G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was bound to happen

+4
76 Malibu
77camino
Mcarlo77
Limey SE
8 posters

Go down

Was bound to happen  Empty Was bound to happen

Post by Limey SE Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:17 am

Today is a day we’ve all dreaded. With the exception of Motor Trend, Hot Rod, and Four Wheeler, TEN Publishing will cease the print products of its magazine brands. These titles will continue as web sites and social media accounts, and major investments are being made in digital, so the editors may keep their jobs to continue with that content. As a lifelong fan of print who made his career as a magazine editor, this is a devastating heartbreak of a day—but not a surprise. 19 magazines will stop being printed. This closure of print was not a decision made by the MotorTrend company. Also, this does not affect the MotorTrend app or online video.

Was bound to happen  Fb_img14

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Was bound to happen  Empty Re: Was bound to happen

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:19 am

Sadly, they are going the way of the daily newspaper. Comes as no surprise as the content of these mags has been greatly reduced over recent years. Guess it's good they will live on in some form or fashion in digital format...but, the appeal is lacking for me to have to use my personal device or desktop/laptop to read them. Probably just a matter of time before Hemmings announces a similar plan to replace my current favorite subscription "Musclecar Machines".
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:45 pm

In the early 80’s I could hardly wait until my lastest edition of Super Chevy or Car Craft arrived. Car Craft had a section called cruzin USA, they came to KC and probably 1000’s of people showed up(I was a teenager, maybe not quite that many). I convinced my dad to get the Impala out, once you were in the traffic it took over an hour to move less than a mile. Dad was not near as impressed as I was. Several years ago I got rid of hundreds of old magazines and that is the only issue I kept.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:53 pm

That's really too bad. As much as I like the availability of things online, I still much prefer to read from paper over a screen. I still have several magazine subscriptions and they sit in a stack at my bedside. I also have a big collection in the basement.

It's too bad about a lot of those magazines. I had subscriptions to Car Craft, Hot Rod, Motor Trend, Super Chevy, and Chevy High Performance over the years. They had some good mags in the past. Some of them went in different directions, like Hot Rod, which is why I dropped them.

I also have Hemmings Muscle Car too now. It's a great magazine and I hope it sticks around. If it goes all online, I probably won't continue to read it.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:05 am

I really Dont think Hemmings wont go ONLINE only they just have to many advertisers in that book

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:00 am

Good riddance. They've all been sucking for 20+ years. I can only look at the same Hemi Cuda/69 Camaro/Boss Mustang article so many times before I want to puke -- I'm looking at YOU, Hot Rod -- and their 'in-depth' tech articles rarely had any actual depth. Only Car Craft started to do some different things, but it was well after the downward slide was in full steam. And Street Rodder had always been doing some novel and interesting things, but they lost me after they started talking politics.

The bigger issue is that they suck just as hard online as well (at least last time I checked, which admittedly was a bunch of years ago). There's absolutely no excuse for that, because you are not limited by the cost of paper and postage. There's no excuse for not going into more detail, posting more photos, and profiling some other car than the latest redo of an LS7 Chevelle.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:03 pm

Well stated.....
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 73ss Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:53 pm

I really like waiting on all the stupid pop-up ad's and waiting for the pictures to load while trying to look at an article on-line. It's too much hassle to try and read on-line. Maybe that goes away if you subscribe. I do subscribe to hot-rod but it's not what it was. I enjoyed their "we're gonna fix it" articles but it looks like they quit doing that.
73ss
73ss
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:05 pm

I'm a 25 year subscriber to Car Craft. I've been subscribed to all of them at one point. Dont forget that TEN corporation that owned all those titles also bought the company that put out popular hotrodding and pontiac high performance (mcmanus?) then canceled them too- years ago. These jerks also ran plenty of other mags out of business and now pretty much sh*t the bed themselves. I learned alot all these years from them I'm sad future generations won't be able too.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:20 pm

thatfnthing wrote: They've all been sucking for 20+ years.  I can only look at the same Hemi Cuda/69 Camaro/Boss Mustang article so many times before I want to puke -- I'm looking at YOU, Hot Rod -- and their 'in-depth' tech articles rarely had any actual depth.  Only Car Craft started to do some different things, but it was well after the downward slide was in full steam.  And Street Rodder had always been doing some novel and interesting things, but they lost me after they started talking politics.

The bigger issue is that they suck just as hard online as well (at least last time I checked, which admittedly was a bunch of years ago).  There's absolutely no excuse for that, because you are not limited by the cost of paper and postage.  There's no excuse for not going into more detail, posting more photos, and profiling some other car than the latest redo of an LS7 Chevelle.

+1 You summed it up better than I could have.  Although, I never read Street Rodder, more into 60s and 70s iron myself.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Tue Dec 10, 2019 1:10 pm

+1 here too thatfnthing and 76Malibu.

I too quit subscribing 20 years ago....the articles were / are : pull new parts out of a box...install. IN A PERFECT WORLD!!!

On Camaro , Mustang , Chevelle , Nova. And I get it....this is what most people do....the popular.

They cater to the catalog cars !!

They use to have a DARE TO BE DIFFERENT article here and there.....no more.

This hobby is expensive....daring to be different is a "thing" now.....who wants to pay $7500-$15,000 for a Camaro / Chevelle / Mustang that needs every body panel replaced......anyways.....

When I go to the local cruise in....OR any other event....I gravitate to the unpopular.....

OK.....enough...off my soap box....
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: