G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

73 SS El Laguna?

+3
74MonteCarlo
Limey SE
moneypit73
7 posters

Go down

73 SS El Laguna? Empty 73 SS El Laguna?

Post by BlackChevelleSS Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:24 pm

Theres a local guy that has a real nice all original 73 SS 454 El camino that he keeps trying to sell me. He wants $3500 for it, all original drivetrain unrestored and just needs paint. It has a laguna front that he says is original. Did el caminos come with laguna fronts from the factory?

I have yet to see it in person, just from the guy who keeps trying to get me to buy it.

73 SS El Laguna? SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

73 SS El Laguna? Empty Re: 73 SS El Laguna?

Post by moneypit73 Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:27 pm

i do believe so. might be a SS car!
moneypit73
moneypit73
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:32 am

I've never heard of a Laguna front end on an Elky unless it's a conversion. Not only that, but if it's an SS it shouldn't have a Laguna trim package anyways. In 73 the Laguna wasn't the sport model, but the luxury model from what I've seen.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:10 am

if i remember reading my canada documtation from GM NO elky's that WERE an SS model came with a laguna snout........... but non SS models could be ordered if you knew the code for the laguna trim treatment

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:03 am

Bingo.

http://www.chevelles.com/elcamino/laguna_ec.htm

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:25 pm

Wow, that Laguna Elky is cool! Neat to know that they did exist later in the years. I still don't think you could order the SS Elky with Laguna options in 73 though. Remember, even though Laguna is commonly associated with G3 performance, in 1973 it was a luxury option. Ordering a Laguna SS El Camino wouldn't really make sense. Kind of like a 70 LS6 with air conditioning. Wink On the other hand, if it really is all factory I bet it's probably a special order.

Dan, you say you haven't seen it. Is there a possibility that the guy doesn't know exactly what he has & is just saying it has the Laguna front? You know kind of like the guy you run into at a gas station that says "My Cutlass has a 442 Rocket" or similar nonsense that I've heard out of people's mouths.

Not saying I don't think a Laguna SS Elky is impossible, just saying it would be nice to see before I'm convinced. Matter of fact, I would even be convinced if someone showed me proof that a factory Laguna SS Chevelle even existed.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 74MonteCarlo Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:40 pm

Makes perfect sense, Rago.

74MonteCarlo
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:07 pm

your probably right, we get asked about the 73 chevelle all the time... What year is that laguna?

73 SS El Laguna? SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:34 pm

Haha yeah. My wife drove the 76 to work & her boss "a car nut" tried to convince her that my car isn't a Chevelle, it's a Malibu. Apparently Chevelles & Malibus are different cars because a Malibu is a Monte Carlo option, LMAO!

Or better yet, why is it that when I tell people I have a 72 Cutlass, they think G-body No , but when I say I own a 73 Chevelle, they think early A-body? Only until they see the vehicles do they say something like "Oh yeah, ----- (fill in the blank) used to have one of those when I was growing up." Grrrrr, misinformed people aggravate me.

Wait, wait I got one more:
"I got a 283 with camel hump heads & a Powerglide. I put a double pumper & a 3/4 cam in it & it runs 11s in my pickup." Funny thing is when you ask what size the carb & cam is or when you ask what head castings, they look at you like you're crazy. Go ahead & ask next time you hear something like that, it's funny.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:25 pm

Rago wrote:Haha yeah. My wife drove the 76 to work & her boss "a car nut" tried to convince her that my car isn't a Chevelle, it's a Malibu. Apparently Chevelles & Malibus are different cars because a Malibu is a Monte Carlo option, LMAO!

Or better yet, why is it that when I tell people I have a 72 Cutlass, they think G-body No , but when I say I own a 73 Chevelle, they think early A-body? Only until they see the vehicles do they say something like "Oh yeah, ----- (fill in the blank) used to have one of those when I was growing up." Grrrrr, misinformed people aggravate me.

Wait, wait I got one more:
"I got a 283 with camel hump heads & a Powerglide. I put a double pumper & a 3/4 cam in it & it runs 11s in my pickup." Funny thing is when you ask what size the carb & cam is or when you ask what head castings, they look at you like you're crazy. Go ahead & ask next time you hear something like that, it's funny.

hahaha, those are great man.

