G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

where did they go ?

+4
77mali
Mcarlo77
bigredlaguna
BicknellWelding
8 posters

Go down

where did they go ? Empty where did they go ?

Post by BicknellWelding Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:24 am

As I search craigslist daily for cars and parts, I notice ads saying "getting hard to find". The G3's have been scarce out here in New England for years. The ones that didnt rot away completely became circle track cars. And were doomed to be scraped in a season or two. But inside the last decade with scrap prices up and that cash for clunkers garbage, they were almost completely wiped out. Guys out here were banging on doors for anything sitting in the backyard or driveway that looked unused. They were making good money at the scrapyard. But at the expense of extinction. Its even rare to see a 78-88 g body on the street. I see more pre 73 cars in a season than the post 73 cars. im sure Im just beating a dead horse here, but it was on my mind this morning.

And while I'm ranting, Whats the best defense for the response i constantly on my car. "Thats not really a Chevelle, They stopped in '72....." And then i have to listen to a 20 minute story about how their buddy in high school had a '70 454 SS. My response to that is usually " Oh nice! did he get the red one with the black stripes, or the black one with white stripes?." (No offense the the guys with 70's, i love em too. but you guys have some "winners" representing you.)
BicknellWelding
BicknellWelding
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

where did they go ? Empty Re: where did they go ?

Post by bigredlaguna Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:27 pm

1) G3 frames and bodies were the most dominant car in NASCAR until Furd caught up with the aero T-bird. Restrictor plate racing was applied only to the slope nose Laguna at first because it was superior to the other body styles--and they still dominated. G2 style can't claim that.

2) Many G3 cars were robbed of their suspensions to retrofit onto G2 cars in the dirt track set because of the better geometry.

3) This generation had the highest sales ever for GM. I think the Cutlass was the highest count.

4) The 73-77 frame and suspension was widely used in other cars. Don't put down our Chevelle unless you are ready to diss the 94-96 Impala SS. Don't know very many people that will say that car was junk.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:00 pm

Like in your part of the country, the number of '73-'77 "A" bodies spotted on the street during the summer cruising season is virtually nill. I have, however, noticed a few more are popping up each year at local shows. But, when you consider the number of these cars that were being sold new back in the day (for example; something like 350K Montes and a whopping 630K Cutlasses in 1977 alone), you do have to wonder why more of them didn't survive the crusher and racing circuit. Obviously, they were hugely popular in their day and I get comments all the time from people I meet while driving my car how they or someone close to them had a similar ride. They always have a smile and fond memories when reminiscing about them. Now, of course, the lack of parts and a poor economy has frustrated many owners from keeping and restoring what cars are left and it just leads to more projects being abandoned and sent to the crusher. That's why sites like this one are so vital to preserving these cars. I've said it before...I love the muscle cars of the late '60's-early '70's and rank the Camaro and Chevelle among the top of my list. But, I've reached a point in my life where I'm much more interested in seeing the other less common cars at shows. I mean really, haven't we all seen just about every variation there is to a restored Camaro, Chevelle, Mustang, etc.? Been there...done that.

As for the pre-'73 Chevy guys go, you'll rarely get them to acknowledge any car made after 1972 is to be taken seriously. So, forget them and hang with the crowd that appreciates these cars for what they are.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 78

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:04 pm

If anyone told me I didn't have a real Chevelle I'm not sure I would have a polite response. The name ended in 1977...and our "stock" cars ride much nicer than the 68-72 w/ their stock suspension, sorry but it's a fact.
Very Happy
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:58 pm

I'm no expert on model names for sure. I just figured a Malibu was a trim level above a Chevelle. Sorta like an SS in the G3s was just a trim level. ??

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:17 pm

When you get that post 1972 comment take it as a grain of salt .Its usually coming from someone that just likes there own car or dosent know squat about cars. Some prefer one year or generation over another but a true car lover can find somethng in almost any generation of cars. You need to have alot of dedication to redo one of these cars as we know, and if someone is going to knock it, another American made RWD car that is using many of the same parts as a pre 1972 model, then they are disrespectful and not true car guys,id say pathetic.I dont care for early Mustangs but im not going to hammer someone for having one,I would never do that. Myself I prefer these because that is what was there when I was growing up, and most older guys will say that about whatever they are driving too. Ive noticed more everything around here lately more 80's g-bodys, more different cars its good too,keeps stuff fresh.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 72ragtop Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:06 pm

It is amazing how few of these seem to be left. 64-72 A bodies seem far more plentiful than the 73-77's. A real eye opener for me has been parts availability. With my 72 Chevelle, I don't even think about it, if you need it, it's usually around. Whole different story with the 77 Grand Prix, parts seem to be very hard to come by. A craigslist search for "Grand Prix" in a 200 mi. radius turns up older and newer, but rarely anything, parts or cars, for the 73-77. 69-72 Grand Prix parts and cars even seem to be much easier to find. But I've been driving the GP a lot, and it certainly turns heads, gets comments and "thumbs up".
Jim

72ragtop
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by texan01 Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:28 pm

They were almost all junked in the early to mid 90s. I know this as I was scrounging parts for my 76 then, and could find everything I could want.

the 73-77 Chevelles not being the real deal. I just bring out my owners manual and point to the cover at car shows. That usually shuts the detractors down. I get the loudmouths that still rattle on about my car, and I ask them nicely where their car is and they come up with some lame excuse or another about what or why its not there. Remember the most important opinion on your car is YOU, it is what YOU want not what THEY want.

Its aways funny when I tell people that I have one, they start thinking the 68-72 cars and I show them a picture of mine, and they seem to strip a gear trying to figure out what it is.

texan01
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum