G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Got my next project.

5 posters

Go down

Got my next project.  Empty Got my next project.

Post by Damon23 Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:51 pm

They are small battles but important as a whole. This one is the heater selector slider. The slider on top moves freely. The one that goes from heat to cold moves from cold to about the middle and becomes very tight. I had to use a pair of pliers to move it to hot. I pulled the glove box and followed the cable and it looks good with no binds in it. Any ideas on what to look at or where to lube it?

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Got my next project.  Empty Re: Got my next project.

Post by fasrnur Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:00 pm

I had the same problem and took it out and just lubed up everything. Kept moving it until it was freed up Damon.
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:09 pm

So you removed the cable or the whole unit? It looks pretty tight up there. I don't know if it's worth it to remove the box for.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:03 pm

Here are top and bottom pics of where that Hot/Cold lever usually binds.  I'm pointing to the forward pivot pin on top.  On the bottom of the forward pin, there is a peg that must slide and that can cause binding.  Thirdly, there is a pivot pin just in front of the vacuum control box that needs to be lubed.  You'll need to remove the instrument bezel...then, the three front screws that hold the Temp Control A$$'y in the dash.  It won't come out very far without removing the wire connectors...but, should come out enough to give you access to these points.

Got my next project.  Tempco10

Got my next project.  Tempco11
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by fasrnur Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:43 am

Damon, Steve explained it better than I could and that's exactly what I did to mine as well. Thanks Steve!
fasrnur
fasrnur
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Damon23 Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:26 am

Got it apart. The mechanisms move freely as well as the door. The cable was bent at the door end causing the issue. Straightened and lubed and now works well. Now the snowball effect of cleaning up the dash bezel. I personally do not care for the modern radio but the cut the crap out of the dash so I guess it is what it is.

Damon23
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by impalamonte Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:51 am

I too had the issue. I found the bracket on the HVAC box under the passenger side of the dash just below the left corner of the glove box to be the culprit.
That bracket gets loose at the screw holding it to the plastic HVAC box. But , I found the hole in the bracket where metal to metal contact for activation of that "hot / cold" mechanism is where it was binding. I removed the cable allowing me to slide it through the bracket. Removed the bracket , then enlarged the hole in the bracket with a drill bit. In my case , problem solved.
impalamonte
impalamonte
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:01 am

I too had that problem. Got a cable at the junkyard years ago. Good now.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down