G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1977 El Camino Custom

+8
Colonnade Mattie
Joe73
chevellelaguna
riddick75
dynchel
Mcarlo77
JB2wheeler
switchbiker
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

1977 El Camino Custom - Page 2 Empty Re: 1977 El Camino Custom

Post by riddick75 Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:16 pm

ok I wasn't sure if you knew of any panels that were close to work with a little work.
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:34 pm

Are there any tips to changing the rear shocks? I really need to get these coil over cargo shocks off!
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:13 pm

JiMi_DRiX wrote:Are there any tips to changing the rear shocks? I really need to get these coil over cargo shocks off!
Assuming a elcamino is the same as a chevelle, its just a 3/4 bolt on the bottom and two 1/2 inchers on top. Pretty straightforward.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:49 pm

You have to reach up & over the top of the frame tab for the nuts on top end of the shocks, which is no big deal. I still like the air shocks myself, and if you are drag racing a bit, some air bags inside of the springs can be tweaked to get a better launch.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:25 am

pila wrote:You have to reach up & over the top of the frame tab for the nuts on top end of the shocks, which is no big deal.  I still like the air shocks myself, and if you are drag racing a bit, some air bags inside of the springs can be tweaked to get a better launch.

Thats what I was worried about, is it easy to do in the driveway? I dont plan on drag racing it, shes a dog in the throttle dept, lol, thats why I have the Cobra! My friend with his 65 Camino has air bags, and uses them to his advantage on the track. I think it runs 10's!
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by riddick75 Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:47 am

JiMi_DRiX wrote:
pila wrote:You have to reach up & over the top of the frame tab for the nuts on top end of the shocks, which is no big deal.  I still like the air shocks myself, and if you are drag racing a bit, some air bags inside of the springs can be tweaked to get a better launch.

Thats what I was worried about, is it easy to do in the driveway? I don't plan on drag racing it, shes a dog in the throttle dept, lol, thats why I have the Cobra! My friend with his 65 Camino has air bags, and uses them to his advantage on the track. I think it runs 10's!
yea you can do them in the drive way easily,
riddick75
riddick75
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:50 pm

So now that I have the front end aligned, the next job is to fix the speedo. The needle on the dash is wobbly, and is off by quite a bit. I was told the cable is new, so my next suspect is the tranny gear. Is this easy to get out? Its been years since I've pulled one.

I also need help with the interior plastic parts. I plan on replacing them with black, but I want to see how they are suppose to fit and line up from the factory. Someone put screws in mine all over, and it looks like they dont fit right either. Can someone please snap some photos for me?

Is this giant gap suppose to be here? Does anything go in there? Insulation?

1977 El Camino Custom - Page 2 20140417_180152_zps59eidnhk

The gap between the shelf and the plastic?

1977 El Camino Custom - Page 2 20140417_180121_zpsnogkej2h
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by chevellelaguna Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:36 pm

The speedo gear is super easy to remove there's just one bolt that holds a plate that holds the gear in, careful it'll leak trans fluid a bit when you pull the gear out. They're cheap to replace as well! Probably have a red one in there now.
chevellelaguna
chevellelaguna
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:33 am

chevellelaguna wrote:The speedo gear is super easy to remove there's just one bolt that holds a plate that holds the gear in, careful it'll leak trans fluid a bit when you pull the gear out. They're cheap to replace as well! Probably have a red one in there now.

I really hope that's it, and I don't have to get it custom calibrated like when I changed the rear end in the 76 Monte. I'll pull it out soon and see what shape it's in.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:03 am

I'm sure you prob know this, but just in case, when you take the speedo gear out of the tail-shaft fluid will come out.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:06 pm

77mali wrote:I'm sure you prob know this, but just in case, when you take the speedo gear out of the tail-shaft fluid will come out.

Nope, tranny stuff isn't something I've too knowledgable on. But all you're saying is, its going to make a little mess, and I need to add some more fluid when I'm done?
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:43 pm

Could make a big mess, make sure you have a good sized catch pan underneath it.  I forget the exact amt of fluid but it's a lot & it flows inside all the way back to the tail shaft where it meets the drive shaft. If you're quick about it you shouldn't loose too much but it may kind of "gush out". You can lean the car a little to the opposite side on jack stands, that might help to have the fluid move over, so to speak. Be safe if you do that though.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:37 pm

Thanks for the tip! I'll jack it up on the driver side a bit to save some fluid. I need to get the pan, dipstick, and throttle cable sealed up still too. After that everything should be ok for now. Id like to do an intake and carb later down the road. I'm still looking for seat belts. I have met some good people for parts though!
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:50 pm

If the pan is leaking bad you might be better off draining all the fluid in the trans first & installing a new gasket.  If there is even a small gap the trans fluid will find it's way out.  Any Autozone should have a replacement gasket pretty cheap & it's good insurance.  Be careful not too squish the gasket- I think the torque spec is 35 ft lbs (need to verify that) for the bolts.  Look up your transmissions bolt tightening sequence also.  Usually when I torque bolts I will get to the required ft lbs in 3 sequences.  So, for 35 ft lbs you could tighten to 20, then to 30 & then lastly to 35, in the proper sequential order.  It takes time but again, good insurance.

If you have a drain plug in the pan, it's a bonus as lots of these cars don't have them.  If not, it's a messy process to take off the pan with all that fluid in it & a good sized container will be necessary.  Go to Home Depot's/Loews masonry/concrete section, there you will find pretty cheap plastic "Mortar mixing tubs" that s/b large enough to catch all the stuff  coming out as you remove the bolts.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:06 pm

Get the reuseable pan gasket. Its made out of a rubbery material (I think nitrile), it has a steel core and bushings in the bolt holes so you cant overtighten it. I got mine at auto zone. It was about 25-30 bucks but well worth it. I have it in my 99 lesabre and I've done three trans fluid changes and reused it every time. Still no leaks.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:50 pm

Yeah I have a drain plug in the pan, but the pan is kind of banged up, so I might get a new one. I will ask about the gasket, I know the trans pan is a pain in the A$$.
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:53 pm

If you do end up using the cheap cork/rubber gasket, here's a trick I used to do that helps alot. Since the gasket was folded in a box it doesnt want to lay flat on your pan for the install. I just use some sewing thread and tie down the gasket in a few places where it wont lay flat. Makes for a much easier install. The thread is so thin it wont leak.
Just a thought.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:46 pm

If you jack the rear end of it up a bit, the trans fluid may not leak out as much,   Replacing the pan sounds like a good idea though, if it's not in good shape,  The gasket will come with a new filter of course, so it's a good move.

As to the plastic trim behind the seat, that's the way is came from the factory.  The Classic had trim going down to the carpet, so maybe you can find some trim from a Classic.  My '75 was the same way, but I used the interior from my '77 Classic.

This pick shows the trim on the rear of the passenger side door opening, where it comes down to the door sill & carpet.  

I covered the factory insulation on the back wall with Naugahyde. The brackets on the back wall are for the jack & spare tire.

1977 El Camino Custom - Page 2 P1011279_zpsabf98e8f

Bill

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:25 pm

pila wrote:If you jack the rear end of it up a bit, the trans fluid may not leak out as much,   Replacing the pan sounds like a good idea though, if it's not in good shape,  The gasket will come with a new filter of course, so it's a good move.

As to the plastic trim behind the seat, that's the way is came from the factory.  The Classic had trim going down to the carpet, so maybe you can find some trim from a Classic.  My '75 was the same way, but I used the interior from my '77 Classic.

This pick shows the trim on the rear of the passenger side door opening, where it comes down to the door sill & carpet.  

I covered the factory insulation on the back wall with Naugahyde.  The brackets on the back wall are for the jack & spare tire.

1977 El Camino Custom - Page 2 P1011279_zpsabf98e8f

Bill

Ah, as to let the fluid run out of the tail shaft and more up to the front of the trans? That sounds like a good idea.

Classic had trim going down to the carpet? What do you mean? I have those lower pieces that I can see in your picture, with the vent in them. Im missing some of those brackets for the spare tire and jack. I only have the middle one, and one of the small ones on the left. The carpet is probably covering the loop where the tire hold down would hook in. Is that a pocket you added to the rear curtain piece?
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:38 pm

Yes, a pocket is sewn into the that cover. Not sure what to use it for though.....maybe a map or something flat etc....

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JiMi_DRiX Tue May 06, 2014 1:21 am

I pulled the speedo gear out today, finally. It looks slightly worn, but not bad. I turned the cable using a drill, and it seems kind of ok? But it might have been the weak battery in my drill. Either way, I'm getting a new gear and going from there.

Does anyone have the clips for the front fender trim? It looks like they are suppose to slide into the trim, and screw into the fender.

Also, why is there no rear swaybar?
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue May 06, 2014 6:55 pm

All the G3 Elcos I've owned didn't have a rear Stabilizer bar. And no holes in the lower control arms either, so......??

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonnade Mattie Tue May 06, 2014 7:31 pm

My 73 el camino had a rear sway bar..some had them and some did not. 1977 El Camino Custom - Page 2 Image-45
Colonnade Mattie
Colonnade Mattie
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue May 06, 2014 8:57 pm

My '77 had heavy duty suspension, but no rear stab bar, and it did ride harder than the '73 I traded in on it...
Maybe just another option that most folks didn't go for or even know about ( like me ! )

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Colonnade Mattie Tue May 06, 2014 9:21 pm

Oh I guess I don't know if my bar was factory but it had one I'm getting mixed up here my 72 Chevelle ss 454 had the bar factory for sure that was f41 it's been a few years. So maybe el caminos didn't have the bar..my bad.
Colonnade Mattie
Colonnade Mattie
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next