G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Antifreeze leak

5 posters

Go down

Antifreeze leak Empty Antifreeze leak

Post by 77camino Sat Jun 15, 2024 6:13 pm

Not my El Camino, but I backed out my completely stock 1986 Monte Carlo SS with the HO 305 and had an antifreeze drip. I have not investigated this very far yet but it looks like antifreeze is collecting in the flywheel cover and dripping out a small hole in the bottom. I’m sure I am going to hate the responses but does anyone have an idea as to where it would be leaking from. I don’t see any oil in the antifreeze or antifreeze in the oil.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Antifreeze leak Empty Re: Antifreeze leak

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:13 am

The way you wrote it almost seems like a trick question, May I ask what the hole is doing there in the first place? Is it in fact a crack in the housing?
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:26 am

Not a trick question. The antifreeze is leaking from somewhere on the back of the block and collecting in the belly of the flywheel cover. There is a small factory hole in the bottom of the cover that the antifreeze will drip out of, definitely not a crack there.
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sun Jun 16, 2024 12:51 am

Is there a gasket in there? Not having a mix of coolant and oil narrows things down but I doubt there is only one failure mode for this. Do those Montes have plugs in the back?
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:13 am

77camino wrote:Not a trick question. The antifreeze is leaking from somewhere on the back of the block and collecting in the belly of the flywheel cover. There is a small factory hole in the bottom of the cover that the antifreeze will drip out of, definitely not a crack there.

I know not the answer you want but inwould lay money on a freeze plug failing since not being driven alot

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:56 am

I agree with Limey, frost plugs could be the issue. Have you checked the heater hose connection at the rear of the intake? it probably wouldn't leak from where you are describing, but you never know. You could add some dye to the coolant to help trace the leak.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:12 pm

There is 2 core plugs in the back of the block.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 16

Back to top Go down

Post by 77camino Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:27 pm

Thanks for the thoughts. Are the freeze plugs replaceable while the engine is in the car?
77camino
77camino
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:42 pm

I think it depends on the particular model what is in the way. 1986 Montes are not G3 obviously. Better make sure it's them leaking first.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:11 pm

If it's the rear freeze plugs, you'd have to remove the transmission, and the flex plate to get at them. It's not the easiest job, so hopefully it's not them leaking. It's a long shot, but if the rear coolant fitting on the intake is leaking, it could be making it's way into the bellhousing and dripping out. That would be a much easier fix.

Antifreeze leak Sbc_re10
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down