G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OOOPS I did it again.

+2
Keith Seymore
fasrnur
6 posters

Go down

OOOPS I did it again.  Empty OOOPS I did it again.

Post by fasrnur Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:14 pm

OOOPS I did it again.  Autocr10
Last weekend was the Street Machine Nationals. I look forward to it every yyear since the early 90's. Last year I decided to try Auto Cross for the first time in over 45 years. It went okay? lol This year I wanted to improve my time. So I did some steering work and would have loved to have gotten my gears in the rear. Oh well. I set out to improve my last years time, and I did it! YAY! lol By swapping to a quicker steering box and some "driver technique" I was able to shave 8 seconds off of last year's time. Gives this old fart some encouragement for next year. lol
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

77cruiser, bucket, Finn Monte and 76Chevelle2Tone like this post

Back to top Go down

OOOPS I did it again.  Empty Re: OOOPS I did it again.

Post by Keith Seymore Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:32 pm

fasrnur wrote:OOOPS I did it again.  Autocr10
Last weekend was the Street Machine Nationals. I look forward to it every yyear since the early 90's. Last year I decided to try Auto Cross for the first time in over 45 years. It went okay? lol This year I wanted to improve my time. So I did some steering work and would have loved to have gotten my gears in the rear. Oh well. I set out to improve my last years time, and I did it! YAY! lol By swapping to a quicker steering box and some "driver technique" I was able to shave 8 seconds off of last year's time. Gives this old fart some encouragement for next year. lol

Nicely done.

I did some auto cross with the Chevelle when I was in college.

The car came equipped with heavy duty sway bars, 8" wide Corvette rallys and Goodyear HR70-15 police pursuit tires on it, so it did pretty well.

I imagine it was kinda funny to see this big 'old Chevelle out there wallering around with the Triumph Tr6's and other small cars.

BTW:  the guy that won our events was Neil Hanneman, who went on to be the Chief Engineer for the original Viper program, so we were in good company.

K

OOOPS I did it again.  Attachment
Keith Seymore
Keith Seymore
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 11

fasrnur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:46 am

Thanks for the compliments Keith. I've always seemed to try and build an all round fun car. Even in the early 70's when I started really playing with cars, I've always wanted the best of all types of racing. I like to go fast in a straight lines, and turn some corners too. I love driving my car, so I need to mold mine into a car that can do it all and still be reliable. So far I'm doing ok? lol
I don't even get a second look from others on the Autocross track. They have no idea what is done to the underside of the old Turd. Just how I like it! "Walk softly and carry a BIG stick!"
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Thu Jul 27, 2023 4:24 pm

Holy Smokes Jeff 8 seconds off time is quite a feat nonetheless that's pretty cool

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:28 am

fasrnur wrote:
By swapping to a quicker steering box and some "driver technique" I was able to shave 8 seconds off of last year's time. Gives this old fart some encouragement for next year. lol

Well 8 seconds faster is quite "outrageous"!
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by anthonyalessi74 Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:34 am

Congratulations on that massive improvement! Do you like the faster steering on the highway?

anthonyalessi74
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

fasrnur likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:48 pm

Thanks. The only thing about a quicker steering on the street is....if you sneeze you've changed lanes. lol
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:27 am

What did you go with for steering box ?
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:56 pm

ant7377 I went with a Jeep Grand Cherokee. 93-97 or so. They all are 2 1/2 turns lock to lock.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

ant7377 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum