G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2.5" Exhaust

+3
SSTOOLMAN
dynchel
sportster_restorer
7 posters

Go down

2.5" Exhaust Empty 2.5" Exhaust

Post by sportster_restorer Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:23 pm

One of the first things I want to do to my 74 Laguna is get rid of the single exhaust and go to duals. I do have the 73-74 double hump crossmemeber so that should make things easier.

Anyone have any experience with mail order exhaust systems for the 73-77 G-bodies? There doesn't seem to be any local companies who can mandrel bend 2.5" for these cars. I do have a set of headers I'd like to use so finding someone local would be nice, but it doesn't look like its possible.

Jegs seems to have a 2.5" system, but I'm afraid its a generic one. Drawing on the fact that the 73-77s seem to have a lot of similarities suspension-wise with the 94-97 Impalas, I wonder if an exhaust for one of  those will work? I don't mind cutting and fitting the front pipes, and I do have a MIG. But I'd like to get at least exhaust pipes in 2.5" that will neatly clear the axle.

sportster_restorer
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

2.5" Exhaust Empty Re: 2.5" Exhaust

Post by dynchel Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:41 pm

I had a flow master header back exhaust years ago, and while it was well made (thick wall tubing, mandrel bends) it was a royal pain in the a$$ to install.  The main reason being the welded in h pipe left no wiggle room.  I would say the Jegs exhaust would be your best bet.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:43 pm

i have the pypes xpipe kit from headers back, very sastisfied with it
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by SSTOOLMAN Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:18 pm

Limey FYI not far from You In Fort Atkinson WI just east of Cambridge where I live is a muffler shop that did mine. I drove in with straight pipes with turn downs. They did from the headers back with Magnaflows (I got off craigslist for $30) for $300. tucked it in perfect. They did a great job from behind the wheel to the back bumper, a lot of the kits hang down in this area. Its all welded and hung in the right places. I went Galvanized. You can go stainless if you want.
Come up to Jefferson swap on Friday and do it then, 7 mi from the fair grounds.
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:05 pm

SSTOOLMAN Mine is already done with cutout's installed,  I did them my self with clamps, ONLY thing I am going to Change is the clamps going to get the band style instead of Normal muff clamps, and this kit is stainless, I only have with the headers and mufflers under 175 invested  

This is already on the car, the Mufflers are the only difference, the ones I went with are about 2.5" shorter

2.5" Exhaust 0cfffa10

2.5" Exhaust 5dd99510
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by SSTOOLMAN Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:33 pm

Sorry Limey, got a little mixed up on who started the thread. My bad.
SSTOOLMAN
SSTOOLMAN
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:27 am

no worries buddy !!
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:53 am

1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:56 am

I used Magnaflow 15894. Tucks nicely. This is not really a do-it -yourself. You will most likely have to take to an independent shop that cares. It requires some "massaging" to get it to look right and does require some bending with the proper equipment to achieve .
I like the exit from the rear bumper.
See here at the end of the post:
https://www.g3gm.com/t8709-update-1973-monte-carlo-body-off-frame-resto
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:08 am

My Malibu has a 2 1/2 inch set from Summit, which I installed about 10 years ago. It fit OK, but I didn't use a H or X pipe. Maybe next time ......

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down