G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

From Ohio to Lido Key Florida.

+6
badbiscayne66
IndyG3
moneypit73
Limey SE
orange Juiced
JB2wheeler
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

From Ohio to Lido Key Florida. Empty From Ohio to Lido Key Florida.

Post by jonny o Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:43 pm

It's decided...

My buddy is getting married on Lido Key near sarasota. I originally intended to drive a work truck down to deliver some equipment to a track in Bradenton, but that fell through. I looked at plane tickets but decided it was time to take one of those "once in a lifetime" roadtrips...

I'm driving the 4.10 geared, 292 cammed, 780 carbed, non-muffled malibu from Ohio to Florida on Wednesday.
Why the hell not?

Now, I have logged a TON of miles on this car and am fairly confident, but it's the little things that scare me. You can only look at the wheel bearings, tie rod ends and drive shaft couplers so many times... they are items that just "go bad." So if you see a flaming streak of metal barreling down i75 or i71, come help.

Wish me luck gents...

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

From Ohio to Lido Key Florida. Empty Re: From Ohio to Lido Key Florida.

Post by JB2wheeler Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:15 pm

You better put on some shooting muffs to protect your ears and get a trailer and put about five 55 gallon drums full of gas on it. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:46 am

jonny o wrote:It's decided...
I'm driving the 4.10 geared, 292 cammed, 780 carbed, non-muffled malibu from Ohio to Florida on Wednesday.
Why the hell not?...

Helllllllll YEEEAAAAAHHhhhhh! Now that's the American way right there. Might as well make sure you got a change of slicks in the rear, a box of tools & $300 race bread, lol. You never know when you'll get a squirrel to run (2 Lane Black Top).

I thought I was cool for wanting to drive my completely stock Chevelle from the OK/KS/MO corner to Corpus Christi, TX. You have just blown my mind.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:42 pm

What's the blues brothers line? Full tank of gas, half pack of smokes and our sunglasses...

I'll do my best to upload a photo or two on one of my cooldown/gas stops.

I already succombed. I put the baby carb back on. It was either swap to the 650 or pull the secondary pin and run on two barrels. I'm still a hardcore mother trucker though right?

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:23 pm

Nothing wrong with using common sense. If you're gonna drive across the country, might as well save some $$$ on gas.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by moneypit73 Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:16 pm

ROCK ON JOHNNIE-O! go for the gusto! that should be one cool A$$ trip. have fun, be safe, on and have FUN!!
moneypit73
moneypit73
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by yogreasygramma Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:11 pm

Road trips are a blast; I've done many in my first Monte, as well as my Honeymoon Wagon 84 Monte. Good luck and have a lot of fun!! BTW, if you can change out the rear gears for something reasonable like 2.73:1 you'll be very happy you did.
yogreasygramma
yogreasygramma
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:55 am

Thanks Gramma... I wish I had the advance notice, room and gears to swap out, but I just couldn't pull it off.
I had a buddy in WV, right on my route down who thought he had a fresh 10 bolt with something higher than my 4.10's, but I pulled the cover and it was very far from fresh.
I'd rather work my motor and trans a little harder with my proven gears than take a chance of popping a pinion.

I made it into Tennessee today.... stopped at a rest area to charge the phone, garmin and computer. It's weird, but I love it. I drive a lot for work and it's odd not having AC, power anything, a stereo, 400 accessory plugs and cupholders. Takes me back to highschool and I LOVE IT.

The combo is working out good. I got the new rolling gear on and got about 9 mph at 3k over my last combo.

3k is running about 65-67 depending on how the converter is slipping. Oil sits at 68, temp at 175 and my arm hangs out the window. The Dr. Gas oval pipes I snagged off e-bay running out the sides sound so melodic it's amazing. It's good to know the motor can handle the stress, it has a lot of blood and money in it.

Keep your fingers crossed boys and gals, and I'll get a pic up when the sun comes back up.

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:24 am

Good luck Jonny, its sure is fun driving a classic on those highways. Last year i drove my Bu on a 332 mile road trip. And i was planning on driving to Vegas in Oct for a big car show, which would have been a 726 miles trip.
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by yogreasygramma Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:49 am

You're right, Jonny! It's such a blast to cruise down the highway listening to the exhaust melody. I don't even listen to the radio in my cars so I can hear the beautiful stereo sounds of the burbling exhaust.

I'm sure your car will have no problems making it. Have fun dude!
yogreasygramma
yogreasygramma
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:57 pm

I made it over half way today. I spent some down-time working and letting her cool off, so I'm running a little behind schedule.

Also been having some heat issues... well, at least what I call heat issues. I got over 195 a few times today in the hills of Tenn and GA, and although that's still safe... I don't like it. It leads to a slippery slope... if my water is that hot, my trans is too hot, then my big converter starts slipping like mad and I turn more rpm, causing more heat. I stopped at Home Depot and bought some brass "t" fittings and ran lines to an oil cooler I had mounted but not plumbed... it did the trick, dropping temps back down even when the asphault was reading 130 degrees. Yes, I carry a temp gun with me at all times.

Growing up near Tallmadge, I have always gone in and out of Summit racing equipment for anything I need. Well, I had to make a stop at the one in Georgia just to mark my territory. I turned the dump on my oil breather puke tank and left my mark on the second of 3 summit retail store lots. Don't think I'm going to make it to Nevada anytime soon for the 3rd thought.

Still going well ladies and gents... keep your fingers crossed for me.

Here's a corny, super cheesy and really crappy cell shot... more to come tomorrow hopefully.Photobucket" alt="" />

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by moneypit73 Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:51 pm

looking good johnnie-o looking good! man, that gotta be a blast. youve inspired me to take a small trip in my buick!! been to woodward in it in the past, thinkin on taking it to kentucky for, of all things a wedding too!!! just need seatbelts, yea i know, an a full size spare. see how it turns out. good luck bro!! big john.
moneypit73
moneypit73
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:57 am

You Da Man! Glad to see you & the car are having a good time.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:02 am

It's good to know the car's holding up well! Keep it up! Cool
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:08 am

John. I have a couple pair of expired 5 point harnesses. Won't do you any good at a strip that checks dates, but they will pass dot and will definitely hold your A$$ in the car better than a 30 year old lap belt.
Let me know.

Had a huge hangup...
Burned out a headlight.

I know, I know... no biggie. So I go digging through the trunk for one of the spares I was sure was in the trunk... not there.

Garmin a walmart that closes at 10. It's 9:55.

Run inside and can't remember the damn number, load up an armful of bulbs for 4 light systems and figure I can return the rest.

Get out to the car, check fluids and go back to the trunk full of every tool known to man. Guess what's not there?

A farking phillips. Unbelievable.

Wal mart is closed and won't let my sorry A$$ in the door screaming bloody murder.

At this point I decide to drain out the rest of the flush I was running through the rad and start flushing with distilled so I set the petcock on trickle and walk across the street to the gas station for a screwdriver.

Nope.

I now have to make a choice... I can keep walking (I can see 4 gas stations all within 3/4 of a mile, or I can go back, close off the rad and fill her up and drive to the next one.

I'm a glutton for punishment and I really don't want to fire the beast for a 30 second drive, so I keep walking.

Nope.

nope.

Now it's the point of no return. Last gas station. Bingo.

Now I'm Siting at a Pilot changing a bulb and charging all my sheezy after getting kicked out of the Wal Mart parking lot for beating on the damn door.

God I needed this trip!

Here's my mobile office and a shot of how beautifully a 285 60 16 fills the rear fender....
Photobucket

Photobucket[img][/img]

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by moneypit73 Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:50 pm

NICE.luv the big tire look. ssssmmmmoookkkiiinnn!!!! hit me up about them belts when you get back in town. for sure interested!!! i like hoow my 275/60s fill up my wheelwell,too. wittness the thickness, brother!!!!!!
moneypit73
moneypit73
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:13 pm

Wow...
What a weekend!
I'm headed home with a lot of good memories and a clear head.
The VALET ONLY Ritz didn't really seem like it was going to be a fun place to take the 'bu. As I pulled up to the covered drop off spot, I scared a few ballroom dancers in town for a competition and got a couple "oh my god!" comments. She was loud...
The valet walked up and pointed me to the line as I motioned for him to come to me so I didn't have to point the sidepipe right in the lobby door...
He got scared when he saw the slap shifter and column of unmarked toggles and let me park it out front on what I call "Beamer Row" where they park the nice cars for display. She was filthy from the drive and a shower right across the sky bridge, but she still took the world by storm. Everyone in the wedding party knows that car as an icon for me and loved seeing that I drove her down.
Yes, she did mark her territory by puking a little trans fluid on the nice brick driveway.

Photobucket

And here's a minute ride with me my buddy shot as we crossed back over the bridge to drop him off at the airport. Crank it up and hear her purr at 3500.

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:10 pm

wow johnny to the o that is now my sound for going to sleep ..........so relaxing to hear that motor just purrrrrrrr right along

AND I LOVE THE BEAMER ROW PARKING LOL

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by moneypit73 Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:00 pm

BEEEEEEUUUUTTTTTTFFFUUULLLL!!!!!!! i have no words.
moneypit73
moneypit73
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:11 pm

Photobucket

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:51 pm

Photobucket" alt="" />

Photobucket

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by IndyG3 Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:29 pm

Cool
IndyG3
IndyG3
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by badbiscayne66 Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:40 pm

POST THE PICS NOT THE ADRESSES OR AT LEAST MAKE A LINK
badbiscayne66
badbiscayne66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by jonny o Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:08 pm

I did. I can see them... You can't see them?

jonny o
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:59 pm

badbiscayne66 wrote:POST THE PICS NOT THE ADRESSES OR AT LEAST MAKE A LINK

I can see everything from home & work. Maybe you have super high security settings? Even the video plays fine.

jonny o, lovin the pics, can't wait until I take my 'Bu on her next trip in a few weeks. Going on her third voyage since I got her, about a 350 mile round trip. You gave me inspiration to get the exhaust done before I go after I saw that video. Cool
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next