G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Educate me on springs

+9
99B4C
76 Malibu
brownbomber77
KC77Monte
bracketchev1221
Joe73
bigredlaguna
ant7377
1973 454 MONTE
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Educate me on springs - Page 2 Empty Re: Educate me on springs

Post by 76 Malibu Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:55 am

73CopperMonte wrote:If you search google for a moog spring chart, you can find all the specs on the springs. Load height, free height, wire diameter, etc. I think the problems with the Crown Vic springs would be the inner and outer diameter, they might be too narrow or wide to sit in the lower control arm correctly. The 3rd gen f-body, s10 pickup blazers, astro van all have a similar id od spring. I want to try 85-95 Astro variable rate springs, they start at 600 lbs.

The Crown Vic FRONT springs are the pretty much the same diameter as the G3 springs.  I am not taking about the rears, (they will NOT work) only the Moog 80090, CVPI spring at 710 in/lbs.   These were the front springs used on the pre 2003 Crown Vic cop cars, the 2003+ use a coil over that would not work.   The 80090 are listed at 4.04" while most Moog springs for G3 cars are 4.04" or 4.08".  I know they will physically fit, but the ride height would be a crap shoot until they are installed.  I estimate they would be close but maybe some trimming would be required to get the proper stance.

In fact the B-body guys have been using the Moog 80090 in their cars and we already know our springs swap between those platforms.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=248278
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by 99B4C Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:51 pm

Limey wrote:Going to try Impala SS lowering front springs later this year, Says they will take an inch or so Lower will keep y'all updated to see  how they workout.

Thanks, I want to see how the Impala rear springs workout.

99B4C
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:03 pm

73CopperMonte wrote:
Limey wrote:Going to try Impala SS lowering front springs later this year, Says they will take an inch or so Lower will keep y'all updated to see  how they workout.

Thanks, I want to see how the Impala rear springs workout.

So would I, LOL I am getting Front lowering ones
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by alowerlevel Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:10 pm

Dont forget that the impala ss was about 1" lower than the caprice from the factory, so a 1" drop spring for an SS will be equal to around a 2" drop spring on a caprice
alowerlevel
alowerlevel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:18 am

I'm looking at cleaning up/painting and reusing my original springs. They look good (to me anyway) and I'd like to keep the ride height the exact same. I'm kind of afraid that no matter where I buy new ones- some dang thing will change. The only things that have changed is an aluminum intake & a 350 vs the original 305. Anyone else ever restore/reuse theirs after a tear-down?
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:48 am

If you are happy with the ride height by all means reuse them.  I usually end up removing springs after a time and cutting them because I like a lower stance.  BTW I have two sets of rear springs i will be looking to get rid of if anyone is interested.  I will probably post them upon Monday.

Last edited by dynchel on Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:51 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added details)
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2