G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

clutch pedal height?

3 posters

Go down

clutch pedal height? Empty clutch pedal height?

Post by Als 73 Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:11 pm

Hello Folks,
This is my first post in approx. 11 months.   Work and family have been keeping me pretty busy.  Hopefully I will have abit more time to spend here now as I have recently retired.  I do however find the time to check in quite often to see whats happening.  

I have a question about clutch pedal height.  I have a 73 Chevelle  that came from the factory with a small block and a 4 speed. I went big block so upgraded to an Autogear 4 speed, CF clutch, and Lakewood bellhousing.  I cannot recall if the original set up had the clutch  and brake pedal at the same height but since the swap my clutch pedal when properly adjusted sits approx 2" higher then my brake pedal.  Is that normal?

Today I pulled the autogear tranny and swapped  back my original saginaw 4 speed, and GM bellhousing and clutch fork and it appears as if the clutch pedal still sits about the same height as it did before. 2" higher?   Is that right or am I missing something?

Randy

Als 73
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

clutch pedal height? Empty Re: clutch pedal height?

Post by Joe73 Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:13 am

Clutch pedal should.be a.little higher than the brake pedal. Id.just be.concerned tbat the pedal is up against its rubber bumper stop and you have correct free play. Then if.its operating properly I wouldnt worry about it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:17 am

Yes the clutch pedal should be higher.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Als 73 Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:19 am

Thanks for your replys! I guess it should be okay the way it is.
My CF dual friction clutch dosent look so good. Looks like is has been slipping. Ive only put 2500 miles on my car. I drove it very gently breaking in the clutch for the first approx. 300 miles. However alot of those miles were highway. I suppose it really should have 300 miles of stop and go city driving to properly break it in. I bought the clutch because they are supposed the grip really well. Any thoughts?

Als 73
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:32 am

Just make sure that the clutch is fully disengaged. What flywheel did you use?
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:19 am

I think you should be fine with the break in on that clutch. I think the recommended break in is 500 miles but I dont recall anyone mentioning whether it could be city or highway.

My only thoughts on the centerforce clutch is with the "weights" issue. Its an issue for some and not for others. If you search "centerforce clutch weights" on google you will find the comments. I'm tossing around three different clutch companies. Centerforce (but I would remove the weights), Ram or Mcleod. All diaphram style. Although my car came with a 3 finger Borg and Beck pressure plate when I bought it in '82. Thats the only style I've ever run. Usually in the 2800-3200 pound range.
I'll be going diaphram this time around.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:03 pm

I've used the Ram set ups in my last two cars. The Nova used a 11" Ram Powergrip setup. The 78 Malibu used a 10.5" Ram street/strip diaphragm with a Hays street/strip disk. The Malibu was back in the late 90's so the kits were more limited. Both cars used an aftermarket SFI flywheel.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Als 73 Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:17 am

Looks like I will be replacing the clutch with something new. Possibly another Center Force but still checking my options.
I think the flywheel was stock. Should I use something aftermarket?

Als 73
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down