G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Younger brothers 67 Cougar

+2
ant7377
1973 454 MONTE
6 posters

Go down

Younger brothers 67 Cougar Empty Younger brothers 67 Cougar

Post by Malicruiser Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:04 am

My younger brother was just as fortunate as I was to achieve getting his dream car. He, being similar to me, didn't want anything cookie cutter like a camaro, or a mustang. Last year he found one for $2900 running and driving without rust, but It was still really rough. Tell me, would you buy this as your daily driver LOL?

Younger brothers 67 Cougar 110
Younger brothers 67 Cougar 212
Younger brothers 67 Cougar 311
Younger brothers 67 Cougar 67810
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Younger brothers 67 Cougar Empty Re: Younger brothers 67 Cougar

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:36 am

I had one of these along time ago. 67 XR7 with factory 390.
Nice find.
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Younger brothers 67 Cougar Empty Re: Younger Brothers 67 Cougar

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:56 am

I've got one of those sitting in my garage ( XR7)! Bought it for the same reason...hardly see any of them around. Here's a pic of it with my son behind the wheel. Not only do I love the styling (Motor Trend's Car of the Year in 1967), but also all the "doo-dads" on these XR7's

Younger brothers 67 Cougar Justin10

Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:51 pm

Cougars are way cooler than Stang's. Mercury really put a lot of thought and engineering into those 1st gen models. If I could I'd get an "Eliminator". One of my Fav. non GM models.

77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoMalibu Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:18 pm

Sweet! Heck yeah i'd get that as a daily driver. My friend has a '69 Cougar XR7 Convertible with the original 351 Cleveland he's putting back together.
Speaking of daily driver Merc's, here's my '64 Mercury Monterey Marauder. I'm taking it off the road soon, it's due for some work. Needs a flywheel, it's missing teeth and I just replaced the trans last fall. What a pain!

Younger brothers 67 Cougar 002

It's rough around the edges but still gets looks and it's crazy fun to drive! Smile
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:28 am

It actually is an original XR7. But it's only the 289 no 390, oh well he's building a 347 for right now. My only worry about this car that I couldn't have know when we went to look at it is that it has a Mustang upper control arm and spindle on the passenger side, no signs of damage anywhere so I don't think it was wrecked.

Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:32 am

Here's how she sits now 6 months later.

Younger brothers 67 Cougar 41893011

Younger brothers 67 Cougar 42454310

Younger brothers 67 Cougar 43230610

Younger brothers 67 Cougar 73610
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:37 am

Oh yeah need engine bay pictures lol.

Before:

Younger brothers 67 Cougar 68010

After:

Younger brothers 67 Cougar 79810
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoMalibu Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:48 am

Looking much better! Thumbs up
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:04 am

Thanks. He doesn't know I've posted this here HAHAHA! Laughing

He's off at basic training right now so me and my dad are thinking bout doing an overhaul on the suspension for him since the front end is really in need of a rebuild.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:09 pm

DiscoMalibu wrote:
Speaking of daily driver Merc's, here's my '64 Mercury Monterey Marauder. I'm taking it off the road soon, it's due for some work. Needs a flywheel, it's missing teeth and I just replaced the trans last fall. What a pain!
It's rough around the edges but still gets looks and it's crazy fun to drive! Smile

Marauders are awesome! What I've got a yearning for right now is a '66/'67 Cyclone GT.

Malicruiser: As for the suspension on your Cougar, it's been some years since I went through all that on my car. But, if memory serves me right, the only part that is different from a Mustang is the Lower Control Arm (1967 only). So, your question about the upper control arm and spindle being a Mustang part should be irrelevant. Most replacement parts are sold as Mustang parts since they are much more widely reproduced. Only question would be why didn't they replace both sides at that time?

If you need any help or parts (non-suspension), let me know...I've got boxes of them for XR7's. I bought my car before the days of e-Bay and Craigslist and grabbed anything and everything I could find in the salvage yards unique to these cars as they weren't (and most still aren't) reproduced. Still have a rare tilt column w/woodgrain steering wheel sitting in the basement in mint condition that I never got around to installing.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:21 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:
DiscoMalibu wrote:

Malicruiser: As for the suspension on your Cougar, it's been some years since I went through all that on my car. But, if memory serves me right, the only part that is different from a Mustang is the Lower Control Arm (1967 only). So, your question about the upper control arm and spindle being a Mustang part should be irrelevant. condition that I never got around to installing.
That's not quite true, we found out the hard way that the upper control arms on Cougars (the 67 at least) have a different number of bolts holding the upper ball joint the the control arm than the mustang. No idea why they did that. And I made a mistake earlier, the passenger side spindle is from a 69 Mustang, we tried bearings for a 67 Cougar, then a 67 Mustang, then decided to just bring the entire spindle to the parts store to do the trial and error right there. Turns out the 69 mustang spindle fits the same except for the bearing races. So funny enough right now it has one 67 Cougars drum brake on the driver side, and one 69 Mustang drum brake on the passenger side.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:24 pm

I would rather have one of those Cougars over a Mustang as well and I am liking the Marauder !
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:31 pm

Yeah...I do remember the three bolt vs four bolt ball joint, but you can buy either one. Aside from that, I thought the control arm was the same.

I also pulled a front disc brake setup complete with spindles off a '69 Cougar that never made it onto my car. Someday, I might get motivated to delve back into that car. Also had plans to put a 347 stroker in it. Once I got it looking and driving decently, I never got motivated to tear it all back down for a proper restoration. Sure get a lot of looks when I take it out on the road!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Malicruiser Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:34 pm

ant7377 wrote:I would rather have one of those Cougars over a Mustang as well and I am liking the Marauder !
To be honest I'd love to have a 73 Comet.
Malicruiser
Malicruiser
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:21 pm

This is what I'm talkin' 'bout- lol!

http://www.investmentmotorcars.net/inventory/detail/70cougar/detail.htm
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by DiscoMalibu Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:40 pm

ant7377 wrote:I would rather have one of those Cougars over a Mustang as well and I am liking the Marauder !

Well thanks! She's getting parked tho, i've been driving the heck out of it for a year so its had a good run. I saved it from someones backyard where it'd been sitting for nearly 20 years for $200! Of course I have about $1400 into it running and driving. I've switch my attention to the Disco Malibu, haven't driven it in over two years. Besides the 390 is getting tired with blow-by on a couple cylinders, bad flywheel and the radiator needs to be re-cored. The interior is in nice shape but the sheetmetal... not so much. I've never seen another one in person to this day. Definately gonna hang on this one! Smile

Cougars are sweet and I understand the cookie cutter ordeal. That's why I own a G3 and a Marauder! Everyone in my area has a third-gen Camaro or early 90's Mustang. Gotta break away from the norm. Glad to see this Cougar had a second chance at life in the fastlane. Keep on savin 'em and drivin' em... and heck, that's why we're all here right? Smile
DiscoMalibu
DiscoMalibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:15 pm

77mali wrote:This is what I'm talkin' 'bout- lol!

I'd give my left one for one of those!

I remember a yellow 1970 Eliminator 428 Cobra Jet 4-spd that went across the block at Barrett-Jackson when I was down there in like 2007. It went for something like $120,000! That was the time some old guy shuffled up next to me while I was drooling like a fool over it and proceeded to tell me he had a '69 CJ Eliminator at home in Florida. He also informed me he had two original, pristine '66 Shelby Mustangs (both with Paxton blowers) in storage and asked if I was interested in buying them ( I must have looked like a million bucks that day!). He didn't want to run them through the auction and he'd only sell them as a pair. Asking price? $350,000/pr! Of course, 2007 was probably the height of the market and that was in the ballpark of what they were selling for...assuming they were as nice as he described.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:36 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:
77mali wrote:This is what I'm talkin' 'bout- lol!

I'd give my left one for one of those!

I remember a yellow 1970 Eliminator 428 Cobra Jet 4-spd that went across the block at Barrett-Jackson when I was down there in like 2007. It went for something like $120,000! That was the time some old guy shuffled up next to me while I was drooling like a fool over it and proceeded to tell me he had a '69 CJ Eliminator at home in Florida. He also informed me he had two original, pristine '66 Shelby Mustangs (both with Paxton blowers) in storage and asked if I was interested in buying them ( I must have looked like a million bucks that day!). He didn't want to run them through the auction and he'd only sell them as a pair. Asking price? $350,000/pr! Of course, 2007 was probably the height of the market and that was in the ballpark of what they were selling for...assuming they were as nice as he described.

They are bada$$ius maximus Very Happy Check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxoxDnKLYgE
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:39 pm

Malicruiser wrote:Here's how she sits now 6 months later.

Younger brothers 67 Cougar 41893011

Younger brothers 67 Cougar 42454310

Younger brothers 67 Cougar 43230610

Younger brothers 67 Cougar 73610

Nice!!!!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down