G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dont trust anyone, my rear bumper experience

+2
Roadcaptain S3
JF74chevelle
6 posters

Go down

Dont trust anyone, my rear bumper experience Empty Dont trust anyone, my rear bumper experience

Post by 1975 S3 Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:53 pm

Ok folks, heres a story. As many of you know i had been looking for a correct rear bumper for my 75 S3. Found one at Century in Philly and talked to Bob who apparently runs the place. was sent photos of bumper and they looked great, was assured that bumper was in excellent condition ready to bolt on and from the pics it looked good to go.

I am in Canada so I arranged shipping to Port Huron and picked it up on my vacation. Back to Canada and in the shop we opened up the packaging and it looked great...then my buddy said hang on, "there's a dent in it", actually there was two. One was a shallow dent in the left lower flat and the other was a 1 inch deep bump behind the rub strip. Neither were visible in the photos.

So "In for a penny in for a pound' I send it to Cambridge Chrome to have the dents removed and a re chrome. Job takes one week and everything looks good, except in natural light there is visible runs under the chrome draining out from the rub strip mounting holes. I take it back to the chrome shop and it takes them six weeks to fix their error. When I go to pick up the bumper the lady that runs the shop didn't even say sorry but points at the bumper on the floor and leaves the room. There's some good customer service...not

Bumper looks good now and hopefully over the winter i can remove the marks on the rub strip with a heat gun and have it mounted up in the spring.
1975 S3
1975 S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Dont trust anyone, my rear bumper experience Empty Re: Dont trust anyone, my rear bumper experience

Post by JF74chevelle Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:28 pm

I hate that stuff, customer service is a main reason for me to give a place my business. At least it’s sorted out now for you
JF74chevelle
JF74chevelle
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Dont trust anyone, my rear bumper experience Empty Re: Dont trust anyone, my rear bumper experience

Post by Roadcaptain S3 Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:47 pm

Seems you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a thief or a con man. Especially on long distance deals. I'm really trying to stick to stuff that I can see first hand and only use services recommended by friends.
I've been burned a couple of times like this. It's a shame that so few people have any integrity.
It makes restoring theses G3s so much harder because parts are so few and far between.

Roadcaptain S3
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by S3SS Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:03 pm

Hey Dave

I've seen it since our last show together. Looks great... Though to your point we've all been burned before including people selling nos items with no packaging is suspect and in some cases deceptive.. Everyone plays dumb...
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by 1975 S3 Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:43 pm

I guess Bob; only looked and photo’d it from 20 feet and from there it was good to go, The chrome shop treatment made a bad experience worse. On the positive side I have a correct rear bumper for the S3 and the car’s complete.
1975 S3
1975 S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:55 am

I don't suppose the chrome shop at least gives any kind warranty against defects?
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by ant7377 Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:17 pm

What did the chrome shop charge you in Canada? Just wondering.
ant7377
ant7377
G3GM Addict
G3GM Addict

Street Cred : 36

Back to top Go down

Post by 1975 S3 Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:15 pm

thatfnthing wrote:I don't suppose the chrome shop at least giveshttps://www.g3gm.com/post?p=108517&mode=quote any kind warranty against defects?
chrome shop fixed the prolem, just took a while
1975 S3
1975 S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down