G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

exterior vinyl trim

+2
Pontichev327
dynchel
6 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

exterior vinyl trim Empty exterior vinyl trim

Post by Bret Mullikin Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:42 am

My white vinyl body trim that runs on the middle of the door and body has turned brown. Does anybody know how to restore it?

Thanks,

Bret
Bret Mullikin
Bret Mullikin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

exterior vinyl trim Empty Re: exterior vinyl trim

Post by dynchel Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:03 am

Maybe try bleach white?  The kind they sell for whitewall tires.  I would just try a small spot to make sure there are no bad side effects.afro
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by Bret Mullikin Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:19 am

That's exactly what I was going to try first. It's my favorite tire cleaner. You have to rinse it off the paint right away.
Bret Mullikin
Bret Mullikin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

exterior vinyl trim Empty Found some replacement white/chrome vinyl side moldings - What do you think?

Post by Bret Mullikin Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:31 am

www.customautotrim.com/products/moldings/body_5eights.htm#MDG101

Has anyone seen this or used this product before? It looks like a good solution. How do I remove my old trim?
Bret Mullikin
Bret Mullikin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Bret Mullikin Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:33 am

By the way, no cleaner removed the brown from my trim.
Bret Mullikin
Bret Mullikin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Pontichev327 Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:53 am

Did you try Comet and scrubbing? Again, just be careful on the paint.
Pontichev327
Pontichev327
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Bret Mullikin Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:01 pm

The brown is throughout the vinyl. I tried everything. I have no idea what caused it. When I parked it four years ago in the shop with a cover, it was clean and as white as any 35 year old piece could be. Makes a guy wonder what he's been breathing in there!
Bret Mullikin
Bret Mullikin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:05 pm

Dumb Q: How about white vinyl dye?
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:07 pm

If your trim looks like this (same as on my '77 Monte), you have two options.  The white vinyl insert can be lifted at one end and just peeled off from the chrome molding.  Just did this for another Monte owner who needed some white inserts.  Or, you can remove the entire molding...it's held on by clips.  You'll notice the short ones behind the doors also have a front screw helping to hold it on.

I used a soap pad to scrub the vinyl insert for this guy.  The long door ones cleaned up nicely.  Couple of the short ones didn't clean up so well (were permanently yellowed).  Here's what I would suggest...take a soap pad and try cleaning the top part of the vinyl while being very careful not to scratch the chrome molding.  If it cleans off the yellow, you might then try taping off the chrome so you can get at the top and bottom edges.  If the yellow doesn't scrub off, you could then consider using a replacement from that website you referenced.  Looks like their pt. #MDG156 might work.  These Monte inserts measure 9/16" wide at the base.  They are held on with an adhesive.  I used a 3M Trim/Vinyl adhesive a couple summers ago to reattach about half the length of the driver door insert after I came out one hot afternoon and found it dangling from the door.

exterior vinyl trim Sideml10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Bret Mullikin Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:15 pm

The chrome really isn't chrome anymore, either. It's kind of clear, yellow, and brown. I guess it is just plastic with a type of chrome tape or something on it.
Bret Mullikin
Bret Mullikin
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by driveit Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:01 pm

Tape it all off around the chrome. Scuff it up good and spray paint it white. Maybe not what everyone else would do, but would work for me!
driveit
driveit
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:35 pm

Huh...mine's definitely stainless/chrome. There's two other '77's and a '75 sitting up here in the yards that have the same style side moldings as mine (factory RPO BW2). Yours may not have been factory installed and just stuck on with adhesive. If that's the case and yours is looking pretty worn, might be time to consider pulling it and installing new stuff. Just make sure the new molding is at least the same width as the old.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down