G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Factory amplifier?

4 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Audio

Go down

Factory amplifier? Empty Factory amplifier?

Post by a-body Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:29 am

So I recently got my hands on a factory stereo 76 Malibu, and I had a friend tell me that if it is indeed a factory stereo car (build sheet indicates that it is) that there would be a heatsink looking thing somewhere behind the radio under the dash. Has anyone seen anything like this? I can't see anything. I do however see that there are two speakers instead of one up top Smile
a-body
a-body
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Factory amplifier? Empty Re: Factory amplifier?

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:21 pm

Factory amplifier? Gmconv10

Those heat sink looking things are technically called a convector...and, were located behind the glove box. Had something to do with pulling in the FM stereo signal IIRC. I've pulled several of them...one, I remember, was out of a '76 Laguna. Still have a radio setup from a '77 Grand Prix with one. However, not all factory radios had them. I believe they were installed on the AM/FM Stereo radios...not, std. AM/FM radios. There would be a six-wire harness from your radio that would connect to the convector.

My '77 Monte came with AM/FM/8-track Stereo, but I've never removed the radio, glove box or dash components to see if it has the convector.

The dual front speaker had nothing to do with it, though. That was simply an option.

Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:05 pm

It is part of the amp circuit. Those are the output transistors to drive the speakers. Mounted away from the radio for heat & space. I think it only came on stereo radios as well.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:46 pm

The '76 SS Elco I had, had that set up in it. Seemed kinda strange at the time, after seeing the usual radio packages in the G3 cars.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:38 pm

Weather was fine here today (reached a record 57 degrees at our house) and so I fired up the Monte. While getting reacquainted due to it being in storage for 4 mos, I remembered this thread regarding the amplifier...or, convector. Out of curiosity, I pulled the ashtray and, with a flashlight, looked back behind the radio and could at least see the ribbon cable that ran to the convector. So, they were used at least thru '77.

I recently pulled an AM/FM/8-track stereo player from a '78 Delta 88 and it didn't have one, though.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down