G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

door help

+2
maliburacinfreak
1973 454 MONTE
6 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

door help Empty door help

Post by 77malibu77 Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:28 pm

ok when i close my doors they always pop back out about an inch
how do i adjust the door lock to where when i close it its flush with the rest of the car? these new doors i got already have that done to them i just cant see how
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

door help Empty Re: door help

Post by maliburacinfreak Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:37 pm

you sure your hinges arent bad? when they get sloppy, you have to slam the door hard to get it to latch all the way.

btw, why is this in the engine section? LOL

maliburacinfreak
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:55 pm

maliburacinfreak wrote:you sure your hinges arent bad? when they get sloppy, you have to slam the door hard to get it to latch all the way.

btw, why is this in the engine section? LOL

haha i was trying to post in the body section and there was a new post in the engine section and guess i accidently posted here lol (rago or someone can you move this?)

and im positive my hinges arent bad\
ok my friend carlos has a 77 elky and he gave me his old doors and i swapped out the drivers door already and it closes all the way like perfect, and the doors i had on before were off my 77 malibu and they wont close all the way but they do lock shut, there is nothing wrong with my hinges except they wont stay open when i open the door
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:39 pm

77malibu77 wrote:ok when i close my doors they always pop back out about an inch
how do i adjust the door lock to where when i close it its flush with the rest of the car? these new doors i got already have that done to them i just cant see how

you might have to move the striker pin on the door jam.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by maliburacinfreak Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:12 pm

if you just put the door on, have you adjusted it correctly? if all the gaps and body lines are right then adjust your striker like ^ that guy said

maliburacinfreak
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by coreys73chevelle Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:01 pm

77malibu77 wrote:ok when i close my doors they always pop back out about an inch

mine do it also, the most annoying sound in the world is that damn door slapping the door frame with no weatherstripping every time you sand the car or turn a bolt! my drivers side has a broken door hinge but my passanger side is ok, just no weather stripping so it wont shut properly that might be you problem?? check to see if there is any wear on the waetherstripping
coreys73chevelle
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:23 am

no guys its nothing to do with weatherstripping or anything idk about the striker pin because like i said the door wouldnt close all the way then i put the new door on and now it closes and i didnt mess with the striker pin or hinges or anything
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:40 pm

77malibu77 wrote:and im positive my hinges arent bad\
ok my friend carlos has a 77 elky and he gave me his old doors and i swapped out the drivers door already and it closes all the way like perfect, and the doors i had on before were off my 77 malibu and they wont close all the way but they do lock shut, there is nothing wrong with my hinges except they wont stay open when i open the door

I'm confused. You put doors on from an El Camino & they worked good. Then you proceeded to take them off & replace them with the original doors. Now the originals don't work?????

Or did you replace the non-shutting doors & your problem is fixed?

Are you talking about the latching mechanism inside of the actual door? Sometimes they get froze in the shut position & will free up with some patience & a screwdriver.

Idea Don't be afraid to us periods & break up your sentences. That post was too hard to read.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:13 pm

i dont like using periods unless i have to all my thoughts just run-on into each other lol
ok first i started with the doors off my malibu but i want to put them back on the malibu. and my friend carlos just got new doors off of a 77 elky with an ss interior and round gauges so he gave me his old ones.
and his old ones are what i am trying to put on my elky

his old doors are the ones that close all the way and the malibu doors are the ones i am trying to adjust to close all the way its something to do with the latching, i mean it closes and locks it just looks like the door is opened about an inch.
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:07 pm

Adjust the striker bolt. All you need is the right size torx head, loosen it like a regular bolt, reposition, tighten, then test. Repeat the process if necessary.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:10 pm

kk ill try it now thx hopefully that fixes it
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:28 pm

ok i moved it alittle and nothing changed

look see how this door is? its exactly what mine does
door help Marcel11
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:20 pm

How far is "alittle" ? Go ahead and move it more. If there is no more room to adjust, and it still does the same thing, then your latch mechanism isn't working properly.

Get some graphite lube (lock lube) and lube up the latch mechanism. Take off the door panel and squirt that stuff in every place you think it has a chance to get to the inside of the mechanism.

With the door open, work the jaws to the closed position, lift handle to open, repeat, repeat, repeat, until it works smoothly.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by 77malibu77 Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:05 pm

kk well that will be tomorrows project then pirat cuz i just got out of the shower lol
but thank you for the help! Thumbs up
77malibu77
77malibu77
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down