G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new guy from Illinois

+4
Limey SE
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
bucket
Arizona77442
8 posters

Go down

new guy from Illinois Empty new guy from Illinois

Post by Arizona77442 Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:16 pm

Hi Guys and Gals, My name is Joe ...I have a 77 442 with a 403 that I dragged back from Tucson Arizona about 15 years ago. I plan to run a Gm Performance Chevy Bigblock, either a 454 or a 502.I have had a bunch of 76-77 Cutlass's over the years and most were Chevy small block powered.

Arizona77442
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

new guy from Illinois Empty Re: new guy from Illinois

Post by bucket Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:08 pm

Howdy!

Olds guys probably give you a lot of flak for that huh? A big block Chevy is hard to beat though!

bucket
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 3

Arizona77442 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:16 pm

Being an "old timer" I would say stick with the 403. A buddy of mine has one in his 79 Trans Am and it runs like a raped ape. I'm also somewhat partial to keeping a Cutlass "all Olds" since I now have a 75 Hurst Olds with a 455. It's not a screamer.....yet. But love the 76 and 77 442s. Those are great looking cars. Love to see some pics of your project.

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Arizona77442 Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:09 pm

The Olds guys dont know about my plans yet... It has a mildly built 403 with #5 heads, Holley Street Dominator intake, Carb shop quadrajet, Mondello 488/496 cam, headers, and a few other add ons. At one point, I wanted to keep it somewhat original but now have decided that I just want something I can beat on without worrying about it blowing up...Thats why I plan to ditch the Olds 403 and go Sbc or BBc..

Arizona77442
G3GM Newbie
G3GM Newbie

Street Cred : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:55 pm

Welcome aboard Joe see I told ya Join years ago LOL

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:47 pm

Whatever route you take we'd love to see pictures of the progress. And oh, yes, welcome to the forum!
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Iggy Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:24 am

Welcome! Being an "Olds Guy" myself - I thing a Big Block Chevy is a much better choice than a 403 Small Block Olds. You can build a better 454 for less money than GM wants for a "crate" BBC. The new Chevrolet Performance big block (Gen VI Block) available over the counter has provisions for Mark VI, Gen V and Gen VI heads. For the street I would build one with a set of the old 781 or 049 casting Large Oval Port heads that have been blended and ported - maintain the low end torque big blocks are famous for and still have plenty of top end.
Iggy
Iggy
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:16 pm

Iggy wrote:Welcome!  Being an "Olds Guy" myself - I thing a Big Block Chevy is a much better choice than a 403 Small Block Olds.  You can build a better 454 for less money than GM wants for a "crate" BBC.  The new Chevrolet Performance big block (Gen VI Block) available over the counter has provisions for Mark VI, Gen V and Gen VI heads.  For the street I would build one with a set of the old 781 or 049 casting Large Oval Port heads that have been blended and ported - maintain the low end torque big blocks are famous for and still have plenty of top end.

SOUND ADVISE @Joe

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Dinomyte Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:29 am

Welcome! Looking forward to some pictures and progress . . .
Dinomyte
Dinomyte
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Flywheel Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:24 am

Welcome aboard! Did a lot of riding around in Cutlass' when I was in high school.
Flywheel
Flywheel
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by 76 Malibu Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:49 pm

Welcome! It sounds like your Cutlass will be a cool project. It should be pretty sweet with a new GMPP big block, although the hard-core Olds guys might not like it. Does the 403 still run? I had a 403 that was pulled from a '79 Firebird with some mild mods for a project car. Unfortunately the engine was destroyed before I got to use it.
76 Malibu
76 Malibu
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down