G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It happened again!

+15
74MonteCarlo
The Dude
orange Juiced
chevy76monteman
knightfan26917
74chick
Limey SE
1973montec
1973 454 MONTE
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
pila
Biomedtech
1973 Buick Century
77mali
BlackChevelleSS
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

It happened again! - Page 2 Empty Re: It happened again!

Post by JB2wheeler Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:19 pm

If you have a "classic car" insurance company and you drive to a small grocery store four blocks from your house and someone runs into your car while you are inside, the company will not pay off because of restrictions in the policy. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:22 pm

Then don't take it to the grocery store! Simple!

I don't! I take my cars only to shows and for a drive around town. That is IT.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by chevy76monteman Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:37 pm

74MonteCarlo wrote:Why don;t you have a classic insurance company?

"Normal" insurance companies could care less about old cars. They all think they're just junk.

My Monte Carlo is not in show condition and is not valuable enough for classic car insurance. My Monte Carlo is only worth about $2500. When I went online to several classic car insurance sites to get a quote, the minimum value for my car would have to be $5000.

74MonteCarlo wrote:Then don't take it to the grocery store! Simple!

I don't! I take my cars only to shows and for a drive around town. That is IT.

My Monte Carlo is also my daily driver at the moment, since my Grand Prix is out of action. Once I get the GP up and running, its on like Donkey Kong. I will be doing everything I can to get the car restored and then I will regulate it to summer cruiser status.
chevy76monteman
chevy76monteman
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:37 pm

IN MY POST ABOVE, THAT WAS JUST ONE EXAMPLE OF THE MANY RESTRICTIONS THEY HAVE. iF i EPOXY PAINT MY GARAGE FLOOR i CAN NOT PARK MY CAR ON THE STREET IN FRONT OF MY HOUSE OR IN THE DRIVEWAY (IF i HAD ONE, WHICH i DONT). i ALSO HAVE MY 78 eLKY VALUED AT $2,500 FOR INSURANCE PURPOSES BECAUSE i STILL HAVE NOT RESTORED IT again. jb Sorry about the caps, I dont have the strength to retype it.
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:44 pm

I always thought you could declare any value you like with these Classic Auto insurers...just that you'd pay more in premiums.

I used to have State Farm...but, when I bought my Monte and asked about insurance, they wanted to treat it like any other 20 yr old car on the street. When I asked how it would be treated in case it was totaled, they said "Oh, we'd just find you another one". Oh, really? You're going to find me an original mint condition 45K red '77 with white swivel bucket interior? Highly doubtful. That's when I realized these people were clueless about classic cars and so I severed my 20+ yr relationship and switched insurers.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 78

Back to top Go down

Post by orange Juiced Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:18 pm

I used to drive my Malibu to the grocery store every once in while and a couple of times to Target. I was really quick though, just in and out. I would just park way in the back taking up 2 spaces, and I would disable the car. They would have to work really hard to try to take it.
orange Juiced
orange Juiced
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:22 am

Wow. So I guess I'm a nut for driving my car everywhere when it was running.... Took it on trips, drove to work, just basically enjoyed the car for what it was. Gotta enjoy it while I'm still young.

Also I HAD State Farm for several years too. I didn't like how they treated me with insuring my Chevelle, but when I had a fully loaded drop top that was only 4 years old or when I insured my wife's newer cars they acted like I was their best friend. I'm with American Family now & enjoy them much better. No complaints about me switching vehicles frequently, no problems with older cars, cheapest rates with decent coverage. Then again, it could just be the difference in agents. IDK
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:27 am

Nope, not a nut. Personal preference.

I always relay back to my Chevelle begin stolen. Everything makes my leery. I won't leave my cars anywhere. You cannot trust anyone. And as nice as my cars are, they are easy targets.

Not trying to sound like a edit or anything, or saying you're wrong.
Just PERSONALLY...for ME...I will NOT leave my cars ANYWHERE. Even when I use one to pick up my girlfriend and come back to my place, I will not leave her living room, so I can see the driveway.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:10 am

Once upon a time I restored my 78 Elky and gave it to my son in law to drive. He had motor trouble and took it to a mechanic. He lived 300 miles from me. While the car was at the garage someone hit the side of it and went all the way down that side leaving a 4 inch deep gash. The garage owner refused to do anything about it and I had to fix it myself. After a number of years of hard wear my son in law gave the Elky back to me and it sits in my garage waiting for another renewal. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Back to top Go down

Post by abajc3 Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:48 pm

youre not a nut rago. i do that too. i would drive it even more often if the gas was cheaper here, or if i wasnt constantly broke. i really couldnt care less about the mileage, i dont even know what it is, must be somewhere around 50k (probably rolled over already). i just use it like it was a 5 year old car.

but then again, its far from mint condition and originality. when i was younger and didnt have my own car yet, i was dreaming about an original classic. then when i got the car, i started to go that way (was even thinking of repainting it back in beige color, yuck) but then i realized it was pointless (to me). now all i care about is performance and fun.

i still respect original mint condition cars very much, i just wouldnt want to own one. it would be too much of a responsibility for me and wouldnt go well with my character. im more of a go fast hooligan redneck type. my idea of fun is burning rubber, making noise and doughnuts. thank god we are all so different Very Happy

abajc3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:19 pm

Hey just Keep saying no I live in Oregon too I never heard of them doing that before. I had a GMC jimmy that i had just rebuilt the motor and tranny in it. A 16 year old girl hit me basically head on and i told them no like five times they tried to give me 700. Then they said if i could find one for sale similar they would match that price. Of course there wasnt one like mine any where around so i just kept saying that it was unexceptable. Til i got 1850 and kept it with total title i then sold it for 900 still didnt break even but better then 700. Good luck dont let em mess with you. Is this you company or the guy who hit you?
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:13 pm

Rago wrote:Wow. So I guess I'm a nut for driving my car everywhere when it was running.... Took it on trips, drove to work, just basically enjoyed the car for what it was. Gotta enjoy it while I'm still young.

Also I HAD State Farm for several years too. I didn't like how they treated me with insuring my Chevelle, but when I had a fully loaded drop top that was only 4 years old or when I insured my wife's newer cars they acted like I was their best friend. I'm with American Family now & enjoy them much better. No complaints about me switching vehicles frequently, no problems with older cars, cheapest rates with decent coverage. Then again, it could just be the difference in agents. IDK

I switched to American Family, too...and, have never had an issue with car damage settlements (two deer hits and a T-bone incident involving my son); nor storm damage to the house. They insure my Monte for $7500 and no appraisal was needed. Of course, I have Minnesota collector plates on it and that is supposed to imply you only drive it on Sundays and in parades...yeah, right! Laughing

Oh, and just for the record...I don't care what anyone says, Rago...you ARE nuts!! HA! Sorry...couldn't resist, my friend! Beer
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 78

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum