G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opera Window Trim

+2
Hs1973
thatfnthing
6 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Opera Window Trim Empty Opera Window Trim

Post by 76 Malibu Sun May 12, 2019 4:03 pm

My plastic opera window trim on my '76 Malibu is pretty rough. I see they make a repro version now, but it's far from cheap. Summit sells the OPG part:

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/opg-g240820

Has anyone bought these before? Are they worth the high price of admission?
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Opera Window Trim Empty Re: Opera Window Trim

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun May 12, 2019 5:49 pm

Can't vouch for the fit of the repros...but, they're your only option unless you find a used set of stainless ones from a '73. BTW...you just missed a nice set on e-Bay that were a steal at $70 a couple weeks ago.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by thatfnthing Sun May 12, 2019 9:21 pm

They're chrome plated plastic, so not as good as original stainless ones, and frankly grossly overpriced IMO. And you still need to track down the stainless corner pieces.
thatfnthing
thatfnthing
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 65

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun May 12, 2019 9:53 pm

Can buy them from The Parts Place for much less.  Probably the same manufacturer.

https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/product/1976/1976-chevrolet-chevelle-malibu-formal-opera-window-trim-gm-9735922-9735923-limited-quantity-pr/53852
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Mon May 13, 2019 10:41 am

I bought them for my 75 chevelle when they Came out with the repros. They fit ok but are fragile plastic. However when fitted they look ok. I put them in hot water first to make the a little more pliable. I put them in lower corners first, then the top and little stainless corner last. Patience is key and hot water and a little soap makes them easier to fit. Just be sure the edge around the window is as flat as possible as the grove in the trim is small and tight, it will crack the plastic if the edge is to Thick for the grove to swallow. Im not sure they are worth the money they ask, but mine is on now and sit fine for now.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Post by Tom77 Mon May 13, 2019 2:13 pm

Opera Window Trim Hooter10

Pricey but mine where metal and fit and finish were good.
Tom77
Tom77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Fri May 17, 2019 4:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback.  My original ones are plastic and in very poor shape.  The stainless corner pieces are in good shape though.  I agree, these seem way overpriced, price gouging at its finest.  

Did they make the small opera trim in stainless steel too?  I thought just the big windows came in stainless. Does anyone make stainless repros?  

Mcarlo77 wrote:Can buy them from The Parts Place for much less.  Probably the same manufacturer.

https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/product/1976/1976-chevrolet-chevelle-malibu-formal-opera-window-trim-gm-9735922-9735923-limited-quantity-pr/53852

That is way cheaper.  I will have to see if they will ship up to Canada.  Summit is great for shipping to Canada, which is why I checked there first.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Fri May 17, 2019 5:15 pm

My mistake...there were no stainless moldings for Chevelle small windows in '73 because there weren't any small windows. Well, that's not entirely true as there was a small window provided on some Chevelles...but, that window was of a different shape than what became more prominent in '74 & up. Unfortunately, the stainless trims on the small windows in the '73 Buicks & Olds were not interchangeable with Chevy. And, no...stainless trims are NOT being reproduced.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mitchell Murphy Sun May 19, 2019 9:17 am

To Mcarlo 77, you had sent a message first regarding the El Camino bed trim, and had not heard back from you. Another member has contacted me and has all but tail gate molding, let me know, since you were the first one to respond, before proceeding with another, thank you, Mitch

Mitchell Murphy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun May 19, 2019 10:01 am

Hey, Mitchell...I couldn't find the pcs I thought I had. Most likely, I sold them and just didn't recall it. So, grab what you can while it's still available. Good luck!
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down