G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hooker headers

4 posters

Go down

Hooker headers Empty Hooker headers

Post by Dead Man Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:15 pm

Hello all, sorry if this has been covered I tried to dig it up with no luck, but I just spent several hours trying to get my long tube headers installed on my 73 ss 350. driver side went in fine, passenger side is the hold up, its hitting the frame, and it needs to move over at the bottom to close up the v gap between the header and the head.well I ding it in pretty good but its still not enough, by the time it is enough its going to have one heck of a dent, should I just cut my losses and by another set different brand. any advice would be appreciated.
Dead Man
Dead Man
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Hooker headers Empty Re: Hooker headers

Post by Limey SE Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:03 pm

What were the Headers designed for in first place ?? If not for this body you will issues

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Man Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:07 pm

multiple years and makes. hooker part number is,2451HKR, on the list it has 64-87Chevelle/El Camino.
Dead Man
Dead Man
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:10 pm

did you take the Frame braces off bottom side I had to with all my Long tubes I have ever used ...... and more than Likely will need a Mini starter

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Man Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:18 pm

yes I took those off along with the starter and that did run across my mind if the starter would go back on once and if I could get the header to fit. I may just order a set of hedman headers, these are bashed pretty bad already trying to get it to fit lol.
Dead Man
Dead Man
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:30 pm

I bought Summit branded Headers and fit Nice and were only 135 IIRC BUT were BBC your SBC may be cheaper

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/PTE-H8047-B

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:31 pm

they No Longer offer the set i bought Sorry the ones I posted are around $350

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Dead Man likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:18 am

Ive installed 8-10 sets of FULL LENGTH, headers in my 73 small block since I bought it in 1982.  Ive had black jacks (back in the day), Hooker Competitions (which I still have hanging on the wall), Hedman ceramics and currently in the car Flowmaster Ceramics.  Never had an issue installing them.  Yes the frame braces have to come out.  They all were close to the passenger side frame, just in one spot that required "slight tweaking".  It was very close but a piece of paper would slide between the tube and the frame, so in most cases I left and havent had any issues.  The Flowmaster ceramic in the car now is close and I chose to put a rag an bit socket on the tube and dent it slightly just in case.  I have to say that our body style cars are the easiest install of headers Ive ever done.  Key was height if your on the ground, but on a lift, very easy and quick.  As for the drivers side, if you have a Z bar for a manual trans, the bottom arm is twisted from the factory.  You have to bend it flat and it clears full length headers nicely.

This is the tube that is very close with ceramic headers.  Its close about 4-5 inches down from the top of the frame.

Hooker headers Header12
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Man Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:39 am

thanks for the info guys, on my headers the runners are no where near as straight as yours, the number 3 runner counting from the front, is way over the top of the frame. im going to go a different route but will post a pic just so everyone can see,
Dead Man
Dead Man
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Dead Man Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:48 am

Hooker headers Part_110 keep in mind this is after ive moved the metal in a good bit.
Dead Man
Dead Man
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:38 pm

Dead Man wrote:thanks for the info guys, on my  headers the runners are no where near as straight as yours, the number 3 runner counting from the front, is way over the top of the frame. im going to go a different route but will post a pic just so everyone can see,

from the stock pics from summit of the headers you bought theres no way they should fit our Era vehicles with out alot of Modifications to make fit More like cutting welding back NOT clearencing like you have had to do

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:21 pm

I use Hedman Hedders on my 350 SBC. Went in easier than I expected and even cleared the angled plugs on the bow tie phase II heads. Didn't have to make any mods. Living in the greater Los Angeles area in California, both Headman and Hooker are within ~50 miles of me so if I had a problem, I could have simply taken the headers directly to them.

By the way, once you get your headers to fit, I enthusiastically encourage you to use the NordLock lock washers on the header bolts.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe73 Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:14 pm

I agree on the lock washers. I used the stainless Stage 8 kit on my headers. Also, if your running ceramic headers remember to be easy on the initial heat cycles on them. The new coating needs to bake a bit for durability. I do the same with painting my exhaust parts.
Joe73
Joe73
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down