Dash Cluster Rectangular

Go down

Dash Cluster Rectangular Empty Dash Cluster Rectangular

Post by Joe73 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:34 pm

I have a rectangular dash cluster.  No gauges in it.  Just the cluster, printed circuit board and light sockets with bulbs.  Also has the gear shift indicator (for auto car).  The clear plastic on the indicator is pretty nice and clear.  The PRNDL lettering is not good.  The needle indicator mechanism is intact and operates as it should, so thats ready to bolt to a steering column.  Printed circuit board looks good and its date stamped 1973.

Anyone need the whole cluster, gear selector mechanism or the circuit board ?  I'll separate the parts.  If interested in any of it, want to make an offer or want more pics, PM me.  

Thanks guys.Dash Cluster Rectangular Cluste10
Dash Cluster Rectangular Cluste11
Dash Cluster Rectangular Cluste12
Dash Cluster Rectangular Cluste13
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 76

Back to top Go down

Dash Cluster Rectangular Empty 76 instrument cluster

Post by MCM on Tue May 14, 2019 8:48 am

Hey joe still have the cluster? Also wanted to know if you would share how you removed it

MCM
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Dash Cluster Rectangular Empty Re: Dash Cluster Rectangular

Post by Joe73 on Tue May 14, 2019 10:46 am

Sorry, I sold the cluster. I only have the clear little window in front of the PRNDRL if you need that.

Once you remove the face plate, you have to get the speedo out. There are phillips screws at the bottom of the cluster to remove. When those are out, put your finger in the hole where the speedo cable comes out of the back of the dash. Behind the speedo is a flat piece of metal around the speedo cable end. Just pull that metal towards the steering wheel and the cable will disengage. Sounds complicated but its real easy to get out. After the speedo is out, there are two main "nuts" (basically stamped steel that works like a nut) that hold it in. One at the 3 oclock and the other at the 9 oclock position. The nuts are threaded onto studs that screw into the dash. The studs stay with the dash. If I remember correctly there are 2 vertical screws (1/4" hex head) that screw in vertically at the top of the dash.

If you decide to remove the dash there's a 5/16" (if I remember correctly) hex head in the hole where the speedo cable is. Little bit of a pain to get out but it can be done with a ractcheting head wrench. Or just a plain wrench but takes a bit longer.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by MCM on Tue May 14, 2019 10:49 am

Well im having a issue where the circuit board grounding out want to get access to it. If i dont have to remove the whole dash to gain access thats amazing

MCM
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 on Tue May 14, 2019 10:57 am

No need to remove the dash at all. Remove the faceplate and get the cluster out. Pretty easy job. I'd like to know how and where it could be grounding out. Its all plastic in there. If you find it grounding, please post up some pics. Thanks
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 on Tue May 14, 2019 11:06 am

Only way I can see that the flex circuit is grounding out is if the copper tracer lines that run close together are exposed due to Kapton film overlay delaminating from age and they are touching. Or, maybe you've lost your ground altogether due to a broken tracer? Either way, it's easy to remove the cluster and inspect.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by MCM on Tue May 14, 2019 11:12 am

So far it seems to be behind the fuel guage area. Was having guage issues and noticed that if i tapped on the guage it works. Kinda got the circuit pinched or something because when i screwed everything back it now blows guage fuse. Loosen everything back up no fuse blows

MCM
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 on Tue May 14, 2019 12:01 pm

Maybe one of the metal clips that the fuel gauge studs plug into on the back of the flex circuit is loose or corroded and not making good contact with the copper trace?
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by MCM on Tue May 14, 2019 3:24 pm

Not really sure just figured I needed access to the back of cluster to see what was goin on since the glitch seems to be coming from that area. I really appreciate your help!!!! I was praying that you were still on the site

MCM
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Back to top Go down