G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Parts Place

4 posters

Go down

The Parts Place Empty The Parts Place

Post by Mcarlo77 Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:50 am

Anybody have any dealing with The Parts Place; specifically, with their shipping costs? I'm interested in buying a repro console storage box to finally properly restore my broken lid hinge...and, as far as I can tell, The Parts Place is the only supplier. I had tried this repair with a piano hinge, but am just not pleased with how it looks. Is it functional... yes. But, I'm a little anal about details and want to do it correctly. Anyway, I first spot this on e-Bay from them @ $69 shipped. I go to their website and they have it for $59. I start the process of checking out and notice they don't quote a firm shipping cost. Rather, they calculate it at a set 20% of sell price and adjust it on your credit card once actual cost is determined. In other words, there is no way to know for certain what you will be actually paying ahead of time for comparison purposes. I've never seen this kind of arrangement from any other supplier. Now, I've done enough buying and selling over the years to have a general feel for shipping costs and there is no way it's going to be less expensive to buy from them direct rather than thru their e-Bay listing. And, since they are incurring e-Bay listing/transaction fees, how is it that they can't at least sell it for the same price if not for less? Just weird marketing strategy IMO....
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

The Parts Place Empty Re: The Parts Place

Post by Limey SE Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:11 am

There have been a few members here that have bought from Parts Place and I think It will be More than the Ten dollars to ship to you from them So why not just get the free shipping ? Plus I dont think alot of people realize they have an Actual storefront

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:26 am

I've purchased that same console box from them on Ebay among several other parts. They always had free shipping attached so there were no discrepancies with the total cost. Never bought anything from their website. The parts are of good quality but as usual, for our generation of vehicles, things are a bit pricey. I've successfully repaired a console storage box hinge with the cover of a plastic pocket folder. It was a textured black flexible plastic that blended in well with the original hard plastic. I used a combination of plastic glue and a hot iron for plastic welding to complete the repair. This was done on the "back" side of the top lid and bottom box so it's not obvious it's been fixed. It's still intact and operational after 12 years. You can view the homemade repair in this video below at about the 30 second mark. Hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP_xSlGHqAg
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Mitchell Murphy Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:33 am

Yes, I have ordered several things from Parts Place, item as large s a gas tank, other smaller things. Never had a problem on ordering or returning for credit. Always treated me good.Just recently ordered shifter knob, 74-77. Good folks to deal with. I am glad they are offering some items for our cars. They are the only game in town. Hope this helps-Mitch

Mitchell Murphy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 7

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:33 am

My issue wasn't with their quality or customer service per se...just that I thought their system of not being able to reveal shipping costs at time of checkout was very odd and outdated compared to 99% of the other online retailers. I did order the storage box from them off their e-Bay listing and it arrived within a couple days. Fitment was good. Hopefully, the plastic hinge will last.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down