G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Door glass advise

4 posters

G3GM :: G3 Tech :: Body

Go down

Door glass advise Empty Door glass advise

Post by Hs1973 Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:23 pm

hi guys.

My chevelle has had a hard life before i rescud it from the scrapyard. However i have something that bothers me alot, my Windows are in bad shape with scrathes and even a chip in drivers door glass. I know repop is not availeble, so does anybody know what other makes and years that interchangeable with a 75 2 door chevelle. I would love to find Nice door glass. 

I thought about getting some tinted scrath coated lexan and try to make new ones. I would use the old as a mold and heat the lexan with weight on it to get the curve it needs and then cut it to fit. But im not sure it will give me a result i can use. So i much prefer to try and find oem glass. But ill try the lexan if i cant. 

So all ideas and experience plus input is welcome.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 14

Back to top Go down

Door glass advise Empty Re: Door glass advise

Post by Mcarlo77 Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:22 am

Per Holland Interchange Manual:

'73-'77 Chevelle 2-dr; except El Camino
'73-'74 Century 2-dr; except Luxus & Regal
'75-'77 Century 2-dr; except Custom & Regal
'73-'74 Cutlass 2-dr; except Supreme
'75 Cutlass 2-dr; except Supreme & Salon
'76-'77 Cutlass S 2-dr
'73-'77 Lemans 2-dr

I've been down this road trying to find unscratched used glass for members on here. It's not possible. They all have at a minimum some light scratches where the glass contacted the weathered/gritty felt covered guide brackets when rolled up and down. Your only hope is to find some that are in better shape than what you've got. Good luck.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:49 am

Thanks for the advise. It does give me more options as to finding replacement glass. However i know it is more than difficult to find glass without damage. I Think i will try an experiment with lexan to see how it is to work with. I can get some here with a smoke tint to it, in the correct thickness with a scrath protective coating. I have access to a large oven were i can heat it up. So if i can get it to curve right it just Might be possible to make up replacement Door glass. 

It Might not work but i need to get it out off my head, also it could be a weight saver as there is alot off weight in those doors. Im also contemplating removing the crash bars. I would not if it was a dd, but Being a weekend warrior, only driven on sunny days i feel it would be ok. 

Thank you for the list, i will have my parts guy keep a lookout when they Hunt parts in the us. I cant just buy and have it shipped here as the tax and shipping would kill my budget. So i have to place an order with my regular partshunter and hope they find what i need. Then it will go in a container wich is alot cheaper. 

Regards Henrik.
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:23 am

This process works excellent ! I just did my quarter windows which had quite a few deep scratches caused by me in the 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reb8rqsGvA8&list=FLwayUxLaZjuDGUrUtmg4lgw&index=56&t=0s

The video starts with using 320 grit. I had a couple of scratches that wouldnt come out. I bought some 180 grit. The deep scratches came out in less than a minute. Then I proceeded to 320 and on up to the higher grits like the video suggests. I polished with some Cerium Oxide paste. Came out very nice but still had just a hint of a haze on the rear side. The triangle quarter glass, rear side, is concave. So the 5" pads has a bit of a tough time sitting flat, but it can be done. I dont see any issues with larger glass. Anyway, I ordered some 2000 and 3000 grit Abralon pads but havent had a chance to hit the glass.

This process definitely works very well and is quick. All the sanding is done "dry". I kept my polisher at 1300 rpm as recommended in the video.

After I"m done polishing, I'll wash the glass with water then some 99 percent alcohol then I'll apply Groits Glass Sealant. That stuff is excellent, repels water like crazy and trash and bugs come right off. I clayed all the glass on my buick, alcoholed it, then hit it with the Groits sealant and its real nice.

Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Hs1973 Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:22 am

Dang. I Might try this first. I havent heard of this before, i did a google search some time ago and Came up empty. But this looks like it could at least make them better than now. Thanks alot for the advise. And all off you for Being so helpfull
Hs1973
Hs1973
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Door glass advise Empty window glass tint

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:25 am

A question about g3 glass tint. Was there only clear and green tint options for the 73-77 A body and are all years and brands interchangeable within a body type? My car glass says Soft Ray. Is that a particular term used to define the glass or just marketing? Thanks for any help on this
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:28 am

Soft Ray indicates the green tint (only tint available). And, although many A-body makes/models interchange, it's not across the board. If you need help cross-referencing for your vehicle, let me know. I have a Hollander Parts Interchange manual.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:11 am

Mcarlo77 wrote:Soft Ray indicates the green tint (only tint available).  And, although many A-body makes/models interchange, it's not across the board.  If you need help cross-referencing for your vehicle, let me know.  I have a Hollander Parts Interchange manual.

Thanks Mcarlo. I do have a Hollander Interchange manual (IV) for g3 but it only covers transmission brakes suspension and rear axle. Looking in the back it says volume 4 covers domestic and volume 5 covers foreign. Are there other Hollanders that cover glass and why doesn't Hollander indicate it in the back?
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:24 pm

Here is what I have...copyright 1981. Has just about everything in it. Only thing I've not found is a cross-reference to tranny crossmembers.

Door glass advise Hollan10

Door glass advise Hollan11
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Door glass advise Empty I have the classic cars Hollander by ADP

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:40 pm

I guess I am too literal. I looked for a Hollander book for the 70s era cars and what came up was the Hollander I have stated for classic cars 1965-79. It's thick enough. Apparently this is a reprint of sorts by ADP in 1992. I wouldn't have thought to get something labeled auto truck. I assume the 47th edition is the best for the g3 era
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:06 pm

I don't know how many variations they published. I spotted this on e-Bay years ago and the Seller gave a pretty thorough description as to what all it covered...and, the years up through 1981.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Limey SE and 76Chevelle2Tone like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down