Tilt Steering Columns - Floor Shift & Column Shift For Sale

Go down

Tilt Steering Columns - Floor Shift & Column Shift For Sale

Post by g3chevy on Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:23 am

I have a couple of steering columns that I need to clear out of my shop. One is from a 74 Monte Carlo with floor shift. This one does not have the ignition cylinder but I will include the turn signal and tilt levers which are not pictured. The other is out of a 74 El Camino and is a column shift. This one does include the ignition cylinder and key. Both tilt columns are tight and in good condition. $175 plus shipping for the floor shift column. $125 plus shipping on the column shift.

g3chevy
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Re: Tilt Steering Columns - Floor Shift & Column Shift For Sale

Post by Hawk03 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:44 am

How hard is it to install the cylinder and the levers on the floor shift one? Would that one also be a direct install into a '77 malibu?
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:11 am

The ignition cylinder literally just slides in and snaps in place. Taking it out is another story. The tilt lever simply screws in, so no issue there. But the turn signal lever takes a little more work. You have to remove the lock plate to get to the turn signal housing which allows you to screw on the lever. The easiest way to do it is with a lock plate compressor. You can get these on ebay for less than $20 or some auto parts stores will rent them to you. Doing it without one of these tools involves a lot of time and 4 letter words. As far as the difference from 74 to 77 models I'm not certain. I know the color code on the turn signal harness is different but I have done swaps before that worked without issue. But if I remember correctly some of the plug shapes changed along the way. Not sure if this would affect your installation. Best thing to do is use your original harness, reverse light/neutral safety switch, ignition switch from your original. Hope this helps.
g3chevy
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:14 pm

Thanks that helps. This article rebuilds a '75 Monte Carlo column and the process doesn't seem too bad. I guess I'm more worried about the below comment. It doesn't go into detail what the differences are between the 73-75 and 76-77 columns. Not sure if the differences are that big of a deal or would cause issues.

http://www.buickperformanceclub.com/tiltsteeringcolumnwobble.htm

"The 73-75 A-body columns will work in the 69-72 A-body models but have the different arm. The 76-77 will also work but many parts were changed inside so you have to swap out the column as a unit and I believe key cylinders are different for 76-77 models. You will have to have the key cylinder remade to your existing key (you can not install your original key cylinder(69-75) in the 76-77 columns."
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:27 pm

I've changed dozens of the ignition cylinders out over the years and never noticed any differences. Below is an auction for one on ebay and the application chart near the bottom says it will fit 70-78 Monte Carlo. So my guess is that you're safe with swapping these out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Lock-Cylinder-w-Key-for-Buick-Cadillac-Chevy-Olds-Pontiac/370795112285?fits=Year%3A1977%7CModel%3AMonte+Carlo&hash=item56551c675d:g:yJoAAOSwwf5ZwRa0&vxp=mtr
g3chevy
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum