G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

emergency brake cable route

+5
thatfnthing
bitterfitter
RobW
dynchel
driveit
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

emergency brake cable route Empty emergency brake cable route

Post by bitterfitter Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:16 pm

I know this is a stupid question, but... Does the emergency brake cable go over or under the transmission crossmember? I had it installed under but it really didn't look right. It juhg down and rubbed on the crossmember. I just took it apart and tried to run it over and there is no way. The front cable tries to end right over the hump in the double hump crossmember. I am at a loss. Mad 

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

emergency brake cable route Empty Re: emergency brake cable route

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:41 pm

Certain it goes over the crossmember. Should extend a little further past it to grab the intermediate cable.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:37 pm

If I remember correctly, mine is routed under with wire brackets to the frame to keep it tight. If I get a chance I'll look tonight.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:41 pm

I think its under as well. I do have a short arm that goes in a hole on the crossmember to also hold it up.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:48 pm

Mine just kinda hangs there. It is very loose and has never worked so I never use it.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:17 pm

It must vary, then, because mine was originally over the crossmember. It's below now, though, as I replaced it all with aftermarket stuff (incl the crossmember).
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:27 am

Joe73 wrote:I think its under as well.  I do have a short arm that goes in a hole on the crossmember to also hold it up.
That sounds exactly like what I have.  Maybe Monte carlo's had it above and chevelle below?  I wanted to snap a picture but the car is parked against a wall with another car right on it.  When I squeezed my fat a$$ on the ground the exhaust was blocking my view. Mad
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by RobW Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:34 pm

Hi,
Here is a picture of the routing on my 74 chevelle.  If you zoom in, you can see that it goes over the crossmember.
emergency brake cable route Picture019

It may have changed in 75, when they changed the crossmember.

Rob

RobW
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:44 pm

Nope...my '75 Laguna has it running over the crossmember as does my '77 Monte.  I know the Monte's has never been touched...and, pretty certain the Laguna's hasn't been, either.  But, as I said previously, you'll notice on Rob's car that the adjuster link from the front emergency cable extends a little past the hump so it can connect to the intermediate cable.  Every car I've looked at in the salvage yards looked just like this.

By the way Rob, looks like you could eat off that underside! Nice job...and nice pic!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:17 pm

I am curious. Maybe because I moved the crossmember back to the last holes because I am running a 200-4r? My adjuster is right above the hump and it is pinched between the floor and hump. I have no choice but to go under. Then I wonder if it lays on the exhaust or dangles under it?....

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:42 pm

I think you're onto something there.  The big block cars used the back holes to mount the crossmember.  I was doing some online research for the front parking brake cable.  Learned on the Inline Tube site that the TH400 does, in fact, use a longer front cable than the TH350.  The Parts Place doesn't differentiate this in their catalog...just showing one cable for all.  So...your front cable is now too short and this is why your adjuster is wedged above your hump (that's what she said...ha!).
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:25 pm

That makes sense -- the TH400 used the back set of holes on the frame for the crossmember, which we have to use because the TH200-4R is the same length as the TH400. I would have run into the same issue if I hadn't scrapped it all for aftermarket stuff.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:41 pm

I'm having trouble finding anybody who sells a longer front cable for the TH400. Even Inline Tube, who stated there was a difference, only shows one cable for all '73-'77 cars. Rockauto will show same part numbers for either tranny, except for an AC Delco number they specify for a TH400. Look it up online and find it is also a 51 3/4" lg cable...same as on the TH350 ( I have one I pulled off a TH350 right here with me and that is what it measures).  Jacking 
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:29 am

Does anyone think it would cause issues to run this able under the crossmember? Over is not an option for me. Also; if the front cable is longer, then is the intermediate cable shorter to compensate for this?

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:02 pm

Mine runs below, mostly because the stock cable connects to the Lokar cables at a bracket that has to be mounted on my crossmember. No problems. I'll see if I can get a shot tonight.

If I had to guess, the factory probably put it up there to simply protect it and keep it out of the way. As long as it's secure and won't snag on anything, I would think you should probably be okay.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by WyldeBill66 Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:56 pm

Mine is under on my 75 Chevelle. Don't know if it's been messed with though. Everything else seems to have been on this car...laughs...

WyldeBill66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Silentknight85 Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:43 pm

Do the rear cables go over or under the lower control arms? Neither look right, but I've never seen these installed.
Silentknight85
Silentknight85
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:49 pm

Over. Thats why there is a heavy rubber sleeve on the cable. It actually lays on the arm.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Silentknight85 Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:51 pm

makes sense. thanks
Silentknight85
Silentknight85
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

emergency brake cable route Empty Cable length

Post by Silentknight85 Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:22 am

Does anyone have a length measurement on the intermediate e-brake cable? I've tried installing the cable as shown in several pictures and I have a LOT of slack left in the line. It hits the floor after all the pieces are installed. I believe I ordered the kit from OPGI a couple years back.

Thanks.
Silentknight85
Silentknight85
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:32 pm

If you mean the long cable that goes from rear wheel to rear wheel, they come in all different lengths. I found that when I looked for my application it was a different length than what I have from the factory. Different by inches not because of any stretch.
Measure yours and find a match or if yours is missing maybe someone can post up a length of theirs.
What do you have? 2 or 4 door and what trans ?
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:33 pm

I've got a spare that measures about 96" lg. It's off my '75 Laguna 350 as I bought a shiny new one when I did my brakes.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Silentknight85 Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:18 pm

I bought the only kit on OPGI, not sure what the application is, but it says it fits the 73-77. https://www.opgi.com/chevelle/1974/brake-systems/emergency-parking-brakes/C210150/

I have a 74 2 door with a th350 trans. I measured the line a few moments ago. It's 115 inches in length. Yes, it's the cable that goes from wheel to wheel.
Silentknight85
Silentknight85
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:11 pm

Last I checked, rockauto had quite a few for our cars. I also cross referenced at acdelco.com. Lower right corner of the acdelco page allows you to search the catalog and our cars are listed.
I dont know why all the differences with 2 door cars. I can see two lengths, I for a th350 car and another length for a th400 car since the trans crossmember is in a different location.
But I have a stick car and I use a 107.25" cable. And my crossmember is in the same place as a th350 car.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Silentknight85 Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:25 pm

Ok, I think what I'll do is hook it up and pull one end till iit's taut and measure the length left over.
Silentknight85
Silentknight85
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next