G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Legal help

+2
JB2wheeler
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
6 posters

Go down

Legal help Empty Legal help

Post by wokrdan AKA BU Balls Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:01 pm

So, I received a notice on my doorstep today from the town saying that I have to register my Malibu or remove it within 15 days, or they are going to report it as an abandoned vehicle and fine me $250. It's been there over a year, never registered in NY, and the body is on cinder blocks, the engine and tranny are in the garage, and the frame is on blocks in the yard with no wheels. Has anyone run into something like this, because to me, I have parts in my driveway, not a motor vehicle. If anyone knows how I can peckerslap the town building inspector with a loophole, it would be greatly appreciated.
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
wokrdan AKA BU Balls
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Legal help Empty Re: Legal help

Post by Limey SE Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:30 pm

so register it and be done, cheaper to register it than lose all time and money invested in it right ??

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:22 pm

Where I live there is no WAY it can be registered without a vehile inspection that includes driving it in to the sherrif's station and having lights, wipers, horn and stuff checked. As for it sitting around, if its not registered it has to be in a garage or where NO neighbors can see any part of it. If you sit a registered car in front of your house on the street, you have to get up every morning and put it in neutral and push it a couple of inches forward or backwards to keep the chalk marks from lining up that the police put on your tire and pavement. That also applies to alley right of way behind a garage. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:32 pm

prob same in NY I would assume, here just take title and monies get it registered

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry46765 Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:44 pm

So the car is on blocks in your yard...

A vehicle is property.
You can't insure property until you prove that you own it.
If it isn't registered, you don't own it in the eyes of the state.
Go down and apply for transfer of title but don't apply for a registration for plates.

It will not be abandon since you have proof of ownership, but it obliviously won't be operable since they can see the parts spread all over your yard.
That may be your ordinance downfall; it may have to be operable…

Good Luck -
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:20 pm

I too live in NY .Those dorks cant come on your property and take anything any way. If you want to spend the dough put some cheap Ins on it and get some plates, the inspection you can get when you get it moving.You know you dont need the car there at DMV to get it reg. just an ins card and title and bill of sale. If you dont want to go through that go to the town hall speak to the scumbag code enforcer-nicely and see what the story is. Bottom line he cant do anything if you have a reg on the car. Another thing hide the frame and get a car cover for the body.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Jedediah Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:23 pm

Could put up one of those Costco car ports like i have and it will be out of site and technically in a garage. Every city has its own laws on this kind of stuff. You should try the nice way and ask them what is the proper thing for you to do since it is a project or under repair car. Registing here in Oregon is costly now you have to do it every 2 years, so if I am not driving a car for along time i let it go til i am ready to drive it.
Jedediah
Jedediah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down