G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help with headliner

5 posters

Go down

Help with headliner Empty Help with headliner

Post by Zaptiah Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:40 am

I would like to reolace the headliner while im in the process of fixing my interior plastic. I just dont kniw where or what to get and what the colors are called. I have a red interior that is a hair darker than the firethorn (from age?) So i dont know what colow red my headliner should be. Who has the correct or best type? Is one easier to install? Anyone done it and have any tips? Thanks all 😀

Zaptiah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Help with headliner Empty Re: Help with headliner

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:20 pm

I believe the only shade of red interior available in 1973 was Dark Oxblood. You can confirm by finding the color codes on the cowl plate located on the passenger side below the windshield. Post the numbers if you need help.

I haven't personally installed a headliner...but, have removed many of them. Factory ones are no big deal. They are hung from bows sewn into the fabric and spray adhesive was used to secure the outer edges. Others on here can share where and what they've found for aftermarket headliners.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaptiah Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:52 pm

Mcarlo77 wrote:I believe the only shade of red interior available in 1973 was Dark Oxblood.  You can confirm by finding the color codes on the cowl plate located on the passenger side below the windshield.  Post the numbers if you need help.

Thanks for the input it helps. Can you tell me where exactly this cowl plate would be on an A/C car? under the hood? in the door jamb? on the firewall or fender?

Zaptiah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:32 pm

Lift the hood and look on the passenger side cowl panel right below the windshield. It's a "Body by Fisher" metal tag that measures about 2" x 3"...most likely painted over. Second line will give the factory codes for Trim (look for TR). First set of numbers/letters are interior.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaptiah Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:09 am

Mcarlo77 wrote:Lift the hood and look on the passenger side cowl panel right below the windshield.  It's a "Body by Fisher" metal tag that measures about 2" x 3"...most likely painted over.  Second line will give the factory codes for Trim (look for TR).  First set of numbers/letters are interior.

awesome Very Happy thanks for the help. i will be able to figure it out now.

Zaptiah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Help with headliner Empty Paint supplier with excellent results...

Post by S3SS Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:34 am

Hi

For interior paint supply and service. Please see link below they were absolutely great to deal with and match to original is OEM correct. Love the product and lays well on plastic and other materials..

http://www.tcpglobal.com/
S3SS
S3SS
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaptiah Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:56 am

S3SS wrote:Hi

For interior paint supply and service. Please see link below they were absolutely great to deal with and match to original is OEM correct. Love the product and lays well on plastic and other materials..

http://www.tcpglobal.com/

Thanks for the tip. I had already decided to go with SEM coating for the interior color. they also have the factory match colors but more importantly I have a local distibutor that will do custom color matches.

So now I just need to know what the best brand or manufacturer of the headliner is. I got the body tag and am decoding it now.

Zaptiah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:22 am

I recommend Acme headliners. Best place and price I've found it rockauto.com About $80.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaptiah Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:52 am

Thank you everyone for the help I have finally found the resources and have a new one for you all at the GM heritage center.

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/docs/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits/Chevelle/1973-Chevrolet-Chevelle.pdf

this is a direct link to a VERY detailed PDF about our cars. this is specifically the 73 obviously so here is the menu page for all the years

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits.html

It turns out my car is more correct than I thought and has the correct Red Metallic paint and the cloth interior parks are called Dark Oxblood. time to order more parts Very Happy Hope the links help some of you all.

Zaptiah
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:30 pm

That link is a sticky on here, by that way...

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum