G3GM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

76 77 Base Malibu interchange Question

3 posters

Go down

76 77 Base Malibu interchange Question Empty 76 77 Base Malibu interchange Question

Post by Limey SE Sun Sep 03, 2023 10:59 am

For the 1976 1977 Base Malibu would have GM put a different REAR Bumper from the classic this stuff is getting ridiculous to say the least with so called experts saying they are 100% different WHY would GM trying to use up as many parts at end of model years make up two different REAR Bumpers for the Base Malibu and the Classic Bumpers, Please say it aint so

Last edited by Limey SE on Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Street Cred : 97

Back to top Go down

76 77 Base Malibu interchange Question Empty Re: 76 77 Base Malibu interchange Question

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:37 am

I'll have to look in the parts manual to see if I can find something. But remember that in 76 and 77 Chevy introduced a different front end for the Classic models with grill and stacked headlights while the base model resembled the 74 and 75 models. So it is possible that some of the attachment parts are different because of that. I don't think the bumper itself is different looking at the few pictures available. Also this would only affect the front bumper.

https://barnfinds.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/1977-Chevrolet-Malibu.jpg
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 0

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

76 77 Base Malibu interchange Question Empty Re: 76 77 Base Malibu interchange Question

Post by Limey SE Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:23 pm

I forgot to ad this was for rear bumper fitment / shape ONLY

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sun Sep 03, 2023 12:55 pm

Limey SE wrote:I forgot to ad this was for rear bumper fitment / shape ONLY

Well this is the picture from your classified 4 door Malibu thread. Obviously there were different rear lamp bezel trims for the base and classic.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f19/12/68/92/73/36745710.jpg
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Limey SE Sun Sep 03, 2023 2:28 pm

76Chevelle2Tone wrote:
Limey SE wrote:I forgot to ad this was for rear bumper fitment / shape ONLY

Well this is the picture from your classified 4 door Malibu thread. Obviously there were different rear lamp bezel trims for the base and classic.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f19/12/68/92/73/36745710.jpg

Right I know buddy, I do believe they were same for the Laguna and Base from what I can tell, then the Classic got the full chrome surrounds

I have also measured the Tails between the Base and my 77 tails they are identical in dimensions 100% and my 77 tail fits the same as it does for the 76 tails into the 76 tail panel

76 77 Base Malibu interchange Question 36740410
76 77 Base Malibu interchange Question 36740511
76 77 Base Malibu interchange Question 36740510

Anthony
Limey SE
Limey SE
Management
Management

76Chevelle2Tone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 76Chevelle2Tone Sun Sep 03, 2023 4:41 pm

Right,
I'm puzzled too what the others are talking about. I've learned to tune out all discussions and controversies where people cannot be bothered to say exactly what the issue or difference is.
76Chevelle2Tone
76Chevelle2Tone
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Limey SE likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by zucchi Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:14 am

Limey SE wrote:…GM trying to use up as many parts at end of model years…
I can't speak for your specific application or issue but I can share odd stuff I discovered on my 1974 Monte Carlo that was made in August of that year. It came with HEI from the factory and the heater/AC blower motor is for a C10 truck. I suspect that the plant exhausted its supply of "correct" blower motors and used whatever they had on hand until they were resupplied with the "correct" motors. As for the ignition, I can only speculate that the assembly plant used up their supply of conventional ignition systems and started using their 1975 model ignitions.

If you think this is maddening, imagine the AMC enthusiasts, especially for cars of the 1970's. AMC was running on a tight budget year after year during that time. To help cut costs, they acquired discarded stocks of various parts from the big-3. For example, Bendix master brake cylinders for the 1968 Cadillac cars equipped with front discs; the first year they were offered. That is a one-year-one-car only part. I don't know why (yet) Cadillac didn't continue using them. AMC bought them all up and used them on some of their wagons and sedans from 1971 through 1976 interchangeably with other bendix and some morane units, depending on what was in the parts bin.
zucchi
zucchi
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down