G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fiber optics

5 posters

Go down

fiber optics Empty fiber optics

Post by FumiyoG3 Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:25 pm

Did any Lagunas, or any G-3 Chevelle/Malibu, have fiber optics as an option?  I am not sure.  I would like to find out.  Anyone know?  I think they did but don't know for sure. I have only seen two cars with them, both in Craigslist ads. A good way might be to find a list of every available option from the factory.  Does anyone know of any literature such as this?  I have a manual for the '96 Impala SS I used to have, and it has a comprehensive list like that.

Here's an pic from an old ad I saved of a '77 Malibu with them.  Ignore the color if you can.  Shocked

fiber optics 77_mal10
FumiyoG3
FumiyoG3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

fiber optics Empty Re: fiber optics

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:29 pm

Only fiber optics I've ever seen are for the optional ashtray light.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:08 pm

I've seen some plastic-based fiber optics on some Caddies and Oldsmobiles from back then for turn signals and lamp-out indicators, but I wasn't aware of anything for G3's.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:18 pm

Yep...I recently pulled some fender mounted turn signal/lamp indicator fiber optics off a '76 Cadillac Deville for a guy in Cairo. But, as mentioned, I've only seen the ashtray lights on our gen of "A" bodies.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by FumiyoG3 Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:03 pm

I first learned of the vigilite fiber optics option from being into '68 Impala SS427's.  They were an option on '68 Caprice and Impala (see pics), and I believe also in '69.  I didn't know they were so rare and now i'm bummed because before I knew any better I sold a '68 Caprice parts car with fiber optics on it.  

Anyway, I recently saw another G3- this time a '74 Laguna with the fiber optics fender mounted turn signal indicators, similar to that blue one in my first post.  I don't know if it was a factory option or aftermarket. If it is factory it must be one of the most rare options on a G3.

fiber optics 13964711
fiber optics 13964710
FumiyoG3
FumiyoG3
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by pila Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:54 pm

I've owned Cadillacs that had those on the front fenders..Maybe a salvage yard would be a place to find some..

pila
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:48 am

I found this fiber optic "pin wheel" on a '71 Riviera boattail today when pulling some parts for a guy. This was attached to the back of the instrument cluster housing and could feed as many as 6 cables of light to the dash via a bulb that was installed in it's center hub. Pretty cool!

fiber optics 71rivi10
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:14 am

Yes it is!
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by McCauley5983 Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:04 am

I hate those dumbass things theres a reason they are rare every truck I have that has that thing has no dash lights your not missing g out on anything
McCauley5983
McCauley5983
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:35 am

Obviously, these weren't designed to light up a dash panel. On the G3 ash trays, it just cast a little mood lighting. Based on where the two leads went on the Riviera, it just cast a back light thru a couple of small colored plastic lenses as switch indicators.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down