G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clutches

4 posters

Go down

Clutches  Empty Clutches

Post by JF74chevelle Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:50 pm

Okay so my auto to manual swap is very close to happening but I am in need of knowing what is the best clutch, I am leaning towards the RAM muscle car clutch because I heard is it great on the leg for the street and it reasonably priced, is there any other clutch that may be as good for a daily. Also my friend was tell me that it is easier to drive a V8 manual rather than a 4 cylinder manual is that true?
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Clutches  Empty Re: Clutches

Post by Joe73 Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:05 pm

I've never heard of a 4 cyl. being easier nor do I know why that would be. I've never felt a difference. Yes there is a difference in the weight and power of the car but its something you get used to. Not that its easier or anything.
As for clutches, I like the ram as well. I've always run Ram 3 finger borg and beck style clutches with 3200 pound or higher plates. But I'll be going with a diaphragm type this time around.
Another clutch I would look at is the Centerforce Dual Friction. Lots of high power guys are running them with no problems and easy pedal feel. I'm considering one of them as well. But if I do go with the centerforce I'll be clipping the wire and removing the "weights" on the plate fingers. If you google it, you will see quite a few people complain of them sticking on occasion and causing a vibration. Seems they get rusty and dont move freely over time in some cases. I wont take the chance, I'll just clip the wire and remove it.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:04 am

Last clutch I bought for my Nova a few years ago was the Ram Powergrip diaphragm clutch. I used an 11" setup and it was a good street/strip upgrade clutch.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:16 pm

I think I'm going to stick to the RAM clutch setup I just can't justify paying double for the center force then having to buy a flywheel on top of it.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:56 pm

JF74chevelle wrote:I think I'm going to stick to the RAM clutch setup I just can't justify paying double for the center force then having to buy a flywheel on top of it.

Is centerforce recommending a flywheel?  I installed a centerforce dual friction 16 yrs ago in my small block vette. I replaced the flywheel also because it had already been cut once and had blueing & cracks. It's been a great clutch with normal pedal pressure & no chatter. I've ripped on it quite a bit over the years with no problems, power shifts, etc. Interesting what Joe said about the wire & weights. I haven't had any issues, hopefully it stays that way. Didn't have much in the way of internet or forums back then or I might have removed them. I seem to remember it cost more than some of the other brands. I didn't want to do the job twice. Replacing a clutch in a vette= not fun...
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:03 am

Yeah I'm up in the air because I HEARD the RAM is a great clutch and for a kid on a serious budget it doesn't get much better.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:26 am

Diaphragm clutches have a tendency to stick the clutch pedal to the floor at high rpms especially if the clutch is over adjusted. Meaning you get longer travel on the fingers and push them overcenter when you step on the clutch. High rpm made them tend to want to stay there instead of return. The little weights on the fingers of the centerforce clutch were a bandaid to try to overcome that and make the clutch return. If you keep the clutch loose, and don't bury the clutch pedal to the floor when shifting, without the weights is fine. My nova was a 6-6500 rpm shift car with the Ram clutch. And like was said, IF you can swing it a new SFI steel flywheel is better than an old heat fatigued cast iron GM one. Clutches usually didn't blow up. The flywheel cracked and came apart first and took the clutch with it.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:25 am

I think the weights are a gimmick but they are supposed.to add more clamping force as the.rpm increases.    http://www.centerforce.com/technology/centerforce-weights

They are.supposed to slide to the.outside and supposedly increase holding pressure.  I'm sure.it does.but I don't know by how much.  The weights have.to slide with the ring which can get rusty and.hinder sliding which would.cause.an out of.balance and then a vibration.  

From memory, I thought summit had the.ram.power grip for.like 360 and the centerpiece dp for.375.  I don't remember.there being much of a price.difference.

I've always run ram clutches and.like them but I'll probably be.going centerpiece this time around and.I'll remove the weights.  Not a big deal.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:04 pm

http://www.jegs.com/i/RAM-Clutches/798/98760/10002/-1

http://www.jegs.com/i/Centerforce/183/DF271675/10002/-1

Only a 50 buck difference without shopping around.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:40 pm

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/ram-92760

That is the one I was looking at for the clutch set up.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:04 pm

JF74chevelle wrote:https://m.summitracing.com/parts/ram-92760

That is the one I was looking at for the clutch set up.

Yes, that is a good one for you. I thought you were going for a high power street/stip kit. You'll love the ram. I used them for years.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by JF74chevelle Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:20 pm

Good I'll probably build a small block like 425-450 hp/tq max. The RAM tech persons said it'll handle that power.
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum