G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paintless Dent Repair?

3 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Paintless Dent Repair? Empty Paintless Dent Repair?

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:55 am

Anybody had this done or know someone who has?

I watched a few youtube vids and it looks like it could work well, one with a guy who used dry ice to remove a hail dent, makes sense that the metal would contract on a warm day.

Got a couple of dings in the Imp SS I was thinking of trying this out on.

MSN Auto story:

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=434597

Discuss...
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Paintless Dent Repair? Empty Re: Paintless Dent Repair?

Post by 74Malibu383 Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:14 am

I had a very good sized dent, almost a crease, fixed by one of these guys on a 2003 Tahoe. A larger woman tripped over a curb and fell into my front fender. Now that I think about it, the dent was huge.

The guy took off my headlight and worked the dent from the inside using some extremely long specialty tools. He used a reflective piece of metal suction cupped to my fender as some sort of reference point, and did a great job. Took him about an hour and a half, but you wouldn't even know it was there after he was done.

Usually the guys charge about $100.00 a dent, but you can work them down if you have multiples.

Like the article says, as long as the paint isn't cracked, they can usually fix it for you.

In the age of "remove and replace" it's nice to know there are still some skilled craftsmen out there.
74Malibu383
74Malibu383
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:21 am

I've heard of the dry ice trick before. Basically the dry ice is supposed to shrink the metal just enough to "pop" the dent back into it's original position. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this would work where there is a crease in the body line or if the dent itself had a crinkle. scratch
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:13 pm

Probably not, but those youtube vids showed one guy using a rod of some sort to work out a pretty nasty crease in a mini van.
One of them showed a guy using POPCORN to pop out a dented fender.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down