G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crate engine question

+2
Hawk03
KC77Monte
6 posters

Go down

Crate engine question Empty Crate engine question

Post by KC77Monte Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:17 pm

Has anyone had any experience with either of these engines. Thinking of replacing the 305 with one of these. Pros, cons.

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19420194.html

https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/parts/19355658.html
KC77Monte
KC77Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Crate engine question Empty Re: Crate engine question

Post by Hawk03 Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:57 pm

I have the 350/265 engine. I think we installed it in 2015 and it has run good since installing. I haven't put that many miles on it but I haven't had any issues with it. I probably have around 1,500 miles on it since it was installed. We bought it from Jegs with one of their packages. I wanted a bigger hp motor but realized that I wasn't going to do any races and the 260 (thats what it was rated when I bought it) was way more than the tired 305 that I had before.

Crate engine question 20141212

Crate engine question 20131211

Crate engine question 20130910

Crate engine question 809-1010
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

KC77Monte likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:22 am

I also had gotten the 260 version for a 64 impala I was working on to replace the worn out 283.  If you want a cruiser it’s a reliable engine.  I also got mine through summit. Jegs and summit usually have deals that are cheaper than going through Chevrolet.  Atk performance engines is also a good alternative and you can get them with more power.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by KC77Monte Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:14 pm

Thanks guys. I think these have enough power for us. It's a cruiser we do car shows, cruise nights, and saturday night cruising around town with the wife. These should be enough
KC77Monte
KC77Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:30 pm

Just be aware that the 260 hp rating is with headers, intake, 4 barrel 600, etc. In stock form it’ll be closer to 200.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by KC77Monte Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:50 pm

bracketchev1221 wrote:Just be aware that the 260 hp rating is with headers, intake, 4 barrel 600, etc.  In stock form it’ll be closer to 200.

Yeah all that was already part of the plan.
KC77Monte
KC77Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:35 am

Do not get the 290 HP version! The 260 HP is the same 350 that would have come standard in our cars - actual 7.8:1 compression with the old cam that was used on all the small blocks up to the 400. Not a bad engine, runs on low octane gas and will has plenty of low end torque. I bought one years ago as something to drop in a chassis when I needed a temp small block - they were $1,300 delivered back then.

As for the 290 HP version, it has too much cam for the low compression. The only difference it instead of the old stock cam, it has the Corvette L82 cam which really should have 10:1 compression. Low end torque suffers (personal experience).

The 260 HP crate is a good base if you want to add Vortec heads (9:1 compression) and step up the cam, or leave it as is.
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by KC77Monte Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:39 pm

bracketchev1221 wrote:Just be aware that the 260 hp rating is with headers, intake, 4 barrel 600, etc.  In stock form it’ll be closer to 200.

So any advise on a good intake and carb for this engine? I'm clueless to cam sizes, carbs and intakes and crap like that.
KC77Monte
KC77Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Sun Jan 17, 2021 7:45 pm

With the cam in the 260hp version, get a Performer, not Perforner RPM, (idle to 5500RPM) and a 600 cam carb of your choice. Looks like you need an HEI distributor and wires as well. You can get those at the auto parts store or look in the classified section on this site. I’m pretty sure that you can find everything that you need right here and save a boat load of money. What kind of exhaust system do you have?
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by KC77Monte Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:06 pm

REVINKEVIN wrote:With the cam in the 260hp version, get a Performer, not Perforner RPM, (idle to 5500RPM) and a 600 cam carb of your choice.  Looks like you need an HEI distributor and wires as well. You can get those at the auto parts store or look in the classified section on this site. I’m pretty sure that you can find everything that you need right here and save a boat load of money. What kind of exhaust system do you have?

Don't have a complete set of exhaust yet. I bought a stainless dual exhaust kit from jegs a few years back when it was on sale. No headers as of yet.
KC77Monte
KC77Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:37 pm

Well you have 2 choices if yours is a 4 barrel now.  You can go with the edelbrock performer and use the quadrajet off your engine.  Or for a Holley, I like the performer eps intake.  It’s based on the performer intake but has a square bore pad for a Holley. For a carb, I don’t know the numbers anymore but a vacuum secondary 600 is fine.  I think it was part number 80457 for the 600.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by KC77Monte Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:37 pm

bracketchev1221 wrote:Well you have 2 choices if yours is a 4 barrel now.  You can go with the edelbrock performer and use the quadrajet off your engine.  Or for a Holley, I like the performer eps intake.  It’s based on the performer intake but has a square bore pad for a Holley. For a carb, I don’t know the numbers anymore but a vacuum secondary 600 is fine.  I think it was part number 80457 for the 600.

It's the 305 with the 2 barrel. The performer was one I was thinking about. Been shopping around, noticed they have ERG and Non EGR. Is one better than the other?
KC77Monte
KC77Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:55 am

It depends on how modified you’d like to go.  Non egr is better for hp.  However egr is better for emissions and cold weather driving.  If you want to use a quadrajet or maintain all the factory emissions and the egr valve, go with the base performer intake.  If you want to eliminate the egr valve and use a Holley carb go with the performer eps.  If you want to keep the egr valve and use a Holley, go with the performer but make sure you get the adapter plate from spread bore to square bore to help carb gasket seal.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by KC77Monte Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:00 pm

Well I ordered the engine yesterday from Jegs. My local GM dealer didn't have one in stock and said he had no idea when one would arrive if ordered from them. Said they have had trouble getting anything from GM for about the last year. So now it's just rounding up the other parts to get it together.
KC77Monte
KC77Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bracketchev1221 Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:04 am

If I remember right, you need a balancer and a bolt, the engine should come with the 2 pointers. Everything should be there to install the fuel pump, and then you will need the intake to make a complete engine. Otherwise all your accessories will transfer over.
bracketchev1221
bracketchev1221
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Back to top Go down

Post by KC77Monte Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:24 pm

bracketchev1221 wrote:If I remember right, you need a balancer and a bolt, the engine should come with the 2 pointers.  Everything should be there to install the fuel pump, and then you will need the intake to make a complete engine.  Otherwise all your accessories will transfer over.  

ordered the balancer today. Will the bolt come with it or do I need to pick one up as well?
KC77Monte
KC77Monte
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:54 am

I have always had to buy a new one.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:44 am

KC77Monte wrote:
bracketchev1221 wrote:If I remember right, you need a balancer and a bolt, the engine should come with the 2 pointers.  Everything should be there to install the fuel pump, and then you will need the intake to make a complete engine.  Otherwise all your accessories will transfer over.  

ordered the balancer today. Will the bolt come with it or do I need to pick one up as well?

Kenny let me see if I sent mine Back they Mistakingly sent me a SBC balancer Bolt kit when I ordered one for my BBC before ya Order

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by KC77Monte Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:28 pm

Sure thing Limey let me know. No hurry
KC77Monte