G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SBC Distributors

5 posters

Go down

SBC Distributors Empty SBC Distributors

Post by Joe73 Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:54 pm

Thought I'd post up some info I've dug up about the current distributors available for chevies. All of these models require a "box" for them to operate properly. All these dizzys are mechanical advance. In case someone else is looking for an ignition upgrade, this should save you some time.

Summit racing, Street Strip, Billet Distributor, Model # 850050
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-850050/replacementparts

MSD Pro-Billet Distributor, Model # 85551
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-85551/replacementparts

Mallory Billet Distributor, Model # 85551M
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/maa-85551m

Here's what I've found. All the above dizzys look real similar to each other. As shown in the summit link, they all take the same dizzy cap. The Summit and MSD come with "O" rings for the bottom of the shaft IF your block is machined to use them. Mine isnt so no concern for me. MSD and Mallory come with a recurve kit (basically a couple of springs and small bushings) but Summit could not tell me if theirs comes with the kit or not.

Now for the good stuff. I researched the availability of replacement parts for all the dizzys above. If found alot of OPINIONS that the summit dizzy is a Mallory unit. People at Summit could not confirm either way, but did say that their dizzy is a good performer. A quick look at the links above shows replacement parts for the Summit and MSD but nothing for the Mallory. A closer look shows the replacement module for the Summit and MSD look identical. Could not find any replacement module info for the Mallory anywhere on the net. So I did a quick "online chat" with Mallory regarding a part number for their module. Their email back explained that the module is located at the bottom of the distributor and not replaceable. If I think the module is faulty, I should send the dizzy to them for testing and replacement. Thats too much of a pain for me.

So now I looked a little further about replacement modules for the Summit/MSD dizzy. I took a look at Pro-Comp Electronics and All Star dizzys. Since they look identical as well. I was able to locate replacement modules for both of these distributors but NEITHER modules look like the Summit/MSD module.

So my initial thought was to pick up a Summit dizzy after some research. Initially, I did find the Mallory cheaper with free shipping on Amazon so I thought I would go for the price match at Summit for it. But now, I'll be passing on the Mallory because of the non user friendly module. The MSD is a nice unit but I cant justify the almost 100 bucks extra. I think the Summit dizzy would be the best bang for the buck. Not too keen on the flat black cap but that would eventually get changed out when its time for a tune up.

Guys, I'm just posting some stuff that I've dug up regarding these dizzys. I'm not saying its gospel. Nor am I saying that the Summit unit IS an MSD. All I'm saying it what I've found above. I think Summit makes (should say sells because they dont MAKE anything) a good item for a fair price. Just my 2 cents guys. If this info helps anyone out, GREAT !!!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE !!!!!
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

SBC Distributors Empty Re: SBC Distributors

Post by Joe73 Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:26 pm

Found the directions for the summit dizzy. Looks like it does come with the curve kit.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/sum-850050.pdf
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:56 pm

Thanks for all the info Joe.
I've run a stock distributor with the big MSD module and an Accel super coil on top, for many years, with no problems up to 7000 RPM. I have a cheap Mallory in my Malibu right now, which works OK

So many after market distributors out there these days, new guys have a hard time choosing what they really need.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:21 am

Wow thats crap about the Mallory! I cant believe they would make that like that,pretty dumb. I have a Mallory Unilite in my car and it works good, if you have one and need a module for it you can use the one from Accel's point conversion kit. Its the same but a different color and costs half the price.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:14 am

Mallory built a lot of marine engine distributors, likely since the 30s. My old '63 Cabin cruiser had one. It was a dual-point type. Had trouble with the flat cap on it several times, which was not stocked locally, and switched to an HEI which I modified for marine use. It starts better now, with an Accel super coil on top.
It's 327 Chevy powered marine conversion.

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:43 am

I pulled the trigger and bought the summit dizzy. Now I'll keep my eyes out for a good deal on an MSD 6AL box. Or if I run out of time I might p/u the summit box instead. No rush here. Hunting season is over so now I have to decide when I'll be pulling the body. Just lining up some parts. I'm pretty sure I know which bottom end I'll be going with. Just want to get the new aluminum manifold and scattershield powdercoated when I get them out.

FYI I just bought new rubber brakes lines, rear spring isolators and MOTOR MOUNTS. Get this, rock auto has the cheapest price for the motor mounts but they even list an HD model for my 73 and THEY'RE LESS THAN $7 EACH. Amazing. So I bought them as well. Sometimes rock auto amazes me on their prices.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:48 am

I love Rock Auto's website- easy to search stuff & lots of pics. I never searched for engine mounts there but you're right- UNBELIEVEABLE deal, when you consider the chains sell just the rubber for like $25.00/ea!
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by Biomedtech Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:48 pm

Joe73 wrote: Get this, rock auto has the cheapest price for the motor mounts but they even list an HD model for my 73 and THEY'RE LESS THAN $7 EACH. Amazing. So I bought them as well. Sometimes rock auto amazes me on their prices.

They sell the clamshells too? Shocked
Biomedtech
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: