Lessons learned....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lessons learned....

Post by HDHugger on Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:55 am

So I had my brother come out and change the oil in may car last night, Here is what I learned:

1. When you flood your engine, it is possible that 3 quarts of gas can get into your oil.
2. Just because 11 quarts of fluid drains out, that doesn't mean that you should put 11 quarts back in to fill it. Plus more for the oil filters.
3. If the dipstick says full before you drain the oil, and it takes 12 quarts to register full again on the dipstick, somebody put the wrong diptick in the car.
4. When I get impatent because my husband gets sent out of town for work, it doesn't mean I should tell him I am napping when I am actually having my brother work on my car.
5. My husband is kind of upset with me, and he will probably make me pull the oil plug myself and take the extra gallon of oil out of the pan Sad

On a side note, the "cake pan" looking thing actually is the oil pan, and the drain plug is on the side of it. I'll be getting pretty familiar with that location very soon, along with the feeling of oil all along my arm when I try to get that plug back in after I get the gallon of extra oil out. You can all laugh at the girl with the car now. Ain't it fun!

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Re: Lessons learned....

Post by Roadcaptain S3 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:38 am

HDHugger wrote:So I had my brother come out and change the oil in may car last night, Here is what I learned:

1. When you flood your engine, it is possible that 3 quarts of gas can get into your oil.
2. Just because 11 quarts of fluid drains out, that doesn't mean that you should put 11 quarts back in to fill it. Plus more for the oil filters.
3. If the dipstick says full before you drain the oil, and it takes 12 quarts to register full again on the dipstick, somebody put the wrong diptick in the car.
4. When I get impatent because my husband gets sent out of town for work, it doesn't mean I should tell him I am napping when I am actually having my brother work on my car.
5. My husband is kind of upset with me, and he will probably make me pull the oil plug myself and take the extra gallon of oil out of the pan Sad

On a side note, the "cake pan" looking thing actually is the oil pan, and the drain plug is on the side of it. I'll be getting pretty familiar with that location very soon, along with the feeling of oil all along my arm when I try to get that plug back in after I get the gallon of extra oil out. You can all laugh at the girl with the car now. Ain't it fun!


lol!

Keep at it !!! The boys all have days like that too! Thumbs up
avatar
Roadcaptain S3
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 26

Back to top Go down

Re: Lessons learned....

Post by bigredlaguna on Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:27 am

No worries HD, everyone's learning curve starts somewhere. If I were to draw my learning curve, it would look like a profile of the rocky mountains cause things that once were second nature to me I now have to study a little bit to remember.

That isn't the worst I've heard of though, at least you were checking the level with the dipstick. Not your fault if it was the wrong dipstick. I once bought an engine that needed the seals replaced because the owner thought full of oil literally meant full to the top of the valve cover.
avatar
bigredlaguna
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 46

Back to top Go down

Re: Lessons learned....

Post by coreys73chevelle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:38 pm

everyone here learned it at one point!, a tip...dont take the oil filter off untill about 10 minutes after you took the oil drain pan plug out, it makes sure all the oil is settled and stops big waterfalls from pouring out of the filter. BUT there is still inside the filter so treat it like a full glass of water and try not to spill it. (trust me oil filers have a lot of oil in them and when they get stuck inside your sleeve it sucks)

if you have any questions dont be afraid to ask thats what we are here for!
avatar
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Re: Lessons learned....

Post by coreys73chevelle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:41 pm

someone want to explain to me how gas can get into the oil? never heard of that
avatar
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Re: Lessons learned....

Post by The Dude on Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:22 pm

coreys73chevelle wrote:someone want to explain to me how gas can get into the oil? never heard of that

It's called a wash down in the cylinders & usually it occurs when an engine runs too rich. Unburned fuel seeps past the rings & mixes with the oil. This can cause all kinds of havoc such as scoring cylinders, eating up seals, & even wiping out bearings if it's too bad. Nasty stuff. If you ever smell gas in your oil, change it out ASAP!
avatar
The Dude
Management
Management

Street Cred : 48

Back to top Go down

Re: Lessons learned....

Post by coreys73chevelle on Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:55 pm

THANKS RAGO! +1 cred lol
avatar
coreys73chevelle
G3GM Senior Member
G3GM Senior Member

Street Cred : 8

Back to top Go down

Re: Lessons learned....

Post by BlackChevelleSS on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:16 pm

yes if you have a misfire it can do the same thing.

___________________________________________
www.cardomain.com/id/3115ultima

avatar
BlackChevelleSS
Management
Management

Street Cred : 20

Back to top Go down

Re: Lessons learned....

Post by badbiscayne66 on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:23 pm

sometimes a diaphram in fuel pump can pump gas in oil pan........only seen it on a Furd but it happens
avatar
badbiscayne66
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 2

Back to top Go down

Re: Lessons learned....

Post by JB2wheeler on Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:47 pm

A sticky choke plate will do it also. JB
avatar
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: Lessons learned....

Post by Biomedtech on Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:33 pm

bigredlaguna wrote:That isn't the worst I've heard of though, at least you were checking the level with the dipstick. Not your fault if it was the wrong dipstick. I once bought an engine that needed the seals replaced because the owner thought full of oil literally meant full to the top of the valve cover.

bom LOL back in the day when I was a pump jockey, I had a bluehair stop at the full service pumps in her brand new fleetwood complaining that she just filled up the oil but the motor was making funny noises and smoking like crazy.... Checked the dipstick, totally covered.... Opened up the oil filler, oil lapping at the rim.... Immediately brought the car into a bay and drained out about 8 extra quarts.

She was really lucky but all seemed well, no blown seals or anything. Advised her that 5-6 quarts was the capacity and if she has any other issues take it back to the dealer... Rolling Eyes
avatar
Biomedtech
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 5

Back to top Go down

Re: Lessons learned....

Post by Mcarlo77 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:01 pm

Ummm...anyone ever leave a full drain pan of oil behind the front tire and then back the car down off the ramps when done with the job...spilling roughly five qts of nasty used oil all over the garage floor? Didn't think so...
avatar
Mcarlo77
Donating Member
Donating Member

Street Cred : 57

Back to top Go down

Re: Lessons learned....

Post by dragons_lair59 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:14 pm

did one like that my 84 gp sat low jacked car up put on stands changed oil figured id drop car back up and move pan so i wouldnt spill. yea right !!! backed up cross member caught it splashed oil on underside of car so i pulled forward seen all the oil on new driveaway (not mine) and oil dripping every where

___________________________________________
Sam

If life was fair I would have 150 G3's
avatar
dragons_lair59
Managment
Managment

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Re: Lessons learned....

Post by HDHugger on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:42 pm

Speaking of ramps....

My 1st husband was working on his camaro, and he and a friend needed to get the car up on the ramps. He told me to hit the brakes when he yelled, so they push it up really fast, he yells, I hit the brakes and BAM! The car rolls off the front of the ramps, wedging them under the car. He said "I told you to hit the brakes!" I said, "I did, you moron! They don't work when the battery is disconnected!"

Any wonder why I divorced him?

HDHugger
G3GM Member
G3GM Member

Street Cred : 6

Back to top Go down

Re: Lessons learned....

Post by ant7377 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:47 pm

I backed over a tray of tranny fluid, got it all over the driveway and that was last summer. Ever have an oil filter blow apart just after changing the oil?Defective Fram filter and a big mess.I stepped on an oil bottle once too, what a gusher !
avatar
ant7377
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 31

Back to top Go down

Re: Lessons learned....

Post by JB2wheeler on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:14 am

ant7377 wrote:I backed over a tray of tranny fluid, got it all over the driveway and that was last summer. Ever have an oil filter blow apart just after changing the oil?Defective Fram filter and a big mess.I stepped on an oil bottle once too, what a gusher !
Whatcha expect from Fram, something worth paying for? JB
avatar
JB2wheeler
G3GM Fanatic
G3GM Fanatic

Street Cred : 28

Back to top Go down

Re: Lessons learned....

Post by dragons_lair59 on Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:31 am

fram fiters even so called racing ones either colapse or explode over on racing junk big forum article on them

___________________________________________
Sam

If life was fair I would have 150 G3's
avatar
dragons_lair59
Managment
Managment

Street Cred : 11

Back to top Go down

Re: Lessons learned....

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum