G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cash for Clunkers

Go down

Cash for Clunkers Empty Cash for Clunkers

Post by The Dude on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:00 pm

Alright here's the deal. Our cars are safe because only cars from 1985 & newer are accepted for this crapper of a deal. At first I thought to myself, good that just means less Chrysler K-cars, lol.

Now I see this ad:
http://joplin.craigslist.org/cto/1282869775.html
I think I'm angry because it will become a threat for nice vehicles such as this. The truck isn't worth $4,500, but it certainly doesn't deserve to be crushed! If it has a Vortec 350, kiss that goodbye.

If the ad is expired here's what it says:

Cash For Clunkers 1996 Chevy K1500 Stepside 4x4

This thing has qualified and is on its way to be a Cash for Clunkers trade this weekend. From the dealer it goes to be smashed or shredded, aluminum wheels and all. The deal is made. That is unless you would like to rescue it for the $4,500.

1996 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 4WD V-8 5 Speed Manual 270,000 miles Daily driver up till last week It is hard to start but it does run Rebuilt clutch last year New battery Some scratches No dents No rust No body putty. Look at that step side bed. The tires are slick. It does have a spare. The fuel pump is going out again. A belt idler arm pulley bearing is screeching and there may be some other problems. One Weld Wheel hub cap is missing but they can be purchased. The wheels are solid aluminum, oxidized but no clear coat. They will polish out.

If you have the ability and you like to mess with old junk then this deal may be for you. Overhaul it and clean it up and have a very desirable short bed short cab Z-71 StepSide with real gear manual transmission and transfer case for 4x4 fun or the farm or fall hunting.

If this Cash for Clunkers catches on & continues, we could lose several Z28s & late model trucks that could be used for future parts scrounging!

Here's a link to the rules for trade in:
http://www.cars.gov/

This isn't aimed towards the little shhtbox econocars that need to be scrapped like Cavalier, Focus, most Kia, etc. It's pointing the finger straight towards performance vehicles.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Cash for Clunkers Empty Re: Cash for Clunkers

Post by ant7377 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:58 pm

No Z28 would qualify because it get too high gas mileage. It has to be less than 18 combined and made after 1984 of 5 .It will however ruin the supply of cheap trucks.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by moneypit73 on Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:53 pm

now the whole things put on hold! government is, get this, running out of the money!! spent 96 million out of a hundred mill!! go figure.
moneypit73
moneypit73
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 on Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:55 pm

Who woulda known? The Government is gonna spend more money than they actually have!! That's absurd! Rolling Eyes

But seriously, somehow this doesn't surprise me anymore...
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude on Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:41 am

It's an Obamanation I tell you! lol!

Funny thing is everyone thought Bush was bad. I don't recall the Bush administration giving away all of our money in less than six months. Obama did decide that arguments are best resolved by sitting down & having a beer, I'll give him that though.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:01 am

Yeah, but only after calling people stupid for doing there job...
"They were acting stupidly..."
Two days later: "I retract that statement. Apparently, the President can't say that...."

And I'm sure the afternoon of drinking cost taxpayers a cool million dollars. Now THAT'S living the high life! lol!
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude on Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:11 am

IndyG3 wrote:Yeah, but only after calling people stupid for doing there job...
"They were acting stupidly..."
Two days later: "I retract that statement. Apparently, the President can't say that...."

And I'm sure the afternoon of drinking cost taxpayers a cool million dollars. Now THAT'S living the high life! lol!

Obama had Bud Light, professor "Kill Whitey" had Red Stripe, & "the stupid cop" had Blue Moon, lol. Sad thing is, you're probably right on the cost unless those beer manufacturers paid to have their beer drank & advertised.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:46 am

Oh well. Like I've said before, everytime I see something like this, I just ask myself, "Self, why I am I not surprised by this anymore?"
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by badbiscayne66 on Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:34 pm

OH WELL AT LEAST THEY ARE THROWING MONEY AWAY IN OUR COUNTRY FOR A CHANGE
badbiscayne66
badbiscayne66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by novaderrik on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:05 am

i wonder if that truck on Craigslist actually ever got traded in, or if it was a way for the owner to try to milk as much money out of it as possible from someone that wanted to "save" it from the scrapyard.

novaderrik
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by chevy76monteman on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:06 am

The top four don't surprise me one bit. lol!

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/daily-news/090804-Top-Cash-for-Clunkers-Trade-Ins-and-New-Cars/
chevy76monteman
chevy76monteman
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by rotagyllaw on Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:22 pm

the whole cash for clunkers thing sounds like a bad idea to me, but its already happened. what about businesses that rely on selling used engines transmission etc (stuff thats to be rendered unusable?) then its also going to flood the scrap metal businesses... im glad its restricted to 85 and newer, but like someone else said thats gonna make others harder to find. oh well, just like the high price of scrap in the 60's and 70's, there are still older cars around.
rotagyllaw
rotagyllaw
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude on Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:22 pm

Here's some not surprising news:

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/autos_content_landing_pages/1044/spin-meter-3-billion-buys-not-so-green-vehicles/;_ylc=X3oDMTE5M3F1NDB1BF9TAzI3MTYxNDkEc2VjA2ZwLXRvZGF5BHNsawNjbHVua2VyLXNjYW1z

Wonder why the Obama administration is holding out all of the details? Hmmmm.... plan failure?

Just how many consumers used the federal rebates to buy these larger, not-so-green vehicles is unclear. The Obama administration has declined so far to release detailed records of purchases under the program being compiled by the Transportation Department, listing every clunker deal requesting rebates. The Associated Press requested the data July 31.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down