G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MP3 ideas?

4 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Audio

Go down

MP3 ideas? Empty MP3 ideas?

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:17 pm

The factory radio in the Malibu not only is there, but it WORKS!! I want to keep it there and working. It currently plays through the dash speaker and 1 original 6x9 in the back.

What I would like to do is run 2 decent speakers in the back that I can hook my player to, without installing a new stereo.

I'm guessing there is some sort of technology that would make this easy, but I ain't got a clue what it is. I've seen some EQs with aux plug ins that might do the job, but wondered if you guys have used something like that or if you know of something better.

Another question...I've bought numerous aftermarket speakers over the last 20 years, and I gotta tell ya that none of them seem to sound as good as some of the recent factory systems I've been around. The only thing that came close was a set of kickers I had in a mustang. But even they were tinny sounding to me. Keep in mind that as long as I can hear the music with the windows down at 70 mph, I'm good...don't need to shake the neighborhood.

Suggestions?

I'm even thinking of hitting ebay for a used set out of a recent car.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

MP3 ideas? Empty Re: MP3 ideas?

Post by bigredlaguna Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:46 pm

You need to be careful on the speaker selection. If I remember right, the original speakers of this era were 2 ohm. Most modern speakers are 4 ohm. As far as running extra speakers from your original system, you likely only have the two outputs for speakers from the original head unit. You could wire two 4 ohm speakers in parallel which would bring the ohms for the circuit back down to 2 ohm, but there would not be any stereo effect.
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by bigredlaguna Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:33 am

If you can translate some of this, this guy wanted the exact same thing you do.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/mp3-player-with-old-radio-one-solution_topic16338.html

Good luck, if you dare. Very Happy
bigredlaguna
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 53

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:15 am

Actually, that is pretty easy. The hard part was translating that guy's "English" into English. Smile
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:19 am

I watched a youtube vid that was similar. Tons of stuff around to modify a radio for mp3 or ipod.

What I'm trying to do is set something up completely separate from the radio itself.

I'm almost down to installing a separate head unit in the glove box or console. I'd rather have something smaller that would accomplish the same thing, because I don't want another radio,CD player etc. What I'm looking for is a EQ (or something like it) with a power switch and output that I can wire into the ignition that would only power the rear speakers, independent from the radio circuit. Basically an entirely separate system on it's own circuit.

I found something like that on ebay back in the spring, but I can't find it now.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:28 am

Take a look at dx.com. search for car amplifier mp3 or car amplifier usb. Might find something you can use there.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:30 am

Thanks...

Something like this ya think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Soundstream-MPQ-4US-1-2-DIN-4-Band-Parametric-Equalizer-EQ-USB-SD-MP3-Player-/181527778456?hash=item2a43e61498&vxp=mtr

Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:33 am

AHA!!!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Add-a-Hidden-Secret-MP3-Stereo-System-to-your-Classic-or-Vintage-Car-SD-or-USB-/231395204590?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35e03a9dee&vxp=mtr
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down