with not much room to play with for repair .
Thought I'd tell y'all to check under your hoods on all your vehicles . Take a good look around , they love chewing the insulation around the wires .
I've put moth balls and bait chunks in the engine compartment of both trucks and the monte . I read that rodents hate moth balls so got some but get this .... The cheeky bugger carried moth balls from my truck to my girlfriends car and built a nest in that also . What the hell !!!!
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Rodent chewed wires , check under your hoods Empty Re: Rodent chewed wires , check under your hoods

Post by ant7377 Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:14 pm

Get a cat. My neighbor has them I havent had a mouse near hear in a few years.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Rodent chewed wires , check under your hoods Empty Re: Rodent chewed wires , check under your hoods

Post by magic marouke Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:34 pm

ant7377 wrote:Get a cat. My neighbor has them I havent had a mouse near hear in a few years.
I live in the country and there's a few wild cats about . Had to set some rat traps
Today as the bugger is back again . Really hate vermin especially when they mess with my vehicles
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:27 pm

Always heard scented dryer sheets were a good deterent.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:22 pm

I had a weasel chew up the wiring in my Caddy beater last year, and he (or she !) tore the hood insulation all off & made quite a mess.
Didn't know what kind of animal did it, until I saw it crossing my back lawn.
I'm thinking about a couple muskrat traps, attached to trees in the back lawn...

Didn't have any field mice problems, but our cat died last week, 11 years old Sad  so....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:49 pm

We have pack rats out here in the desert, Ive seen cars get towed into the dealership with tons of damage and huge nests!
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:53 pm

Rodent chewed wires , check under your hoods 26C1CDF0-60C8-4323-B173-620EBFC24FFF_zps2i9abms2

Got the bugger ! Just checked the carport tonight and found it . Will still be setting more traps tonight for any of his buddy's that may come around .ive already set two traps under the truck hood but looks like the one in the carport got him before he could get there .
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:59 pm

Oh and don't even bother with moth balls like a read about . They don't don't anything . In fact I put some on the engine of my truck and the rat took some from there and into the engine compartment of my girlfriends car to a nest it made there .
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:42 am

Had a similar sized POS in my workshop last year & a squirrel too. They can't resist "chunky" peanut butter. Instant death....Very Happy 
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:49 pm

77mali wrote:Had a similar sized POS in my workshop last year & a squirrel too.  They can't resist "chunky" peanut butter.  Instant death....Very Happy 
Yea I use peanut butter to bait my mice traps in the house . It's not that that kills them though right ? Heard they love it so use it as bait
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:35 pm

Gumdrops. Just as attractive, but without the mess. However, if you really have a rat problem, you need poison -- they will easily outbreed your traps.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:16 pm

The bait I used on the trap that caught that one last night was TOMCAT ALL WEATHER BAIT CHUNKS . Seemed to do the trick . Set a bunch of traps agin last night but nothing this morning . Will keep the traps there for a few days more
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:28 pm

Flame thrower Twisted Evil 

The peanut butter will attract them to the trap....then KABOOOOOOOYAH

lol! 
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:54 pm

In the old days I tried some chocolate from a Hersey bar, in traps, and it worked very good. Peanut butter seems better though, for a lasting aroma for bait.
At least my house is tight enough to keep mice out, except one time one came into the duct for the clothes dryer. The kitty took care of that one..

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:33 am

Traps with sunflower seeds in the peanut butter. Themice try to pull the seed out and that's it.

Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:04 pm

I have a motorhome and on their forum they say to put traps and bait around the tires not on the vehicle. That way you get them on the way to the car not in it. So far has worked for me.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:17 pm

While repairing the wiring that the weasel chewed off in my old Caddy, I ended up with a green wire & no place to put it !!
Worse than that, is that I have all the factory manuals for the car, and that green wire isn't part of the engine harness, in any wiring diagrams.... Head Bang 
Everything seems to work though, so it's still a mystery ! Very Happy 

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by magic marouke Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:11 am

Ghost Rider wrote:I have a motorhome and on their forum they say to put traps and bait around the tires not on the vehicle. That way you get them on the way to the car not in it. So far has worked for me.

That's just where I caught my rat by the tire of the truck . Figured that's the only way they can get to the engine . Either that or the power cord for the block heater .
magic marouke
magic marouke
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down