G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

floors sprint, el camino, chevelles

3 posters

Go down

floors sprint, el camino, chevelles Empty floors sprint, el camino, chevelles

Post by ondalevel Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:12 pm

I have a 1974 sprint with bad floors. The rot goes all the way back behind the smugglers box under the bed. Recently I picked up a floor out of a 73 chevelle and started to clean it up. I also picked up a front cross member out of an el camino and 4 patch panels aftermarket for a chevelle since the do not make el camino or sprint for these years. I started to patch the chevelle floor with the new panals then I was going to have to cut it in half and put it back in the Sprint since the whole thing would not fit thru the door. I noticed something was not right and when I compared the front cross member from the junk yard to the chevelle cross member I saw the passenger side was different. I was going to drill out the chevelle cross member and slide the patch floors underneath it and weld it back to the brace and tunnel then to the outer rocker. I found that the chevelle floor was not the same size as the sprints. The sprint is about 4 1/2 inches longer??? I am hoping that I can use the rear of the chevelle floor pan with some tunnel and the patch floor pans then the junk yard cross member and maybe the kick panels again from the chevelle. Anyone have any ideas if this will work. I am into it now for the long haul, and don't tell me to scrap the whole project because it was my deceased father in laws car that he wanted my son to have.

Thanks
Andy

ondalevel
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

floors sprint, el camino, chevelles Empty Re: floors sprint, el camino, chevelles

Post by jerry46765 Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:01 pm

For 1973, the wheelbase dimensions were retained; a sporty 112 inches (2,800 mm) for coupes and 116 inches (2,900 mm) for sedans and station wagons.

So if you got floors from a 2-door coupe, they will be short by 4 inches...

Hope this helps.

Jerry
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

floors sprint, el camino, chevelles Empty Re: floors sprint, el camino, chevelles

Post by jerry46765 Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:02 pm

Sorry didn't finish, you need floor bits from a 4-door, sprint / el camino, or a wagon....

Thanks-
jerry46765
jerry46765
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:11 pm

If that body is that rusted, you may want to look the frame over good. I had to scrap a '77 because of sever rust in the frame as well as floors, the bed, and structure under the bed etc. Usually the rear section behind the rear wheels is where most rust frame seems to show up.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down