Check this one out: I'm going to Mimi's Cafe the other night to pick up dinner for the fam, i pull into the pick up spot, and theres these older guys (definitely old enough to have grown up in the time of muscle cars) out there shooting the breeze and im walking in the diner and the guy goes, "Is that a gran torino?"
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by TWBouska AKA Wooderson Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:29 pm

Rago wrote:Wow, that Laguna Elky is cool! Neat to know that they did exist later in the years. I still don't think you could order the SS Elky with Laguna options in 73 though. Remember, even though Laguna is commonly associated with G3 performance, in 1973 it was a luxury option. Ordering a Laguna SS El Camino wouldn't really make sense. Kind of like a 70 LS6 with air conditioning. Wink On the other hand, if it really is all factory I bet it's probably a special order.

Dan, you say you haven't seen it. Is there a possibility that the guy doesn't know exactly what he has & is just saying it has the Laguna front? You know kind of like the guy you run into at a gas station that says "My Cutlass has a 442 Rocket" or similar nonsense that I've heard out of people's mouths.

Not saying I don't think a Laguna SS Elky is impossible, just saying it would be nice to see before I'm convinced. Matter of fact, I would even be convinced if someone showed me proof that a factory Laguna SS Chevelle even existed.

Im sure it probably costed an arm and a leg, but im sure there are a few out there, my girlfriends dads parents had a 66 buick riviera base model but they special ordered the 429 (i believe is the engine displacement on the biggest engine that year) which technically was only available with the wildcat package, so they didnt get the badges or any of the other stuff that came with the package except the big block, obviously i wasnt there for that, but my girlfriends dad drove the car a little bit in high school and said it would smoke just about anything on the street at the time. gotta love all that torque out of those old buicks.

but anyways, back to my point, im sure there are cars out there like that that had some special ordered type stuff, it would definitely be cool if the guy had the build sheet proving all of that came on the car when it was ordered.
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
TWBouska AKA Wooderson
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:24 pm

It was the 425 Nailhead that you're talking about. That was the only engine available in 66. Straight from Hemmings.com:

All Rivieras for 1966 came with the 425-cu.in. "nailhead" V-8, nicknamed for its relatively small valves and their vertical arrangement in the head. These engines are identifiable by their upright rocker covers and rear-mounted distributors. The design dated back to 1953, when it took the place of the venerable straight-eight, powering millions of full-sized Buicks. The 425, marked with the code MW on the front lip of the engine block, was derived from the 401-cu.in. V-8, and shares a great many of that engine's parts. Nailheads are loved for the gobs of torque they produce and for their durability. The standard Riviera engine was a 425 equipped with a Quadrajet carburetor; GS models also got a large chromed air cleaner with a single snorkel and finned aluminum rocker arm covers bearing the Buick name in raised letters.

The dual four-barrel, 600cfm Carter AFB carburetor setup that had been part of the 1965 GS package became a factory option in March of 1966, and just 179 of these code MZ cars were produced; it could also be had as a dealer-installed option, in which case the engine would still wear the MW code. The dual-carburetor setup, which was accompanied by a dual-snorkel chromed air cleaner, is rated at 360hp at 4,400rpm and 465-lbs.ft. of torque at just 2,800 rpm, 20 horsepower more than the single 4-bbl. engine. Because of their distinctive looks, these engines are popular among street rodders, when they can find them.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackChevelleSS Sun Dec 13, 2009 4:14 pm

ok its got a 75 laguna front on it....

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/1502835748.html

73 SS El Laguna? SIG2
BlackChevelleSS
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by The Dude Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:38 am

So it's not a 454 car? If it's a real SS I'd offer $2,000 & see what he says. Noticed he said it has aluminum Vette wheels Thumbs up . Mine are starting to grow on me.
The Dude
The Dude
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by JB2wheeler Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:17 pm

The guy that drives that must be a thirsty dude. JB
JB2wheeler
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down