G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install

+5
Dinomyte
driveit
Mcarlo77
dynchel
JiMi_DRiX
9 posters

Go down

bucket seat - 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install Empty 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:57 pm

Here are some pics of the upholstery job I did on my 75 Laguna. I think I did a better job than the shop I paid good money to for installing the seat kits in my 76 SS el camino.

bucket seat - 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install Steel_10
Bare Steel Bucket Frame

bucket seat - 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install Bucket10
Steel Bucket Frame Painted with Rust Encapsulator

bucket seat - 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install New_se10
New Seat Foam Kit...with modifications for proper fit

bucket seat - 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install Swivel10
Installation of Upper Half

bucket seat - 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install Driver10
Drivers Side Completed

bucket seat - 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install Rear_s10
Back Seat Completed
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

bucket seat - 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install Empty Re: 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install

Post by JiMi_DRiX Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:10 am

Looks really good. Where did you get the skins? Do you have a thread with pics of your cars? I would love to check them out!
JiMi_DRiX
JiMi_DRiX
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

bucket seat - 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install Empty Re: 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install

Post by dynchel Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:43 am

Yes, very nice work.  I've been told swivels are are real p.I.t.a. to recover.  Hell Chris (1973454 Monte) told me he was quoted $1000.00 to recover his.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:05 pm

Those are awesome....... Why do you have to be in TX and not KY? ugh... Definitely post more pics!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:54 pm

These are supposed to be the hardest seats to upholster according to PUI Interiors. I would have to agree. The new seat foams are slightly different from the originals as well as the upholstery kit I purchased from 1A-Auto. As a result I had to use additional foam and loose fiber filling in several areas. The seat kit is for a 73 Cutlass 442 but will fit all the chevys with swivel buckets. Here are some additional pics.

bucket seat - 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install Front_10

bucket seat - 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install Seats_10

bucket seat - 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install 75_lag10
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:01 pm

I think it's PUI who has a video on how they install the covers at their shop. Their resident expert is up on top of the work station wrestling with this seat he's covering and has one of those steamers poking it around trying to soften the vinyl. Makes it look near impossible for a do-it-yourselfer.

Do you have upholstery experience that allowed you to do such a nice job? They look perfect!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:08 pm

Here is the thread to the video I did of my 76 SS el camino.  https://www.g3gm.com/t6952-my-76-ss-el-camino-finally-restored

Also here are a couple pics.

bucket seat - 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install Pass_s10

bucket seat - 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install Pass_s11

bucket seat - 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install Interi10
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Wed Jun 18, 2014 12:55 am

Beautiful.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:55 pm

I watched the PUI video to get a better idea of how to do it. I noticed their upholstery kits are slightly different than the kit I bought in the way they secure to the bucket frame. The end result appears to be a more clean look than the PUI setup. I'm very happy with the kit I purchased from 1A Auto. From what I can figure out, the manufacturer of this kit is Quality Car Interior which makes most of their products in the U.S. I did have access to a steamer which my wife purchased several years back for cleaning bathrooms and such which helped in removing some of the wrinkles. The only other experience I have had with upholstery is when I got my seats back from the upholstery shop after installing the same kit for my el camino and they looked like hammered crap....almost $500 later! Below is a couple pics of that job. So I took them apart when I got them home and re-installed them the best I knew how at the time and the result is in the pics I posted yesterday. They look pretty decent for an amateur like myself. I would think most anyone on this forum with any kind of technical skill can do this install with a little patience. I certainly wouldn't pay a shop again to do this job since most upholstery shops have never seen these types of seats to begin with.

bucket seat - 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install Seats_11

bucket seat - 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install Seats_12
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:11 am

g3chevy - you look like a man who's taken these apart. How do you remove & reinstall the hard plastic cover from the back of the buckets?

thanks
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:36 am

When the securing trim is remove around the entire perimeter of the seat you will probably see a couple of small screws near the bottom front edge of the hard plastic covers. Remove the screws and you should be able to work the plastic cover away from the steel bucket frame. Hope this helps.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:09 pm

Thanks - do I just pull / pry the trim away? I can see that the plastic back seems like a loose piece in there, which would fit the 2 screws holding it in place description.

Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:02 am

With the securing trim and screws removed it should come right off. Start at the bottom and pull the plastic cover away from the steel frame from the hole where the swivel base bolts on. That should do the trick.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:12 am

I meant how does the securing trim come off?
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:30 am

The seam for the securing trim is at the bottom front of your seat. There maybe screws in it as well that you will have to remove from the trim before prying it off. This may take a little effort since there are small metal clips that hold it in place around the entire perimeter of the steel bucket. Most of the clips will stay on the steel bucket frame so they can be removed after the seat cover is off. You will need to cut all the hog rings from the seat covers if you want to remove it completely. Hope this all makes sense.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bitterfitter Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:45 am

Is the set of covers in the photos with the securing trim from PUI?  I have a set from them and they do not have this trim around the outside.  I am disappointed as I expected it to be there as the original covers I removed had it.

bitterfitter
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:02 pm

If you are talking about the Black pinch welt it goes on after the covers are installed. Here is a place to get it from wholesale.
http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Fasteners/Pinch_welt/index.html
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:22 pm

The kits I have used were manufactured by Quality Car Interior, sold by 1A-Auto. They use pinch welt trim like Wallyuph mentioned earlier. Below are a couple pics of the left over trim from my project to give you a better idea.
bucket seat - 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install Pinch_10
bucket seat - 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install Pinch_11
bucket seat - 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install Pinch_12
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by caseymonte Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:04 am

These seats look fantastic.  I am about to pull the trigger on a set for a 74' Monte.  Is this the company that made your seats?  I know yours are from 442 and actually like your seats better, but I may go with the Monte pattern.  

bucket seat - 75 Laguna Bucket Seat Upholstery Set Install Img_2411

caseymonte
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:07 am

After doing a little research I discovered these were actually made by Acme Auto Headlining Company. Below is their link. 1-A Auto no longer carries these upholstery sets but I believe Rock Auto and others still do. I had mine special ordered with the perforated vinyl inserts to make them look for like the original seats. Unfortunately with Rock Auto they have no Customer Service to speak of so special orders through them would be impossible. Best hope would be to find another company that carries them which you should be able to find on ebay. These kits fit great and are of good quality. Hope this helps.

http://www.acmeautoheadlining.com/19olcu442cof.html
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by caseymonte Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:50 pm

That is a big help. They are actually cheaper from Rockauto.com.

caseymonte
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down