G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plastic seatbelt sleeves

+2
Mcarlo77
dhw3971
6 posters

Go down

Plastic seatbelt sleeves Empty Plastic seatbelt sleeves

Post by dhw3971 Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:42 pm

Mine broke in half years ago. Anyone got a line on where to buy correct replacements, or even incorrect replacements?

I found these online, but don't know if they will fit.

https://www.seatbeltplanet.com/i-30498146-12-plastic-sleeves-for-push-button-buckles.html?ref=category:1389309
dhw3971
dhw3971
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 3

Back to top Go down

Plastic seatbelt sleeves Empty Re: Plastic seatbelt sleeves

Post by Mcarlo77 Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:15 pm

I spotted these when searching for option to replace some sleeves for swivel bucket belts. My originals measure around 14" lg. I also have a pair of std bucket belts and those sleeves measure around 13"lg. Suppose they could work if you don't mind the end buckle flopping around at the top.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 77

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:48 pm

When I restored my 76 SS El Camino about 10 years back I ended up using the inner seat belt buckles from a late 80's/early 90's Cavalier. They are a couple inches shorter but fit better against the bucket seats. Our factory ones stick up a couple inches farther than the seat does which in turn makes the hard plastic sleeve bend more than it should causing them to crack. You can use the original buckles from the Cavalier but you'll need to modify the factory male latch to ensure it locks correctly. I ended up removing the Cavalier latch mechanisms and sewed my original buckle in its place. They worked perfectly. Also, some of the B body cars of the early and mid nineties will work as well. But all these are getting harder and harder to find. Let us know what solution you come up with.

Plastic seatbelt sleeves Seat_b10
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Hawk03 Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:03 pm

I modified third gen camaro belts to work. The passenger side for the drivers and drivers side for the passenger then used 2000 (I think) passenger side cavalier buckles.  

Plastic seatbelt sleeves 20200618
Hawk03
Hawk03
G3GM Enthusiast
G3GM Enthusiast

Street Cred : 18

g3chevy / Mr Pontiac likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:44 pm

Hawk! Nice job on your interior.
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
REVINKEVIN / Mr. 600+HP
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 19

Hawk03 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by dhw3971 Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:17 pm

hmm...I may just have to stick with what's left of the sleeves.

To replace them, isn't it necessary to remove a bolt from the floorboard? I'm wondering if mine would even come out!
dhw3971
dhw3971
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by g3chevy / Mr Pontiac Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:03 pm

dhw3971 wrote:hmm...I may just have to stick with what's left of the sleeves.  

To replace them, isn't it necessary to remove a bolt from the floorboard? I'm wondering if mine would even come out!

Yes, you have to remove the anchor bolts to remove the sleeves. If your bolts are rusty like many are, get under the vehicle and take a wire brush to the exposed threads to clean them as best you can. Then soak them with rust penetrant for 24hrs and give it a try.
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
g3chevy / Mr Pontiac
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:54 pm

Those torx head bolts (T50) can be a bitch if you live in the Rust Belt. Guys up here often have to heat them up from underneath with a torch before putting the impact wrench to them. Be careful when using that T50...a couple of slips with the bit and you'll round out the inside of the bolt head and that creates a whole 'nother problem in removal.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by bucket Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:14 pm

Most of the GM seatbelt bolts I've dealt with are actually a T47 torx. A T50 will work, but is not a proper fit.

Besides forming rust over the years, they have loctite on the threads. Heating the threaded area from the underside with a MAPP gas torch usually does wonders to remove the bolts.

bucket
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcarlo77 Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:43 pm

I'll have to disagree with you on the T47 being the correct size. I've removed dozens of them on '73-'77 "A" bodies and the T50 is the preferred size. In fact, I have a couple bolts on my workbench and just tried fitting the T47 vs T50. T47 has some slop in the fitment; whereas the T50 is a nice snug fit (which you'll want to avoid having the bit slip inside the bolt head.
Mcarlo77
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down