G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello From Austin

+8
Wallyuph
Tom77
1973 454 MONTE
Dinomyte
marks454ss
77mali
1973montec
thatfnthing
12 posters

Go down

Hello From Austin Empty Hello From Austin

Post by sportster_restorer Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:40 pm

I've been a long-time Laguna owner. My first was a 75 that I bought in 1990. Drove it for a while, then sold off the 350 and intended a 454 swap. Well, that never happened as life and work got in the way. Its rusting away in the back yard. I call it the organ donor.

I recently picked up a 74 Laguna, white exterior, red interior with swivel buckets of course. 350 4-bbl with 350 auto. its supposedly a 60K mile original CA car. It still has the CA title so I know that's true. Smog pump says Cali also. The body on it is nearly rust-free but it looks like someone painted it with a roller. However, that thick paint might just look better with a cut and buff. At least for now. Main problems is leaking windshield and back window (only a bit as trunk looks good). Its scheduled for all the interior parts I've gathered for the 75. Not sure I want to reupholster the swivel buckets. The passenger is daily driver good, but the driver's seat is pretty much toast.

One thing on the car I noticed is some PO put 17" rims on it. Gonna get some better tires today. But what got my attention is the rims are dual bolt pattern. Looks like the other pattern is 5x5. So I'm seriously thinking of a full Impala/Caprice/B-car front disc and posi rear end transplant. No problems with the 5x5 B-car parts as the 17s are already 5x5. This looks good.

One thing that appears unusual is the 350 4-barrel (which appears all stock, but i noticed silicone seal beneath the intake manifold, and that suggests its been off) has a single exhaust. I thought all 350 4-barrels had dual exhaust. Or perhaps the Laguna was a 2-barrel that someone swapped to a 4-barrel. The manifold does look stock cast iron even with the EGR. Oh, the radiator panel does say 350-400 so it might just have been a 350 4-barrel from the factory, but with single exhaust?

After getting all the lights working and getting it inspected as is, I do plan headers, dual exhaust and one of several Eldebrock manifolds to start. Should be fun. Oh, and get the windows resealed as Texas seems to be having a really wet Winter, which we badly need.

sportster_restorer
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Hello From Austin Empty Re: Hello From Austin

Post by thatfnthing Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:46 pm

Welcome! Post some pics when you can!
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:14 pm

Welcome.  The original literature from '74 lists only 454's coming from the factory with dual exhaust.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 40

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973montec Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:02 pm

73-74 montes had duals if 4brl-350 and 454s.

maybe its the same with chevelles
1973montec
1973montec
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by 77mali Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:51 am

Welcome. Look @ your transmission crossmember for a single or dual hump.
77mali
77mali
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 62

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:56 am

77mali wrote:Welcome.  Look @ your transmission crossmember for a single or dual hump.
I believe all '73/'74's came with dual hump cross members.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by marks454ss Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:28 am

Welcome from North Carolina!
marks454ss
marks454ss
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:19 am

Welcome from Canada. . .
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Hello From Austin Empty Pics of the 74 Laguna

Post by sportster_restorer Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:45 pm

With the 275x40-17s. Hello From Austin <a href=Hello From Austin White_12" />
Hello From Austin <a href=Hello From Austin White_13" />

Hello From Austin <a href=Hello From Austin White_14" />

sportster_restorer
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:32 am

Looks like a Nice Builder, Keep up the fight Man it will get there
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:41 am

Welcome, Its always so nice to see another one saved and being made into what you want for your own tastes.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:09 am

very nice looking ride.
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by 1973 454 MONTE Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:11 pm

welcome
1973 454 MONTE
1973 454 MONTE
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:35 am

Welcome to the site. Enjoy!
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by sportster_restorer Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:21 pm

I just discovered my VIN has a U as the engine code. For a 1974, I think that means it was an original 400 cu. in. motor. Unfortunately, the engine is a 350 confirmed from the engine code on the front pad and the balancer. Decoding it seems to indicate a motor from a 79 350. Haven't had the valve covers off to see the cylinder head numbers.

I did also notice there's no 400 on the front fenders above the side lights. Nor does there appear to be holes for the letters. Strange, I thought the 74s had 400 or 454 there.

So I'm wondering if I should try and dig up a 400 block or go with a 5.3 LS transplant.

sportster_restorer
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Wallyuph Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:26 pm

sportster_restorer wrote:I just discovered my VIN has a U as the engine code. For a 1974, I think that means it was an original 400 cu. in. motor. Unfortunately, the engine is a 350 confirmed from the engine code on the front pad and the balancer. Decoding it seems to indicate a motor from a 79 350. Haven't had the valve covers off to see the cylinder head numbers.

I did also notice there's no 400 on the front fenders above the side lights. Nor does there appear to be holes for the letters. Strange, I thought the 74s had 400 or 454 there.

So I'm wondering if I should try and dig up a 400 block or go with a 5.3 LS transplant.

5.3 transplant is the way to go if you ask me.
Wallyuph
Wallyuph
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Post by dynchel Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:27 pm

X2 if you have the means.
dynchel
dynchel
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by sportster_restorer Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:00 pm

I'm finding good 5.3s around Austin for as little as $500. I'd love to consider a 6.0 but everyone's already heard about the value of 6.0s and prices have gone up accordingly.

sportster_restorer
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:21 pm

sportster_restorer wrote:I'm finding good 5.3s around Austin for as little as $500. I'd love to consider a 6.0 but everyone's already heard about the value of 6.0s and prices have gone up accordingly.

Theres a plug and play with trans 5.3 Local to me ( Northern Illinois ) for 3200 bucks ( outta my range with trying to save for house )
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by sportster_restorer Tue Jan 27, 2015 6:33 pm

$3200! Wow these things are bringing some prices up there. I've found good complete 6.0s for $1500 here albeit with no trans. I think I can find complete 5.3s with a 4L60E for $1000 here. Then again, Texas is the land of trucks, so there's getting to be a few engines here.

With the snow that New England just had, I'm betting there will be more than a few bent up trucks with good LS engines on the market.

sportster_restorer
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:05 pm

sportster_restorer wrote:I just discovered my VIN has a U as the engine code. For a 1974, I think that means it was an original 400 cu. in. motor. Unfortunately, the engine is a 350 confirmed from the engine code on the front pad and the balancer. Decoding it seems to indicate a motor from a 79 350. Haven't had the valve covers off to see the cylinder head numbers.

If your car started life as a Laguna, a lot of it has changed over the years. It w would depend on whether you intend to restore to orig or customize to your liking or a combo of both. 74s had several different engine options, including a 350. Plus, the fender badges were kind of hit and miss in 74. I've seen them with and without. Are the lower stripes red or black? I can't tell from the pic.
Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:22 pm

sportster_restorer wrote:$3200! Wow these things are bringing some prices up there. I've found good complete 6.0s for $1500 here albeit with no trans. I think I can find complete 5.3s with a 4L60E for $1000 here. Then again, Texas is the land of trucks, so there's getting to be a few engines here.

With the snow that New England just had, I'm betting there will be more than a few bent up trucks with good LS engines on the market.

Sorry was an LS1 out of 2002 Trans am. 4L60e trans. 42k miles on it. compression test is 6 cylinders over 150. one was 147 and another was 142, Complete setup.. trans, motor, ecu harness, etc.
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down