G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help me decide: time to ditch the rallys?

+3
Limey SE
stich626
Keith Seymore
7 posters

Go down

Help me decide:  time to ditch the rallys? Empty Help me decide: time to ditch the rallys?

Post by Keith Seymore Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:54 pm

*sigh*

I've never done a "I need your opinion" type thread on the internet before, but here goes:

I'm wondering if it is time to me to get rid of my Corvette rally wheels.  I need about a .2 sec improvement in ET in the heat of the summer to be where I need to be, and I suspect lighter tire and wheel assemblies would get me there.

On the other hand, if there is a strong outcry from my fan base (!) then maybe it would be the wrong thing to give up what has accidentally become sort of a signature style.

If I were to make a change they would have to be a modern look, but classically/vintage inspired.   I'm thinking of something like the examples below:   My buddy/engine builder Scott's COPO;  class champ Andy Warren's Caprice or old school Nick Scavo Impala.

Thoughts?

K

Help me decide:  time to ditch the rallys? Attachment

Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Help me decide:  time to ditch the rallys? Empty Re: Help me decide: time to ditch the rallys?

Post by stich626 Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:53 am

Hello, nice car.
What about the billet rallies?
Can always paint them argent silver to keep the oem look over the polished look.

stich626
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Help me decide:  time to ditch the rallys? Empty Re: Help me decide: time to ditch the rallys?

Post by Limey SE Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:42 pm

REMEMBER the Pro Stars are still a steel wheel much like the rally wheel

I know a certain SE that would love to have your old Wheels Also LOL BUT Keith all in all That is Part of your Signature over the years and how we/ I recognize your Car ...

If you were going new I would go the lightest wheel like on the COPO

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:17 pm

I like the Weld Pro Stars on the impala, those are the ones I am putting on the Chevelle.  I ran the draglites on my race car for years and wanted a change for the new car.  I agree, they are still out of the 90's but cool still.  And the Pro stars are aluminum, not steel.  The Summit and jegs copies may be steel, but the Weld originals are not. But I would check into others results. I remember seeing a few tests where the wheels didn't help as much as people thought.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:32 pm

Well crap I have prostars and always have thought they were steel they are heavy like steel wheels BUT Looked and they are not, even the Jegs Brand are Aluminum
Sorry Ray i thought they were steel

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by S3SS Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:19 pm

Man... I LOVE your old school signature style it keeps you and the car grounded to its roots...
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:10 pm

I'm a believer of using the lightest wheel you can get. My first hand knowledge goes way back in time when I took the factory 7" snowflake rims off my stock power 77 Firebird in favor of steel Pontiac rally. No more one wheel screech from a dead stop and it just felt slower even at the anemic power level I had.

I prefer wheels with simpler, classic designs over ones that have a lot of detail that are more at home on a low rider or donk.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by clanceman427 Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:37 pm

I’ve heard that a basic guideline for cars is that a 100lb weight savings is a tenth. So do what it takes including wheels and tires, always fun to switch up the look once in a while too. For the fans you can put the Rallies back on for the street after racing.
clanceman427
clanceman427
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by Keith Seymore Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:27 am

Thanks, guys.  I've been watching the thread for any new input.

stich626 wrote:Hello,  nice car.
What about the billet rallies?  
Can always paint them argent silver to keep the oem look over the polished look.  

The billet rallys are quite thick.  I'm not sure that would fool anybody, and not sure how much weight savings there is with them.

Welcome, btw.

clanceman427 wrote:I’ve heard that a basic guideline for cars is that a 100lb weight savings is a tenth.  So do what it takes including wheels and tires, always fun to switch up the look once in a while too.  For the fans you can put the Rallies back on for the street after racing.

I can absolutely confirm 100lbs = one tenth, for static weight.

With wheels there is supposedly also an inertial effect which magnifies that.

K
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down