G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on

+16
76Chevelle2Tone
zucchi
bucket
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Limey SE
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
ant7377
73ss
Joe73
bigredlaguna
thatfnthing
Mcarlo77
77camino
fasrnur
Zaptiah
S3SS
20 posters

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 Empty Re: Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on

Post by Joe73 Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:27 am

If your going metallic paint color Id go 600 prior to epoxy sealer (2k epoxy thinned 5-50% with reducer makes sealer). Apply sealer wait 30 min. then apply color. No sanding the sealer. If your not going metallic, then sand to 400.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 Empty Re: Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on

Post by Limey SE Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:05 am

Joe73 wrote:If your going metallic paint color Id go 600 prior to epoxy sealer (2k epoxy thinned 5-50% with reducer makes sealer).  Apply sealer wait 30 min. then apply color.    No sanding the sealer.   If your not going metallic, then sand to 400.  

Just going single stage Black Joe I don't think there is any Metallic in it but to error on the side of caution it wont hurt to go to 600 since will be black can never hurt right ?

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:09 am

Not a problem with 600. The bit finer is because of the metallics, you want them to lay correctly on a nice surface. Sometimes 400 effects the flakes laying down. Id also add just a touch of "activator" to your mixed urethane with thinner. Makes it a bit harder paint. Just like activator in clear coat.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:39 am

Joe73 wrote:   Id also add just a touch of "activator" to your mixed urethane with thinner.  Makes it a bit harder paint.  Just like activator in clear coat.  

Not following you on this part Joe ?

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:51 am

I assume your going with urethane paint. The label will state its mix ratio, paint versus reducer. Id mix that up correctly, then add just an ounce of activator to the paint. Something along these lines.

https://www.eastwood.com/ew-urethane-activator-8-oz.html?gad_source=1&wcid=18669317220&wickedsource=google&wv=4

Some paints dont require an activator (sometimes referred to as a hardener) but I add a touch anyway.

What is urethane activator?
Universal Urethane Activator is a high quality catalyst formulated for use in urethane enamels. It provides a high level of gloss, combined with a hard, durable finish.

By no means do you need it !!! Its just personal choice. I put some in my single stage, my basecoat and clearcoat (required).
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:07 pm

This is what I am Getting Joe and thank you thank you for the tips again

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-up300g

Paint, Single Stage, UV Stable, Acrylic Urethane, Gloss, Black, Low VOC

Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 Sum-up10

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:23 pm

The details mention mix with activator in the last line. Make sure you purchase the activator as well.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:58 pm

Joe73 wrote:The details mention mix with activator in the last line.  Make sure you purchase the activator as well.

yea that was the Plan Joe I have to get it all at once when ready for paint

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:10 pm

Well didn't wanna take a chance with rain looming in the Skies to start spraying epoxy sealer on hood.........so got the Door panels cleaned primed and painted and I will be dipped I can not find the darn other 2 cans of Firethorne red I have so I still have one lower panel to paint yet when I find them cans LOL

Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43465410
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43306710
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43464510
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43292310
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43465210
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43466410
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43281010
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43499110

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:20 pm

Those turned out great Limey!
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jpowen49 Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:45 am

It`s looking really good !
jpowen49
jpowen49
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:41 pm

This is the same day only 4 hours difference in Time WTF this is why I can not get any work done to the SE.

Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43306110

Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43304411
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43305411
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43298711

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:42 pm

in the next 36 hours saying another round of 3" of this crap also had 3" today some melted thank god

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:04 am

Well you can fool Mother Nature with a Garage!
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:17 am

76Chevelle2Tone wrote:Well you can fool Mother Nature with a Garage!

Yes sir agreed and new house will have one, just need to secure it first made offers on 4 different properties only to get out done by a thousand or so on offer and not being able to counter it

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by jpowen49 Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:31 am

Limey SE wrote:This is the same day only 4 hours difference in Time WTF this is why I can not get any work done to the SE.

Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43306110

Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43304411
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43305411
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43298711
This is why I live in the deep south. Snow is rare.
jpowen49
jpowen49
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:11 pm

Well finally got some alone time with the SE today and hood plan is almost done 400 grit final sand then it can go into sealer and yes this is functional as well .... I am also gonna add an Aluminum mesh screen on the front of scoop for the hole didn't quite get covered by the main piece so have to "adjust" some metal there

P.S. The sheet metal screws are only temporary till I sand the 400 grit then will panel bond the scoop down for its final resting place they will come out when the panel bond is halfway cured like I did my floors in the other SE then long hair fiberglass bondo will fill in what needs to be and then If needed fill in any pin holes with skim coat of bondo the seal it up and start on the rest of Body work

Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43752911
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43720511
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43737011
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43489110
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43498410
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43736910
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43508010

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:39 am

Did a little Upgrading thanks to a friend Changing his Car he didnt like thepolished version for his car is just a street brawler /  drag racer and dint like cleaning up after every event or race night So.....  I inquired about the starter and told me if I took it all so he didnt have to mess with storing it in his shop UH Yea Ok sure that works ...... Was shocked   Shocked

Anywho Ended up with a new to me (gently used )
Victor Jr Intake Manifold, Edelbrock high volume water pump (mine was a parts store junk) STARTER, FINALLY been trying for a few to find one worth a dung, Tall Valve covers and Flexplate to match up what I need this one is kinda wonky like a bad alignment of starter anyways Most of it is FIT UP for now to make sure it would work before adding Intake gaskets and siliconing the china walls and torquing down   Been to windy to do hood so jumped right in on the motor to keeep it going Knees burn now so will rest them till Friday if No rain will get the starter and flex plate squared away.

Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43529710
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43719710
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43721010
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43490110
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43498110
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43728410
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43516010
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43529711
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43767310
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43516010
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43529711
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43767310
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43732210
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43758810
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43765810

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:06 am

I forget, this is a 454 right?  Make sure the flexplate is for an externally balanced engine, and that it is a 454 plate and not a 400 plate.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 am

bracketchev1221 wrote:I forget, this is a 454 right?  Make sure the flexplate is for an externally balanced engine, and that it is a 454 plate and not a 400 plate.

Yes 454 and yes it's a 454 plate but can't use he had alignment issue and got some teeth and the replacement will be same there inexpensive pretty much all this stuff came from a 496 BBC why I knew would fit

Car and motor in pic is what the parts came from

Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 Receiv27
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 Receiv11
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 Receiv10

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Wed Apr 24, 2024 4:50 pm

Just a suggestion. You can use a small late model starter. Don't know if it's considered a mini starter but it is much smaller and about 15~20 pounds lighter than the stock one. Makes header fitment much easier and since it is smaller you won't get the dreaded heat soak with the big starter. Doesn't use the rear support since its so light.

You can find one on any late 90's small or big block V-8, Van, Truck, caprice, etc. You may be able to find a decent one at a pull a part or something. Be sure to grab the bolts too because they are specific to the small starter. I've been using one now for 10 years and hasn't given me any problems whatsoever.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:38 pm

73ss wrote:Just a suggestion. You can use a small late model starter. Don't know if it's considered a mini starter but it is much smaller and about 15~20 pounds lighter than the stock one. .

This is that starter he only had the Support on it for his motor I am assuming but this is smaller than my stock one and he had huge headers on his Camaro Longtubes and fit fine Just FYI the camaro Headers are almost the same as I have his are just larger primary tubes than mine and he had no issues with it There the same headers that this starter was used on

Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 Img_5310

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:19 pm

Looking good Limey! When do we get to hear it run? Gonna post a video on your channel?
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:00 pm

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac wrote:Looking good Limey! When do we get to hear it run? Gonna post a video on your channel?

Thank you sir ty Everyone also...... Taking care of a smell I discovered and went to take it off to clean it and it literally just disintegrated in my hands and all fell out and OH MAN WHAT A RUSH That smell EEEEWWWW THAT SMELL this is the first one that I have had that was this bad and I dont wanna do it again So I think Just gonna sell the Heat Only box with fan and put a Plate over it I dont want no more critters what so ever in there EEEEEWWWWW

I have to put the new intake gaskets on, then get to Top dead center yes that close, then Put distributor in  (its just resting in there for now I knew I had to pit intake gaskets on) finish putting in plugs, wires, Wire it up.... Then Test fit starter (should be an easy peasy deal there) if good wire the starter up, Then hook all my grounds up and give him a whirl and see if I blow it up or not LOL I wpould say barring any bad storms or health Issues with in the next  14 to 21 days I will fire it and yes It will be on the Youtubers

Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43716310

THIS WAS THE SIZE OF TWO HEADS ( I should have put my ball cap next to it for the pics to show size BUT NOPE I didn't want the smell near my hat)

Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43726610
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43736010
Rusty's progress motor Parts arrived LOL Half are on  - Page 11 43729010

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Yesterday at 7:13 am

Was his motor an oval port head motor too? I thought you had the 781 heads on yours.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next