G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Header Frame interference

2 posters

Go down

Header Frame interference Empty Header Frame interference

Post by Joe73 Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:19 pm

Please excuse all the dust in the pics. Question to the people who are running headers with their small blocks.  I've had this issue since I bought the car and put headers in it.  This includes over a dozen different sets of headers over the years as well as two different chassis.  

When I took the car apart I was running Hooker Competition headers in my galvanized frame.  The passenger side tube rubbed slightly but didnt damage the headers.  Now with my new frame and Flowmaster headers (which BTW fit amazing in regards to access to mounting bolt holes and ground clearance) I still have this slight interference which I figure I'd like to address now.  

The tube just touches the frame.  Not a huge deal and I intend to do the rag and big socket trick to the area just to get a bit of clearance while the car is on the lift.

Anyone else run into this?  What did you do it anything?  I was thinking of leaving it but it will most definitely remove the ceramic coating, so I will address it.  

Header Frame interference Header10
Header Frame interference Header11
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Header Frame interference Empty Re: Header Frame interference

Post by 73ss Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:37 pm

I can't help with your situation.

On mine, I had a tube touching the rear mount on the lower control arm on the pass side.(the piece of frame where the bushing attaches) New motor mounts solved it. The old ones had sank down over the years. This is on a big block.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:59 pm

Thats exactly where mine is touching. Rear mount bracket for the lower control arm. Had the same issue with lots of different brands of headers and two different frames. My motor mounts are new in this frame and were changed twice in the old frame. I have no problem tweaking it a bit. Just wondering if anyone else had a solution. Thanks
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:16 pm

OK I see now, I was viewing mine from underneath. It's still close but it does not touch.
I think alot of it has to do with the '73 up cars are a afterthought with headers, They mainly focus on the '72 back chassis. You just hate to bang up a shiny new set to make them fit.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down