G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Performance is in the basics DON'T IGNORE THEM

4 posters

Go down

Performance is in the basics DON'T IGNORE THEM Empty Performance is in the basics DON'T IGNORE THEM

Post by bracketchev1221 Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:22 am

Just figured I would relay a story for a strip car I have been working on lately for a friend. Long story short, is that he built his car over many years and family issues and finally got it completed and out to the track last year. Now after dealing with many "experts" and their advice, the car fell short on performance and could only go 12.01 at 112 mph.

This is where I got involved. Here is a list of what I did over the past year.
1. Added collector extensions to the headers to increase low end torque.
2. changed the power valve in the front of the carb to eliminate off idle stumble, lowered floats, and added vent hose to connect front and rear bowls
3. changed the plug wires from Accel super stock to MSD 8.5 wires
4. Talked to cam grinder about the cam and adjusted the lash numbers .002 and .008.
5. changed shift point from 6000 to 7000.
6. dropped oil level from 7 to 6.5 qts and added larger filter
7. raised timing from 36 to 38
8. eliminated PCV valve and used 2 breathers
9. changed rear gear from 4.57 to 4.86
10. changed front springs to be softer
11. lowered octane from 112 to 110 since it was only 12:1 compression

This past weekend the same car went 11.40 at 117 mph.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Performance is in the basics DON'T IGNORE THEM Empty Re: Performance is in the basics DON'T IGNORE THEM

Post by dynchel Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:53 am

i've always been told that you want a pcv valve & that a two breather setup is not good, however that is probably advice for a street car. I personally bought the msd wires myself because they came highly rated from damn near everyone.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Performance is in the basics DON'T IGNORE THEM Empty Re: Performance is in the basics DON'T IGNORE THEM

Post by driveit Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:12 am

I still need to get some for mine. One of mine has a hole in the boot on the plug side.
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:28 am

dynchel wrote:i've always been told that you want a pcv valve & that a  two breather setup is not good, however that is probably advice for a street car.  I personally bought the msd wires myself because they came highly rated from damn near everyone.

The PCV valve is 100% true.  You need to have one on a street car.  I ran that setup on my Nova.  Otherwise you wind up with dripping oil out of your fancy breathers.  On a drag only car, a PCV only contaminates the incoming air/fuel with oil from any oil mist in the crankcase gases.  So even here, it is better to use an evacuation system that runs the crankcase gases to the header collectors.  There it creates a slight vacuum on the crankcase from the high velocity gases of the exhaust and blows the oil mist out the headers.  I have this setup on my Chevelle, and we are installing one now on the car at the beginning of this post.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by mc71454 Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:34 pm

Cool Info Ray,

Love to hear more details on the car/combo. Maybe a few tricks up my sleeve to help this along.

Tom
mc71454
mc71454
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down